23-hour power outage

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Well, we had the big monsoon the last few days... A few inches of rain, lots of wind, etc.

Our power went out yesterday about 4PM or so. What an ordeal...

Winds took out part of a tree 2 blocks up the street, wiped out the power wires. The wires were arcing on the ground. From a distance, it looked like someone doing welding. Police/fire came and closed the road, etc, etc.

We called PECO, the automated system said they were aware of the outage, etc, etc, etc. A few times last night we called into their automated system for updates on projected times for service restoration.

About 11PM. I took a walk up the road and saw the wires were still still on the ground and still putting on a fireworks show. Nobody was around, just barries to keep people drom driving through that section of the street. I decided I need to speak to a live person at PECO.

So, I called and hit the option to report an emergency. The woman I got on the phone was floored when I told her what was going on. She said nobody reported down lines, but they were aware of the outage. She was all flustered, couldn't thank me enough for calling to report it Asked me if the police or anyone had responded and I told her they had.

About 5 PECO trucks showed up around 1PM and cut the tress down that were near the affected wires, strung new wires, and rolled around 2:30 PM.

Power came back on at 3PM today about a half-hour after they left.

I had all the breakers off except for the ceiling lights. Once the lights came on I turned everything back on one at a time.

What sucks the most about this is we have a well, so we had no water...

Lets back up to last night...

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a generator for a while.

Last night when I saw PECO hadn't responded by 6:30 PM and the automated system was giving a projected fix time of 4:30 PM today, I decided to take a trip.

I picked up a 13HP 6500 peak watt generator at Harbor Freight right before they closed at 7PM. I set it up and had it running by 8:30 PM. I went out at 6AM today and it still had a 1/4 tank of gas. I shut it down, topped off the tank and started it right up.

I ran 2 refrigerators, a freezer, a couple lamps, cell phone chargers, etc.

I'm going to make a modification so I can connect the well pump to it next time so we have water.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Jan 6, 2006
Yeah, there was downed wire here at about 6AM. I woke up to the noise of the line skipping around and sending off electricity. There were no firetrucks, cops, anything in sight .. I was the one who called 911 and they showed up about 2 seconds later.

Lost power, I just went back to bed. Woke up and it was on.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
eh, eventually im going to get a diesel full back up system

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Lost it for an hour yesterday. We never get long outages so I see
no need to get a generator.
Except for one overnight outage that was about 10 hours (which made me contemplate a generator in the first place), this was the only one we've had that was more than an hour in the 5 years we've been here.

I just want to be able to run the refrigerator/freezer, well pump, and in winter - my pellet stove so we have heat.

eh, eventually im going to get a diesel full back up system
I'd go to a CNG standby unit if it ever got that point here.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
This was the perfect storm... I wouldn't over react... If you just want to yourself, thats cool.

I have a customer call me Saturday he had no heat... His slab heat runs are full of ground water.

He panicked,,, Its an odd storm.... three 25" snow storms followed by a 15 hour downpour.
By Monday the water will go down.

Everyones freaking out, I had 15 sump pump calls yesterday.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
23 Hours? Go fuck yourself. ;)

I was out 17 days after Hurricane Gustav.
9 after Katrina.

I have a gas powered generator now. Its a Honda. Not a whole house job, but I can run each fridge a few hours then swap to the other fridge to keep everything cold, box fans, lamps, that sort of stuff.

BullsLawDan

She A Great Big Fat Person?
Feb 9, 2006
NY
Every time we lose power or something they come through and bury whatever got broken. Haven't lost any utilities in the 6 years we've been in this house for longer than 10 minutes.

El Oh El.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Well, we had the big monsoon the last few days... A few inches of rain, lots of wind, etc.

Winds took out part of a tree 2 blocks up the street, wiped out the power wires. The wires were arcing on the ground. From a distance, it looked like someone doing welding. Police/fire came and closed the road, etc, etc.

We called PECO, the automated system said they were aware of the outage, etc, etc, etc. A few times last night we called into their automated system for updates on projected times for service restoration.

About 11PM. I took a walk up the road and saw the wires were still still on the ground and still putting on a fireworks show. Nobody was around, just barries to keep people drom driving through that section of the street. I decided I need to speak to a live person at PECO.

So, I called and hit the option to report an emergency. The woman I got on the phone was floored when I told her what was going on. She said nobody reported down lines, but they were aware of the outage. She was all flustered, couldn't thank me enough for calling to report it Asked me if the police or anyone had responded and I told her they had.

