2019 Philadelphia Phillies

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Still no word on a big signing.
Pitchers and catchers report in about 3 weeks.

Roy Halladay elected to the HoF on the 1st ballot.

PHILADELPHIA -- Roy Halladay packed so much into such a short period of time in Philadelphia that Phillies fans sometimes forget that he spent the first 12 years of his 16-year career with the Blue Jays.

To them, Halladay was a Phillie.

Phillies fans learned Tuesday evening that Halladay was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. He received 85.4 percent of the vote, easily eclipsing the 75 percent needed to earn enshrinement in his first year on the ballot. Halladay will be inducted posthumously this summer in Cooperstown, N.Y., making it a bittersweet celebration. He died on Nov. 7, 2017, when his personal aircraft crashed in the Gulf of Mexico, just off the shores of Holiday, Fla. In one of Halladay's final interviews in '17, he spoke to Phillies beat writers in Clearwater, Fla., about possibly making the Hall of Fame in '19.

"It would obviously be a tremendous honor," Halladay said. "I don't know what to think about it, honestly. You see guys get in that are deserving, and you see guys that are possibly deserving that don't get in. Boy, it's a tough thing to figure out. But, absolutely, I would love to be there. I think every player who ever played the game would love to be there. It would be a tremendous honor. It's just -- hope for the best."

Nobody can question that Halladay was one of the greatest pitchers of his era, much less baseball history. He finished 203-105 with a 3.38 ERA in his career. He won the 2003 American League Cy Young Award and the '10 National League Cy Young Award. He finished in the top five in Cy Young Award voting five more times. He made eight All-Star teams.

Halladay threw a perfect game with the Phillies on May 29, 2010, against the Marlins in Miami. He threw a no-hitter in Game 1 of the '10 NL Division Series against the Reds, becoming the second pitcher in baseball history to throw a postseason no-no. Talk about rising to the occasion: It was Halladay's first career postseason start.

Halladay captured the hearts and minds of Phillies fans long before he threw that October no-no. He joined the organization already as a legend, waiving a no-trade clause to sign a four-year, $80 million contract extension in December 2009. Halladay could have pitched one more season with the Blue Jays before signing a monster contract, but he wanted his shot at a World Series sooner rather than later, so he left money on the table to come to Philadelphia.

Halladay fell short in his World Series championship pursuit, but he cemented his status as one of the game's greats. He reinvented himself early in his career after being demoted to Class A. He embraced the mental side of sports, long before teams hired multiple mental-skills coaches to help their big leaguers and Minor Leaguers. He had a tireless work ethic, getting up early, working hard and studying hitters.

Halladay wanted to be one of the best, and he was. He threw 67 complete games in his career. To put that in perspective, the D-backs, Rockies, Mets, Phillies, Padres, Orioles, Marlins, Brewers and Rays have thrown a combined 63 complete games from 2014-18.

There simply aren't many pitchers like Halladay anymore. Baseball is changing, but Halladay's place in baseball history is secure.

And even if there is a Blue Jays cap on Halladay's Cooperstown plaque, Phillies fans will celebrate "Doc." He is one of theirs.

domelogic

Pitchers and catchers report in about 3 weeks.

Feb. 2nd or 3rd. My neighbor got resigned and said he leaves that weekend.

I heard this idiot on the fanatic the other day. He was the host and said he had no problem with Machado not running out the play. He said there is no need to and would waste energy. 162 games is a long season and that is to be expected. Someone needed to tell this moron Machado said this about the playoffs not game 37 in the season.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I heard this idiot on the fanatic the other day. He was the host and said he had no problem with Machado not running out the play. He said there is no need to and would waste energy. 162 games is a long season and that is to be expected. Someone needed to tell this moron Machado said this about the playoffs not game 37 in the season.
He didn't do anything to impress me while with the Dodgers.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
My work schedule is in flux because we added a new guy, so I don't know what things will look like in March, so I haven't grabbed any tickets for spring training yet... But, I'll be on vacation up in Philly in early May and plan to catch the game when they honor Rollins at CBP, and might catch an Iron Pigs game while I am up too.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
But, I'll be on vacation up in Philly in early May and plan to catch the game when they honor Rollins at CBP, and might catch an Iron Pigs game while I am up too.
I'll be in Florida that week...:haha7:

domelogic

I like the trade. I really like Sanchez but I have zero faith the phils will develop a young pitcher. The track record over the last 20-30 years is abysmal. Cole Hamels and ....... I need help coming up with another number one(I do not accept them developing their current ace, that goes to his college). Sixto has had some injuries, go figure, and was removed from fall ball due to his injury during the summer. The one drawback is Realmuto’s age. He is 28 so you will have 4-5 max of very good years left.

Will this help them land Harper or Machado? I honestly don’t want either but I fear we are getting one-Harper.

Not a chance. You know this is a dick waving contest.
He won't settle for anything less than Manny got.

Agree. I mentioned the 5 year contract because I do not believe any ball player should get anything longer than that. The risk for the team is way to high and I say that knowin it is not my money. The last 3-5 of a 10 yr deal will suck and everyone knows it. Pujols should have ended any discussion on 10 yrs. He is still getting paid and won’t stop until 2021. Think about that.

I believe I heard he will not sign for less than 350 mil 10 yrs. Wash offered 10yrs 300 mil I think(he turned that down).

Forget him and sign Keuchal (sp?). I was not thrilled with McCutchen signing. Seems to me like the first baseman signing last year.