25% of Women; 10% of Men Domestically Abused

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Something about those numbers seem a bit high. I bolded (beld?) my favorite line.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About a quarter of U.S. women suffer domestic violence, U.S. health officials reported on Thursday, with ongoing health problems that one activist likened to the effects of living in a war zone.

Some men also experience domestic violence, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey found.

The CDC said 23.6 percent of women and 11.5 percent of men reported being a victim of what it called "intimate partner violence" at some time in their lives.

The CDC defined this as threatened, attempted or completed physical or sexual violence or emotional abuse by a spouse, former spouse, current or former boyfriend or girlfriend or a dating partner. The CDC estimates that 1,200 women are killed and 2 million injured in domestic violence annually.

Many of these women have other long-term health risks and problems, the CDC said.

"It confirms ... that living in a dangerous and stressful environment has long-term health impacts. It's like living in a war zone," said Rita Smith, executive director of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, an advocacy group.

More than 70,000 people in 16 U.S. states and two territories -- Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands -- responded to the CDC survey in 2005.

Black women were more likely to report domestic violence than whites or Hispanics, but it was most frequent among multiracial, American Indian and Alaska native women.

Women of all income and education levels suffer such abuse, although it was more frequent among the poorest and those who attended but did not graduate from college.

"Perhaps one of the factors at play here is the high prevalence of sexual violence on college campuses, and dating violence," Michele Black, a CDC epidemiologist who helped write the agency's report, said in a telephone interview.

Black said she could not say whether domestic violence rates were rising. The results were comparable with those of a 1995 government survey that found that 24.8 percent of women and 7.6 percent of men reported suffering domestic violence.

The CDC said women who suffer domestic violence are three times as likely to engage in risky sex and 70 percent more likely to drink heavily than other women.

They are also twice as likely to report that their activities are limited by physical, mental or emotional problems and 50 percent more likely to use a cane, wheelchair or other disability equipment, the CDC survey found.

These women also were 80 percent more likely to have a stroke, 70 percent more likely to have heart disease or arthritis and 60 percent more likely to have asthma.

Kiersten Stewart, director of public policy for the Family Violence Prevention Fund advocacy group, said the CDC figures broadly fit other assessments that about a quarter to a third of U.S. women experience domestic violence.

Stewart endorsed the CDC's call for doctors to ask women about possible domestic violence if they are showing signs of stress or other symptoms indicating possible violence.

(Editing by Maggie Fox and Alan Elsner)

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
So 23.6% of women don't know how to listen?
*ding ding*

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Well 86% of women are full of shit, so I bet that cuts into the numbers.

I somehow find it hard to believe that one-in-four guys hit their wives.

Oh wait:
The CDC said 23.6 percent of women and 11.5 percent of men reported being a victim of what it called "intimate partner violence" at some time in their lives.

The CDC defined this as threatened, attempted or completed physical or sexual violence or emotional abuse by a spouse,
Take that shit out and I bet the number drops to below 5%.
Emotional abuse my ass, buck up.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
They are also twice as likely to report that their activities are limited by physical, mental or emotional problems and 50 percent more likely to use a cane, wheelchair or other disability equipment, the CDC survey found.

These women also were 80 percent more likely to have a stroke, 70 percent more likely to have heart disease or arthritis and 60 percent more likely to have asthma.
In retrospect, was it really worth it to run your mouth and get that last little verbal jab in?

Couldn't you have just kept the plate in the oven a few more minutes to make sure the meal was just a tad warmer?

And finally, mustard isn't [SIZE=-1]mayonnaise [/SIZE], you worthless idiot.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
bullshit, Ive had some seriously fucked up bitches abuse me....you have no idea just how crazy woman can be.
QFT. There are only so many times you can do the whole grab them by the wrists thing, before they break it and start wailing on you.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
You know how little kids are stupid and will hurl heavy shit at people's heads and not realize they can seriously hurt someone? That's my girlfriend. She loves to throw shit at my head. She once smashed a VHS tape (Scream, I'll never forget) into the bridge of my nose.

Oh my God, am I an abused male?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
You know how little kids are stupid and will hurl heavy shit at people's heads and not realize they can seriously hurt someone? That's my girlfriend. She loves to throw shit at my head. She once smashed a VHS tape (Scream, I'll never forget) into the bridge of my nose.

Oh my God, am I an abused male?
And you're still with her?

I'm not going to go into it here, but suffice it to say, I had the black eyes, the busted lip and yeah, the emotional scars that never heal.

At this point, if a guy even gives me the appearance he's going to raise his hand to me, hasta la vista baby. I don't care how much I love him or how much he says he loves me ... he's history and so are we

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
My girlfriend tried the "Slap because she didn't know what to say" game with me once. Just once.

I caught her hand mid slap and just started squeezing saying, "See, I don't like it when the argument get's physical, I'd rather not have to take it to this level", and I just kept squeezing until she got the point.

6 months later she still has said point and there hasn't been a shot in anger either way since.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
At this point, if a guy even gives me the appearance he's going to raise his hand to me, hasta la vista baby. I don't care how much I love him or how much he says he loves me ... he's history and so are we
Setting the bar a little high aren't ya? I mean, I know every girl wants her Prince Charming, but Jesus!

