23-hour power outage

TomC

uppity neobarb
two people I know of ran out of LP for the generator during the week long power outage after the ice storm, and told tough shit getting the truck out to the house soon, seems you could control the gas or fuel alot better then a huge LP tank.

NG would be the way to go as it is always on... Do find it odd that there is NG up on the highway... and I have electricity... cable and water run down 1000' but not NG...

You guys talk about NG generators... but a NG gas grill rules as you never run out of gas when cooking...

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
NG would be the way to go as it is always on... Do find it odd that there is NG up on the highway... and I have electricity... cable and water run down 1000' but not NG...

You guys talk about NG generators... but a NG gas grill rules as you never run out of gas when cooking...
My family has natural gas out at our cabin... a hour from the closest paved road. The main pipeline goes over the mountains 300 yards from the cabin, and my grandfather let some big shot Pacific Gas & Electric guy hunt for free on the ranch one year if he got the cabins hooked up to the line. This was like 40 years ago... they would never do that today.

My family has natural gas out at our cabin... a hour from the closest paved road. The main pipeline goes over the mountains 300 yards from the cabin, and my grandfather let some big shot Pacific Gas & Electric guy hunt for free on the ranch one year if he got the cabins hooked up to the line. This was like 40 years ago... they would never do that today.
Ya I know there is Natural Gas lines here... but no one seems to heat with it. Like behind the Hannafords (supahmahket) they have a field of propane tanks to run their generators if and when the power runs out.

Edit yep it is... just not this town. One town norf and one souf... weird.

Pretty SOP to have NG in Toronto... my parents house (it was built in the early 60's) used to heat with oil... then switched to NG. The previous owners forgot to tell the earl company they changed and I guess they didn't remove the filling spout... so they dumped 200 gallons in the basement by mistake. And even 40 years later you still got a whiff of it.

Sooo...i was told the electric guys are on the way to fix my power. No juice since Monday. Its been a long fucking week, near homicidal from the heat, but I might just make it out alive. It's 2014 and I made my coffee on a bonfire this morning, while checking out Drudge report.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Propane is good for an extended/widespread outage when the gas stations are affected as well.

Worst case, you can always go someplace that does the tank-swap deal and get more propane. Or, you an get a big-ass propane tank and have it filled.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated

my weber grill and my generator BOTH run on NG. converting an LP grill to NG is a breeze

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
it's as simple as taking apart the manifold that the gas feeds into and drilling the orifice out to work properly. i forgot the exact size bit you need because i haven't done it in ages. natural gas is a denser gas than liquefied petroleum. you need to expand the orifice to allow for a greater flow of gas.

i'll quit with all the seggsy talk now......but it really is easy to do.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Fuck you guys with your natural gas.

:action-sm

I'm hoping they are going to bring it into my neighborhood. It's close, but not on my street. They are doing expansion, but there's not a whole lot of information out there.

TomC

uppity neobarb
no Nat gas in BFE.

Remember Nat gas pressure is 3.5 inches WC, and LP gas is 10.5 inches WC

TomC

uppity neobarb
Wired the generator into the house today, pics coming soon, it should make all the nervous Nellies shit a brick.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Wired the generator into the house today, pics coming soon, it should make all the nervous Nellies shit a brick.
Used 10/4 SO cord to connect the generator to the house, used 50 amp stove plug and outlet after pricing L15-30 plugs and outlet, 50 bucks compared to 20 bucks..
I understand how a generator works, I understand res electrical, and I understand how neutral and ground works.

Haeder

South Dakota

Tom,

You are gonna burn your house down . . . . . . . . again.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Used 10/4 SO cord to connect the generator to the house, used 50 amp stove plug and outlet after pricing L15-30 plugs and outlet, 50 bucks compared to 20 bucks..
I understand how a generator works, I understand res electrical, and I understand how neutral and ground works.
That is the most dangerous thing I've seen yet today, I LOVE IT!

The inspectors face when he saw that cord:

Well the reason they want you to use the twist lock (that one looks like a hospital grade one) plug is they are designed to be plugged and unplugged a bunch of times... now as for a dryer/stove plug might be plugged and unplugged what 2 or 3 times in it's lifetime... just saying.

Haeder

South Dakota
Well the reason they want you to use the twist lock (that one looks like a hospital grade one) plug is they are designed to be plugged and unplugged a bunch of times... now as for a dryer/stove plug might be plugged and unplugged what 2 or 3 times in it's lifetime... just saying.
That, and the whole sealed from the elements thing.

TomC - before plugging your generator into the dryer/stove plug make sure it is free of debris, spider webs, bugs and whatnot. Then make sure it is damn good and dry.

Actually, scratch that. Hire an electrician and have this (re)done properly.

That, and the whole sealed from the elements thing.

TomC - before plugging your generator into the dryer/stove plug make sure it is free of debris, spider webs, bugs and whatnot. Then make sure it is damn good and dry.

Actually, scratch that. Hire an electrician and have this (re)done properly.
Ya only cost me like $400 for the exterior plug, the switch inside and all the necessary cable etc...

TomC

uppity neobarb
now as for a dryer/stove plug might be plugged and unplugged what 2 or 3 times in it's lifetime... just saying.
about as many times as I will plug in the generator

good idea, will cover with duct tape.

Actually, scratch that. Hire an electrician and have this (re)done properly
fancy word for wire puller, this works exactly the same.

Ya only cost me like $400 for the exterior plug, the switch inside and all the necessary cable etc..
This cost less than $100.