3 more years of 'South Park'!

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
The creators of irreverent TV cartoon series South Park have landed a new $75 million deal to make another three 14-episode seasons for Comedy Central.

Animators Matt Stone and Trey Parker's new deal, which contracts them to 2011, brings their stint at the TV network to over 10 years.

A thrilled Stone tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Three more years of South Park will give us the opportunity to offend that many more people."

http://hollywood.com/news/South_Park_Creators_Net_75_Million_Deal/4747646

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
FUCK YEAH!!!!!

now ill have 3 more years of shows to catch up on someday!

FredThe4thMic

Censorship goes Cumsies
Feb 11, 2007
Hooray!
The Jumping the Shark Years!

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
I'm going to start more threads than you can keep up with, MAV.

Tryaluckystrike

Feb 19, 2007
Perhaps they could put out consistently strong episodes instead of alternating between one great one and one weak-as-shit one (like hockey cancer or the tale of head lice. Ecccch!)

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
For the most part theyve been consistently funny these past few years, long after many shows of the same age have gone the other way. Good news that they'll be around for another three years.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
For the most part theyve been consistently funny these past few years, long after many shows of the same age have gone the other way. Good news that they'll be around for another three years.
I agree, but I think a huge part of that is because they base so many of the episodes off of real life related plots. Almost the entire last two seasons have been parodies on news events or pop culture. Not that its a bad thing, and the episodes have definitely been funny.....its just something that I dont believe takes as much to design as a completely original plot. Its almost as if the town of south park has ceased to exist and the entire town is just a scale model America. Fortunately, that transition happened quickly while the show was still reaching its peak and we dont have a Simpsons-like after taste in our mouth from it.

The writers have done a nice job of taking the topic du jour and warping it enough where its humorous and edgy rather than just redundant.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Unlike other shows, South Park probably had the most amazing reverse shark jump in history. Ever try to watch those episodes from the first two seasons? They're terrible. I remember almost giving it up around the "faux-clip show" episode but then the movie came out and that changed everything. It went from being a silly, dirty cartoon to being the most brilliant, cutting, insightful show on TV.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Yea, its amazing how quickly and subtly it went from a cartoon largely based on toilet humor into a cultural and political satire (and, of course, there is still plenty of sick shit going on).

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
I hope they go out on top though and don't pull a simpsons....even though SP is even more Fucked up and funnier now then ever.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
I remember the last time they reupped Matt and Trey said that they'd like to do one more movie as a way to close out the series once the televised run ends. I wonder if they still plan on doing this in, say, five years or so.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
I really hope they don't go the way the Simpsons did. I love South Park.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Simby19 said:
The creators of irreverent TV cartoon series South Park have landed a new $75 million deal to make another three 14-episode seasons for Comedy Central.

Animators Matt Stone and Trey Parker's new deal, which contracts them to 2011, brings their stint at the TV network to over 10 years.

A thrilled Stone tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Three more years of South Park will give us the opportunity to offend that many more people."
http://hollywood.com/news/South_Park_Creators_Net_75_Million_Deal/4747646

NICE !!!

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
YES!

As long as they keep the show up to the hilarious caliber of the past few seasons, it will be amazing.

Aug 10, 2007
I agree, but I think a huge part of that is because they base so many of the episodes off of real life related plots. Almost the entire last two seasons have been parodies on news events or pop culture. Not that its a bad thing, and the episodes have definitely been funny.....its just something that I dont believe takes as much to design as a completely original plot. Its almost as if the town of south park has ceased to exist and the entire town is just a scale model America. Fortunately, that transition happened quickly while the show was still reaching its peak and we dont have a Simpsons-like after taste in our mouth from it.

The writers have done a nice job of taking the topic du jour and warping it enough where its humorous and edgy rather than just redundant.
Would you rather they fill 95% of their episodes with flashbacks and every other line be "Remember that time?". Or be like the Simpsons, trying to be relevant but every episode is 8 months behind the times.

PS: I loved the "Lice" episode, if you think about it, it had a very deep plot. If you don't think about it, its just a bunch of lice dying. Either way it was classic. Obviously not their best but even Family Guy couldn't touch South Park's worst episode.

Best part being, none of the shows mentioned in this thread hold a candle to Futurama.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Would you rather they fill 95% of their episodes with flashbacks and every other line be "Remember that time?". Or be like the Simpsons, trying to be relevant but every episode is 8 months behind the times.

PS: I loved the "Lice" episode, if you think about it, it had a very deep plot. If you don't think about it, its just a bunch of lice dying. Either way it was classic. Obviously not their best but even Family Guy couldn't touch South Park's worst episode.

Best part being, none of the shows mentioned in this thread hold a candle to Futurama.

Yea, Futurama is fuckin great. Cant wait for that to come back, either.