23-hour power outage

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Be sure to plug into the running generator first, then try to connect the other male plug as bolts of lightning reach out for the outlet.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
about as many times as I will plug in the generator

good idea, will cover with duct tape.

fancy word for wire puller, this works exactly the same.

This cost less than $100.
You maybe one of thee dumbest homeowners I have ever encountered. Your insurance company is going to love you.
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever back feed through hvac disconnects.
Never change tom never change

TomC

uppity neobarb
You maybe one of thee dumbest homeowners I have ever encountered. Your insurance company is going to love you.
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever back feed through hvac disconnects.
Never change tom never change
why not.
My heat pump is powered my #8 wire, more than big enough to handle 30 MAX
I understand electricity, Make my living trouble shooting pricy equipment elec issues.
I have been in the service repair field for 26 years. fist 9 in HVAC
I am a CFESA trained MASTER tech in 4 fields, electrical being one.

And what most amateurs ( I include residential wire pullers in this ) dont understand is how elec works and flows.

Last edited:

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Because you can melt everything and cause a fire. You gotta remember that power is not being run through a breaker before it reaches the unit. A surge could destroy it or cause a fire. It needs it's own Input directly to the panel. Or back feed it through the stove outlet or dyer of they are electric if you're in a pinch because nothing else is on that circuit. Ideally though it needs it's own input thru the panel before the main

TomC

uppity neobarb
Because you can melt everything and cause a fire.
No,I will pull the disconnect.Condenser will be isolated.

You gotta remember that power is not being run through a breaker before it reaches the unit.
Again I guess I just assumed that you guys knew since the HP cant be ran by my 8K gen that I would not have it in the circuit. Wired before disconnect and will pull before gen plugged in

A surge could destroy it or cause a fire.
NO

. It needs it's own Input directly to the panel.
That what it has now, Trust me the wire that powers the HP doesn't know any different.

Or back feed it through the stove outlet or dyer of they are electric if you're in a pinch because nothing else is on that circuit.
Its all the same, and the dryer and stove don't go outside.

Ideally though it needs it's own input thru the panel before the main
doesn't matter one bit if in has its own or the wire dose something else most of the time, it is not safer for the panel, and I will not be grabbing the exposed male plug, it will never be hot with out being plugged in.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
No,I will pull the disconnect.Condenser will be isolated.

Again I guess I just assumed that you guys knew since the HP cant be ran by my 8K gen that I would not have it in the circuit. Wired before disconnect and will pull before gen plugged in

NO

That what it has now, Trust me the wire that powers the HP doesn't know any different.

Its all the same, and the dryer and stove don't go outside.

doesn't matter one bit if in has its own or the wire dose something else most of the time, it is not safer for the panel, and I will not be grabbing the exposed male plug, it will never be hot with out being plugged in.
And yet you still put an indoor only rated outlet outside unprotected from the elements while it's hot. It needs to be enclosed at the very least. I saw the I'll cover it with duct tape comment. You realize because its 220 if something goes wrong that could kill someone right? Like if the tape falls off in a down pour it could potentially electrify the water running over it and onto the ground. That's why it needs it's own circuit so the breaker can be left off and be enclosed. It doesn't matter how unlikely the scenario. Don't be stupid tom. Get rid of that before someone gets hurt.

TomC

uppity neobarb
And yet you still put an indoor only rated outlet outside unprotected from the elements while it's hot. It needs to be enclosed at the very least. I saw the I'll cover it with duct tape comment. You realize because its 220 if something goes wrong that could kill someone right? Like if the tape falls off in a down pour it could potentially electrify the water running over it and onto the ground. That's why it needs it's own circuit so the breaker can be left off and be enclosed. It doesn't matter how unlikely the scenario. Don't be stupid tom. Get rid of that before someone gets hurt.
Good lord, An iron meteor and strike at just the right angle causing a dead short that will.....

IT DOES HAVE A BREAKER, I DID NOT PULL THE HEATPUMPS BREAKER AND HARD WIRE IT INTO THE MAIN.

and it's out of the weather, and if you think a/c disconnects are weather/water proof I got bad new for you, If the water gets high enough to short the plug it would have shorted the disconnect.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Good lord, An iron meteor and strike at just the right angle causing a dead short that will.....

IT DOES HAVE A BREAKER, I DID NOT PULL THE HEATPUMPS BREAKER AND HARD WIRE IT INTO THE MAIN.

and it's out of the weather, and if you think a/c disconnects are weather/water proof I got bad new for you, If the water gets high enough to short the plug it would have shorted the disconnect.
It's still live and uncovered. Ask the building inspector if it's kosher if your so confident. I've only been the construction trade almost a decade what do i know

TomC

uppity neobarb
Ask the building inspector if it's kosher
Never once have I said it's up to code. I am saying it is perfectly safe if used correctly.
I've only been the construction trade almost a decade what do i know
I can't hit a nail straight but I can repair LIVE 3 phase 480v equipment. I gave you good safe answers to all the points you made about the Heat Pump and about my knowledge and background. I think I posted the pics knowing it would get some people bent out of shape, BUT I can back all my actions with elec facts. I have dealt with electricity my entire 26 year carer, I know more than how to wire up a breaker, I know about the flow of electricity, what NC/NO means on a relay, how a inverter works to change AC to DC to ramp up and down motors, why 240v is not the same as 208v when is comes to elements. I know what a micro amp and a mili amp is.

