2019 (because it's larger than 2018) Fishermen are Liars Thread

ysr50

Donator
Ewwwwwww.

Oh and we got skunked out, not even a hit, and one line was baited the entire day without so much as a crab bite out of it
When I was a small lad my dad would take me with him when he went surf fishing here. I don't think he gave much of a shit whether or not he caught anything. I think he just wanted to get out of the house and spend some time on the beach putting back a few Coors tall boys. I do remember him catching a couple of sharks, that was always pretty exciting for a little kid. I'd like to think he brought me along because he liked to spend time with me, chances are the only way my mom would stop bitching about it was if he took me with him to keep me out of her hair. I went on some fun adventures with my dad as a youngster because of this sort of behavior.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I know nothing of surf fishing. Do you cast and cast and cast and hope your lure and a fish converge or is there some magic to choosing a spot that escaped you on this trip?

I sat in my boat today and fiddled with the GPS background maps. Found a few new spots to check out the next time I'm on the water.
The answer to your question is yes....

There are a lot of variables, tides, structure, bait fish, water temperature, surf conditions, what’s “running “ ocean fish are migratory and usually run in schools.
I use several methods, if the entire beach is open, 17 miles give or take, and not to crowded, I will move occasionally, the DCNR will close sections because of fucking stupid birds that nest in the tire tracks,. That kind of makes it more difficult to move, and moving doesn’t always work.

I usually fish 2-4 rods with various rigs, usually what is called a “high low rig” a “bait finder” a “fluke rig” those are put out at various distances to soak, I’ve been using just cut squid because it’s the easiest to handle and is usually the most productive bait, I also use “gulp” artificial sometimes with varying success even though people swear by it, and I will have a shorter rod with a plug or spoon that I will cast while I walk up and down the beach, my surf rods are 10-12’ long

A lot of fish are in what is called the “transition water” it’s that spot where after the wave breaks the foamy white water will come up onto the beach, pause, then go back, depending on what you are fishing for that is a good place to cast a plug, let the ocean take it back into the water then reel it in, to mimic a batfish caught in there. I’ve caught a lot of red drum that way.
Now there are guys that will use air cannons and frozen bait projectiles to cast out beyond the sand bar to fish for larger sharks and other larger fish, or use a kayak to take large bait balls out and drop them, they have caught many 50# strippers off the shore on Assitigue, black and red drum the size of toddlers and an 11’ sand tiger a few years ago.

This trip had a few “bah fuck this” things going for it, the piping plovers are nesting so there was only 4miles of beach, I try to pick “fishy looking spots” strange convergence of waves, out crops of beach, points, in the sand, shelves of sand, lots of shells in a line, and birds, if you see a lot of birds chances are there is something they are eating, usually small bait fish. but this time of year I will just choose the spot furthest from the next guy, June isn’t great for much, other than blues or other trash fish, flounder prefer warmer water, drum and strippers prefer colder water and outside temps usually early April and mayor late September into the first week of December. we tried to fish the incoming tide but caught just the tail end of it, once the tide “slacks” you mine as well go home.
This trip I saw a few pelicans just meandering around but not the flocks of gulls or regular sand pipers I usually look for, the surf itself was almost nonexistent and it was that way the entire part of the beach we drove, I’m a creeper so I bring field glasses and will look up and down the beach to see if anyone else is catching anything or if they even have lines out, no one had any action and most guys were just using their rods as “space markers”
It’s fishing not catching, but, when you do catch stuff it’s fun, when you don’t, it’s just another day at the beach.

THE FEZ MAN

That’s a brown shark I caught last year and probably the biggest thing I’ve caught other than skates

A pufferwhich is supposed to be great eating but I threw him back because they are in limited supply

And that’s a short striped bass the plug I’m using floats so you can see I use a weight and a 3’ leader that’s a very productive plug for me I’ve caught several fish on it, the other two fish were caught on high low rigs using squid the balls are floats to keep the bait off the bottom a little

Haeder

South Dakota
Fishing was kinda slow. Weather was perfect. Caught 2 perch and a crappie.

Haeder

South Dakota
My brothers took my boat and went fishing without me. :( I'll meet up with them later today in Pierre. Sounds like they aren't catching many fish right now so at least they can't run it in too hard.

Registering the oldest kid for college cost me almost an entire day of fishing.

THE FEZ MAN

Hit Assitigue yesterday, we actually had a very productive day, we were catching “croakers”
Not my fish just a stock photo we were actually catching so many that I didn’t have time to grab my camera

They are small 10-18” I’ve only ever eaten one and it was gross, but my wife ate it, we did almost loose a rod, something big either a skate or a shark took a bait while I was tending to another rod and the sand spike tipped over and drug the rod into the water, when I picked the rod up it started to take an immense amount of line, I tightened up the drag too much and what ever it was straightened out the hook and got off, that’s what I get for panicking, I also had a “double hook up” two fish on one bait set, that was a pain in the ass because they ran down the beach and snagged into my wife’s line causing a knot so bad I ended up having to cut the lines.... damn braided line

Haeder

South Dakota
Did fishing yesterday. Was productive. Kept 6 walleyes and a dozen perch. Probably caught 75 fish. Many were far too small to keep.

MTJonny

Donator
Almost left with nothing today but pulled out a chunker rainbow right near the boat launch.

Also, we need an update to the thread title again.

Haeder

South Dakota
Wind and walleyes. 8" thick ice and a few inches of snow. Problems with the heater temp control. Fish and chips for supper.

Yum.

THE FEZ MAN

You aren't wrong.

There are people in 3/4 ton diesel trucks with chains on their tires and snowplows bolted to the front of the truck moving snow so they can get to their favorite ice fishing spots with their $30,000 ice castle.
And 8” away from going to the bottom. I always think about “grumpy old men” when I see guys ice fishing