:action-sm

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
And you're still with her?

I'm not going to go into it here, but suffice it to say, I had the black eyes, the busted lip and yeah, the emotional scars that never heal.

In all honesty I kind of deserved it, I can be a vicious motherfucker with my mouth when I want to be.

She does get a little out of hand with the flinging of objects, but she does it more when we are just fucking around with each other than out of anger. It's just I always have to tell her "Jesus, calm down , your gonna bust my head open one day".

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Setting the bar a little high aren't ya? I mean, I know every girl wants her Prince Charming, but Jesus!

:action-sm
Here's my Tyra moment ;)

Ya know what? Yeah, I am setting the bar high. I settled once and almost married the asshole. This despite his abuse of drugs and his abuse of me. We were together for 7 years and I walked out 9 months before the wedding. He'd smack me around, he'd tell me I was stupid, that I was a cow (I was 5'5 & 130 lbs back then), he'd tell me that if he was to ever leave me nobody would want me. And later, he'd come to me and be all apologetic & tell me that I was the love of his life yada yada yada

I've learned that it's better to be alone (not lonely, just alone) than it is to be with someone who doesn't respect you. Bravo to the guy who starts to haul off but stops, that shows some self-control. But I'm not going to stick around because one of these days that fist isn't going to stop until it hits someone's face & it sure as shit isn't going to stop on mine.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I was only jokin'!

I know, all joking aside I have a mother and a sister, and if I ever found out someone was doing anywhere close to that to either one of them it's hide the body time. If I ever see it happening, fuck circumstances I'm going to intervene. Call me nosey, but if it were your mom or sister, you'd be glad I did.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I was only jokin'!

I know, all joking aside I have a mother and a sister, and if I ever found out someone was doing anywhere close to that to either one of them it's hide the body time. If I ever see it happening, fuck circumstances I'm going to intervene. Call me nosey, but if it were your mom or sister, you'd be glad I did.
I know you were joking ... that's why I called it my Tyra moment and put the winky guy there

I'm thinking the numbers of abused men might actually be higher btw. The number of women is probably higher, but definitely the men. Most men don't report the abuse because it's not manly to admit you've been beat on by a woman. So the number is reflecting just the ones that are reported whether it's because the cops were called or he needed to seek treatment in an emergency room.

The key is proving it though - my family suspected but I always had a story and kept to it, so there wasn't much they could do except stand helplessly by and hope that I came to my senses before he killed me. My grandfather, who was "connected" had the "talk" with him and things were okay for a bit, but then I'd do something to set him off again. My brother-in-law, a cop, talked to him too, but since Mike thought all cops were on a power trip, that conversation basically went in one ear & out the other.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
The key is proving it though - my family suspected but I always had a story and kept to it, so there wasn't much they could do except stand helplessly by and hope that I came to my senses before he killed me. My grandfather, who was "connected" had the "talk" with him and things were okay for a bit, but then I'd do something to set him off again. My brother-in-law, a cop, talked to him too, but since Mike thought all cops were on a power trip, that conversation basically went in one ear & out the other.
My sister was abused by her first husband. She's much older than me, so I was really young (I wasn't even a teenager then) when it all went down. My mother knew about it, but had to keep it quiet until after my sister had left him, because it was generally understood that if my father found out, he would have killed my ex-brother-in-law. And knowing my father, he legitimately would have done it.

BTW, before they actually separated, they got couples counseling at our church. And the pastor was informed that my brother-in-law used to beat the shit out of my sister pretty much whenever he felt like it. And NOTHING was done about it or said about it by the pastor, because my brother-in-law just happened to be part of one of the families that were big supporters of the church. This is just one of a myriad of things which have left me jaded with organized religion.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
BTW, before they actually separated, they got couples counseling at our church. And the pastor was informed that my brother-in-law used to beat the shit out of my sister pretty much whenever he felt like it. And NOTHING was done about it or said about it by the pastor, because my brother-in-law just happened to be part of one of the families that were big supporters of the church. This is just one of a myriad of things which have left me jaded with organized religion.
It's also "understood" that what you say to a priest/pastor remains with them. There's been many instances where a criminal will confess to a priest and the priest can't/won't do anything because of the "God factor". Supposedly, since a priest is a vessel of God, you're "technically" confessing to God and it's now between the criminal and God.

It's nuts, I know.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
It's also "understood" that what you say to a priest/pastor remains with them. There's been many instances where a criminal will confess to a priest and the priest can't/won't do anything because of the "God factor". Supposedly, since a priest is a vessel of God, you're "technically" confessing to God and it's now between the criminal and God.

It's nuts, I know.
It wasn't a matter of expecting the pastor getting the authorities involved. It was a matter of the pastor pressuring my ex brother in law or his family to get my brother-in-law to cut the fucking shit and be a man for once in his worthless life. But, the pastor couldn't be bothered.

Of course, the church this same pastor ran had a parochial school where one of the teachers went down for fooling around with his students, the OLDEST of which was just in the 9th grade (one of which was the 12 or 13 year old sister of his current girlfriend).

And, of course, this same pastor was, years later, revealed to have been having a long-term affair with the wife of one of the ushers.

Yeah......I have issues with organized religion.