It is not uncovered in my opinion but if I was to change to a weather tight box (I really did forget about spiders and bugs) did I give good enough answers for the other points.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Yep. We put that shit in a weather tight box for a reason. Sorry if I came off like a dick. I saw that shit and my heart skipped a beat. Other reason you want it in a box is to keep the sun from dry rotting it

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
My turn.... Running extension cords to the fridge the router and the coffee pot

I was spared any damage
Just some small branches down
Power dropped for a few minutes
I was surprised it came back and stayed on
Seems like you folks a bit west of me got hit much worse

THE FEZ MAN

I was spared any damage
Just some small branches down
Power dropped for a few minutes
I was surprised it came back and stayed on
Seems like you folks a bit west of me got hit much worse
My house in concord was fine (fucking figures) but some of my neighbors got it really bad, one of my friends took a tree through the roof of there house, trees and wires down everywhere out there, in media we still have no power well over 24hrs later, the irritating buzz of cheep generators is irritating me so i broke down and came inside, I'm running my whisper quiet honda eu3000is I'm still pissy that it won't handle 220, i have a concern about my shit pump. i can run the fridge, some fans charge all of my phones my computers run the tv i haven't over loaded it yet, i was tempted to drag the Ac unit from the garage but meh, the fan drowns out the noise of the generators..... and as i was typing this i went out to refill the generator to run all night (the old lady's cpap machine must work) the lights came back on. about 26 hours out of power, going to keep the stuff out till morning since media proper lost power around dinnertime because of over loaded transformers going to think long and hard about a whole house unit.

I've been thinking of a Generac unit for a few years
Mainly for the sump pumps
Just haven't pulled the trigger yet
Priorities and all

TomC

uppity neobarb
My house in concord was fine (fucking figures) but some of my neighbors got it really bad, one of my friends took a tree through the roof of there house, trees and wires down everywhere out there, in media we still have no power well over 24hrs later, the irritating buzz of cheep generators is irritating me so i broke down and came inside, I'm running my whisper quiet honda eu3000is I'm still pissy that it won't handle 220, i have a concern about my shit pump. i can run the fridge, some fans charge all of my phones my computers run the tv i haven't over loaded it yet, i was tempted to drag the Ac unit from the garage but meh, the fan drowns out the noise of the generators..... and as i was typing this i went out to refill the generator to run all night (the old lady's cpap machine must work) the lights came back on. about 26 hours out of power, going to keep the stuff out till morning since media proper lost power around dinnertime because of over loaded transformers going to think long and hard about a whole house unit.
Saw this one was still at Cosco for $700, dual fuel. real solid. I've got no worries about shitty gas because I've only ever run it in propane mode, will use gas if I have to, but spent the last year collecting old propane tanks on craigs list and trading then in for new at exchange places.
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1001...enerator-w-electric-start-reviews/reviews.htm

THE FEZ MAN

Saw this one was still at Cosco for $700, dual fuel. real solid. I've got no worries about shitty gas because I've only ever run it in propane mode, will use gas if I have to, but spent the last year collecting old propane tanks on craigs list and trading then in for new at exchange places.
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1001...enerator-w-electric-start-reviews/reviews.htm

I've got 1500# of propane on site for the swimming pool. and a rich wife, i shan't be cobbling things together fire bug, :action-sm

I'm looking into a low RPM liquid cooled unit, although I am a smart ass, i really don't want to have to even think about the unit, I've read some bad things about emergency stand by generators over the last couple of years and all point to the air cooled units not being the best choice. i wish we had LP gas here but i don't, so fuel consumption is a real issue with me along with noise, and ease of use, when "shit goes wrong" i don't want to be fucking around with a generator like i was this morning. also i don't want my wife touching a thing or have to worry in any way that its going to work, hey if it was just me, i would go buy an old military surplus diesel unit and be done with it or the cheepo home depot model of what ever to run the fridge, or even like now running my Honda with extension cords. i figure it will run somewhere around 10k not including installing an additional 500# propane tank and wiring both the house and garage with transfer switches. my pump grinder works off the garage circuit and if the power goes out i lose my shitter, the LAST thing i want is my shitter backing up into my basement, because for some odd reason when the power goes out all of a sudden everyone needs to take showers and flush the toilet 50x

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
We were out for 35 hours.
Kicked back in about 3am this morning.
Someone gave me a small 2k Generac when Sandy hit.

Was big enough to cover the fridge in the kitchen, my extra
freezer and some lights and fans. Had to unplug the freezer
to run the A/C in the bedroom last night but that stayed frozen
since we never opened it.

Might look into a bigger one. I figure 5-6K would cover me fine.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Still no power at the shop.

PECO guy has no clue when it will be back on.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
My neighborhood has been on the news constantly.
They were here this morning and I just saw 6ABC
down the street when I got home.
No power at the shop so we closed and I'm gonna
cut the lawn to chop up all the leaves.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
ya see kids.......this is what annoys the fuck out of me. years ago and well before "super storm sandy" i had a natural gas bypass generator installed.

guess how many times it has turned on since it was installed.....and this is including the day of and days following sandy?

ya see kids.......this is what annoys the fuck out of me. years ago and well before "super storm sandy" i had a natural gas bypass generator installed.

guess how many times it has turned on since it was installed.....and this is including the day of and days following sandy?
I can see how that would be annoying
But , the peace of mind would quell that annoyance for me
Especially if the power goes out when I'm not home
And there's a lot of rain

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Had a weird brown out a week or so ago. Half the house still got juice (refrigerator, freezer, etc..)

The transformer went bad and needed replacement. Luckily, it only took four hours to fix.