About 5 PECO trucks showed up around 1PM and cut the tress down that were near the affected wires, strung new wires, and rolled around 2:30 PM.

I had all the breakers off except for the ceiling lights. Once the lights came on I turned everything back on one at a time.

Last night when I saw PECO hadn't responded by 6:30 PM and the automated system was giving a projected fix time of 4:30 PM today, I decided to take a trip.

I picked up a 13HP 6500 peak watt generator at Harbor Freight right before they closed at 7PM. I set it up and had it running by 8:30 PM. I went out at 6AM today and it still had a 1/4 tank of gas. I shut it down, topped off the tank and started it right up.

I'm going to make a modification so I can connect the well pump to it next time so we have water.
Then what happened?

Just kidding fella...:action-sm

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Just don't forget to put in some mineral based fuel stabilizer like Briggs and Stratton Fresh Start in your generator. The gas should be good for two years after you add the goodness.

Just bought one of these during our last power outage:

Husqvarna Generator Model 1365GN

Powered by a 6500W Honda GX OHV Engine Standard Equipment Includes - Battery Charging Cable- 4-120V outlets- 1 twist lock 120V/240V outlet- Locking-Type Plug- Wheel Kit- Engine Oil Commercial duty generator for professional power, anywhere, anytime,

Rated power (running) 6500W
Surge power (starting 8125W
Run time @ ½ load 11 hours

And I did a whole house bypass switch thing...

DocSavage

Bringing true "old School" whoopass since 1932.
May 4, 2005
86th floor of the Empire State Building

How easy was the set up...what did you do?

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Damn...that sucks...can't say i blame you, its one thing to lose power but to lose water too sucks. At least they fixed it, friends of ours down the shore have a 1 year old kid and their power went out on Saturday, they are saying they should have it back on by Tuesday

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Damn...that sucks...can't say i blame you, its one thing to lose power but to lose water too sucks. At least they fixed it, friends of ours down the shore have a 1 year old kid and their power went out on Saturday, they are saying they should have it back on by Tuesday
Last year during that ice storm we did not have power for a week... could have been worse as parts of central NH did not get back power for 6 weeks.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I was out all Sat night. From 5 to 7 am. That aint shit considering. I expected to be out through Sunday.

I discharged one of the boat's batteries on an inverter to charge my phone and have a decent radio. Had lights.. all was well. Glad no trees wrecked the place.

Stig

Wackbag's All-Time Greatest Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Cripes, I was out for 4 days a couple of weeks back. I could do 23 hours standing on my head.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
"I picked up a 13HP 6500 peak watt generator at Harbor Freight right before they closed at 7PM. I set it up and had it running by 8:30 PM."
Ok. Not much to it. I was home with the thing by 8PM because I had to stop and fill my gas cans. Once I got hime, I had everything running rather quickly.

I had to put oil in the engine. Stupid manual didn't specify the capacity, just said fill it with oil. It ended up taking 1.25 quarts. There's a little dipstick on the oil cap. I just kept adding it until it got to the full mark.

I had a couple extension cords already, but I bought another one with the generator. I ran the cords to the refrigerators and freezer. I waited before plugging them in.

I pulled the choke, opened the fuel-shutoff valve on the generator and gave it a few pulls on the rope start. It started on the third pull. I let it run for like 25 minutes before I plugged the cords in.

I bought the wheel kit for it today and installed that this afternoon. So now, it's easy to move the thing around.

After the initial start, now it starts on the first pull. It has electric start, but didn't come with a battery. I am picking up a battery in a little whilte at Advanced Auto. I really don't need it, but it's only $19. This way if there's a problem and I am not here, my wife will be able to just wheel it out of the garage, plug the cords in and start it. I usually have to go away for a few days a couple times a year for work. So, this way it won't be a big deal if I am not here.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I would also invest in a length of chain as well... as during the last storm I heard about 2 generators getting stolen... this was in town through. Or you could do this:

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'll probably put the generator out back next time for that very reason. It was just easier and faster to set it up out front and run the cords through the garage door.

I got a fenced backyard and over 200lbs of dogs on patrol. :D

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
No... I just ran extension cords. But, possibly some day I might do a transfer switch setup. Depends on how often we get outages.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well if you do just do the whole house one... the unit costs a little more but the labor is a lot less as basically you go between your meter and your panel. Mine with materials was about $600 bucks installed. And I can basically can run everything with it... even the water heater (if I turn all the other breakers off).

Oh and roaming German Shepherd and open carry state:)