25 Most Influential Movie Scenes of the Past 25 Years

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Not a bad list although it gets shaky at the end and at least four more TWBB scenes should be on it...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/25-best-movie-scenes?verso=true
It will all be worth it when Liddy sees Iron Man made the list.

Overall I would say it was a very good list, and I give them all the credit in the world for avoiding the temptation to list “Birdman - the entire movie.”

There were a couple of eye rolls, but aside from Michael Moore nothing I would really fight on. Trying to think of any big misses...

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

Overall I would say it was a very good list, and I give them all the credit in the world for avoiding the temptation to list “Birdman - the entire movie.”

There were a couple of eye rolls, but aside from Michael Moore nothing I would really fight on. Trying to think of any big misses...
It's hard for me to separate "best" from "influential". The first movie that comes to mind is Fight Club. I'm not sure which scene.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Is there a list? That has to be the most obnoxious website ever

If I could go back in time and kill one person it would be the dude who made up numerically ranking things that shouldn't be numerically ranked. Baby Hitler, you're safe, brah.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
If I could go back in time and kill one person it would be the dude who made up numerically ranking things that shouldn't be numerically ranked. Baby Hitler, you're safe, brah.
It was gay caveman ranking the top 10 cave drawings.

It was gay caveman ranking the top 10 cave drawings.
I'm willing to potentially wipe out one of humanity's early ancestors. In fact, I bet if he died we'd all get some cool shit like gills or something.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I'm willing to potentially wipe out one of humanity's early ancestors. In fact, I bet if he died we'd all get some cool shit like gills or something.
Life would be so much better if we lived in the ocean. What am I having for dinner tonight? 37 lobsters.

And wackbag would be interesting too. There's sharkliddy talking about movies. And look over there, Blue Whale Bill is posting about something. SB

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job

I got annoyed trying to scroll through the list so stopped, but my first thought upon seeing the title was "They better have 'I Am Iron Man' on the list." I mean that moment has defined the past decade of blockbuster filmmaking so it would be complete nonsense if they ignored it.

LiddyRules

25 years takes us back to 1994. Maybe it's my age as a Millennial, but I can think of more "influential" scenes from the last 6 years of the 1990s than the first 18 years of the 2000s.

Pigdango

Donator
It's hard for me to separate "best" from "influential". The first movie that comes to mind is Fight Club. I'm not sure which scene.
I had the same thought about Seven.

Also, as much as it pains me to say, “I see dead people” probably should have made it.

25 years takes us back to 1994. Maybe it's my age as a Millennial, but I can think of more "influential" scenes from the last 6 years of the 1990s than the first 18 years of the 2000s.
Part of it is context, part of it is the fact that some (not all) of this generation’s young filmmakers are swept too quickly into the blockbuster machine. There is another factor at play but you will get all pissy if I mention it so let’s just blame superhero movies and leave it at that.

LiddyRules

I know we all hate Forrest Gump now, but back then, it was hugely popular. And for Matrix, would it be bullet time lean back or red pill blue pill?

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
I know we all hate Forrest Gump now, but back then, it was hugely popular. And for Matrix, would it be bullet time lean back or red pill blue pill?
Forrest Gump ticked all of the Academy’s hot spots. Shawshank and Pulp didn’t. Such a travesty.

Interesting question Re: Matrix. I want to say Blue Pill/Red Pill is popular with truthers and conspiracy nuts, whereas the bullettime lean back is more universal in defining what The Matrix became and influenced a shit-ton of aspects of film and TV. The Super Bowl had a bullet time camera and those kinds of shots are now considered routine.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Bullet time appeared everywhere. It was utilized in dozens of films after that. Probably still is.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
And for Matrix, would it be bullet time lean back or red pill blue pill?
As far as influential goes, I'd think it would be one of the fight scenes.

And if I had to pick the most influential movie of the past 25 years, I would pick the Matrix.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I'd probably put Braveheart somewhere on that list.

Pigdango

Donator
If we're talking influential, it's clearly the bullet time lean back.
As far as influential goes, I'd think it would be one of the fight scenes.

And if I had to pick the most influential movie of the past 25 years, I would pick the Matrix.
Definitely.

LiddyRules

Forrest Gump ticked all of the Academy’s hot spots. Shawshank and Pulp didn’t. Such a travesty.

Interesting question Re: Matrix. I want to say Blue Pill/Red Pill is popular with truthers and conspiracy nuts, whereas the bullettime lean back is more universal in defining what The Matrix became and influenced a shit-ton of aspects of film and TV. The Super Bowl had a bullet time camera and those kinds of shots are now considered routine.
It's not about Oscars. That movie was hugely popular among general audiences, and Pulp/Shawshank are better movies, but Gump was far more of a phenomenon at the time. The bench was a pop culture touchstone plus it actually was considered a bit groundbreaking in its use of effects. And did any other movie produce a still popular chain restaurant?

Pigdango

Donator
It's not about Oscars. That movie was hugely popular among general audiences, and Pulp/Shawshank are better movies, but Gump was far more of a phenomenon at the time. The bench was a pop culture touchstone plus it actually was considered a bit groundbreaking in its use of effects. And did any other movie produce a still popular chain restaurant?
Gump was a pop culture phenomenon, but I can't really point to one scene and say "it influenced a bunch of movies."

I guess maybe it influenced the Transformers movies in a way. But that's not exactly a good thing.

Pigdango

Donator
I'd probably put Braveheart somewhere on that list.
Braveheart falls somewhere in the middle of being influenced and being influential, so I think it's safe to leave it off.