23-hour power outage

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I've seen them cheaper. That's just the first link I found to post.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I’ve been looking at that exact set up, I can make that thing I just need to consult an electrician on it.... shockingly... because I will need to move breakers around in my box to make it work.

This is the one that I bought, and will work, but, it will only run the pump, which in theory is all I want, but, it would be nice to have a few lights on in the garage. I would even swap out the guts of the box to run 100 amps if I could I like the enclosure and the fact that it protects

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
Why are all electricians the same? I was able to run all of the essential items in my home, for almost 5 full days on a 3000 watt 20 amp generator, and extension cords, I just bought a 7000 watt 30 amp generator, yet I am still getting “oh you can’t do that” or “ oh that’s way under powered...” .from three different guys... yes, I am going to install a much larger 15-20k unit, with a fancy automatic transfer switch, but I need an immediate solution, that solution is a plug on the out side of my house and a single manual transfer switch to run the power from my 7000 watt generator directly to my panel, I see no reason why I am incapable of shutting everything down then selecting circuits to run, and, even then you are not drawing power from every circuit all the time... it’s not like I have 25 100 watt lights in every room and toasters plugged into every outlet, I have not heard one plausible or realistic explanation as to why I “must install” a completely different sub panel, and basically spend thousands of dollars and tear up a wall. when realistically I’m not drawing even close to “full load” I know I’m not running my dryer, my hot water hater, my air conditioning and 2 electric ranges and a light bulb on a 7000 watt generator, and, my experience has taught me that the generator will tell you that your fucking up, I found that out the hard way years ago when my ex wife wanted the air conditioning and the tv and the refrigerator on all at the same time,,,,,, bbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrr pop, the generator just shut off, no big deal, unplugged the fridge and TaDa! The tv and the air conditioning worked, and it worked just fine, and the fridge kept everything cold all night since it wasn’t gettting opened every 5 fucking minutes.

I swear they do everything in their power to try and over complicate things and keep you beholden to them, yes I understand that “they know better” but this is a simple 200 amp (100 more than I need) residential wireing job, it’s not a nuclear reactor, I’m not running crazy 480vt 3 phase motors, I want my fucking ice maker to work and my shit pump to pump.
also don't do something like show you understand how electricity and how to make your generator work with out $1000 bucks in extra (this thread a couple years ago). When you back up you knowledge with facts they say unsafe, when you can prove it is no more unsafe than any other method if you know what you are doing they get pissy.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
also don't do something like show you understand how electricity and how to make your generator work with out $1000 bucks in extra (this thread a couple years ago). When you back up you knowledge with facts they say unsafe, when you can prove it is no more unsafe than any other method if you know what you are doing they get pissy.
I know suicide plugs are unsafe, I am willing to accept that, but installing a 100amp 3 way switch? No that’s bullshit. I want to shut off the power from the street, then run the house as I see fit.... buy “oh you can’t do that” like I’m some kind of retard

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
If they ever run gas through my neighborhood, I'd get a standby NG generator. I think it is coming in the next few years. It's only about 3/4 of a mile from my house and they are expanding the service area down here.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
If they ever run gas through my neighborhood, I'd get a standby NG generator. I think it is coming in the next few years. It's only about 3/4 of a mile from my house and they are expanding the service area down here.
Ya things I'll never get here are NG and FiOS... though Cumcast says they have fiber on the poles they still run cable into the houses.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Four hundred billion dollars paid for rural internet and no one is hooked up.
Well they were going to put it in... then Verizon sold their telephony business in Maine like 5 years ago. I guess they didn't want to put the fiber in.

On a side note there are a few towns that have free WiFi (in the downtown areas) usually the ones that are a little down and out like Biddeford.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Well they were going to put it in... then Verizon sold their telephony business in Maine like 5 years ago. I guess they didn't want to put the fiber in.

On a side note there are a few towns that have free WiFi (in the downtown areas) usually the ones that are a little down and out like Biddeford.
Towns should do internet co-ops. Build fiber systems and fuck the big bully cable companies.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Towns should do internet co-ops. Build fiber systems and fuck the big bully cable companies.
Ya my cable bill just went up another $30 as I am at tier 2 of the promo price... and next year it goes up another $50. So eventually be paying like $200 a month for 90% of shit I don't watch. Like I do speak Spanish and French but I really don't need programming done it... or the queer channels etc...

So once I get done upstairs gonna try Sling TV and an antenna... again why can't you get a la carte programming. It's not like they have to send a dude up a pole to put in filters to block certain channels...

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Ya my cable bill just went up another $30 as I am at tier 2 of the promo price... and next year it goes up another $50. So eventually be paying like $200 a month for 90% of shit I don't watch. Like I do speak Spanish and French but I really don't need programming done it... or the queer channels etc...

So once I get done upstairs gonna try Sling TV and an antenna... again why can't you get a la carte programming. It's not like they have to send a dude up a pole to put in filters to block certain channels...
Ideally, you should look for the fattest pipe and ditch the TV/phone service. Between Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc... you should be covered for videos/entertainment.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Ideally, you should look for the fattest pipe and ditch the TV/phone service. Between Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc... you should be covered for videos/entertainment.
Ya I have Amazon and Netflix... and with Sling I'm all set... has the 10 or so stations I watch a lot. And I will have the antenna for broadcast tv. Gonna get their "cable box" as I don't see my dad using a tablet to change the channel to watch Law and Order when my parents visit.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Ya I have Amazon and Netflix... and with Sling I'm all set... has the 10 or so stations I watch a lot. And I will have the antenna for broadcast tv. Gonna get their "cable box" as I don't see my dad using a tablet to change the channel to watch Law and Order when my parents visit.
Change frightens the old folks. Especially, technology.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Change frightens the old folks. Especially, technology.
Well considering he is an electrical engineer as well... my mother is not that bad she finally got a smart phone after me bitching at her to get rid of her slider phone from like 10 years ago. And I think she got my dad a basic flip phone.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Well considering he is an electrical engineer as well... my mother is not that bad she finally got a smart phone after me bitching at her to get rid of her slider phone from like 10 years ago. And I think she got my dad a basic flip phone.
My mom has an iPad and my dad has a cell phone, he just won't take it with him. :meh:

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
My mom has an iPad and my dad has a cell phone, he just won't take it with him. :meh:
Oh he will take it with him but not turn it on of course... Oh mumsie has an Ipad as well and two trips ago she thought it would be a good idea to monitor their progress by looking at Google Maps in real time and not say downloading the map first... she got a data bill of like almost $500... it was reduced to $200 but still silly.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I know a shocking number of people that have flip phones

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I know a shocking number of people that have flip phones
I think they get better reception for whatever reason... like I have to make calls via WiFi cuz I get like 1 bar if I am lucky.

Yep... just checked my brand new Galaxy S9... 1 bar. Wish I had kept one of my old Razr's...