OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

30 Minutes or Less

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by atxklown, Jul 13, 2011.

1. atxklown

atxklown Will you do me a Kindness

Starring Jesse Eisenberg as the Pizza guy with a bomb on his chest asks help from his friend Aziz Ansari to rob a bank for Danny McBride and sidekick Nick Swardson. Thanks to Ain't It Cool, I got to see this a month early (movie comes out August 12) also Q&A with Jesse Eisenberg. This is a really good movie. Jesse basically plays the straight guy to the comedic actors. Danny's character was written for him, so it's Kenny Powers with a Metallica t-shirt. Apparently a directors cut would be better because Jesse said they had to cut scenes, but still left a bonus after the credits.

2. Douche McGee

3. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

Is this worth getting On Demand? I like Aziz, Danny McBride, Eisenberg, hate Nick Swardson....

Only 44% good on RT

4. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

I liked it well enough. Nothing amazing but still good for some laughs. I'd give it 3/5 stars.

5. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I thought it came across like it was supposed to be a really dark comedy that they decided to make into a more goofy comedy. But that might just be because Danny McBride was doing his normal thing but was an evil idiot, not simply a scumbag idiot.

6. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

Meh... nothing special
    Pretty standard action/robbing/bad guy with funny(?) lines along the way. No real laughs, but I guess I made it through the movie, so there's that.

Shockingly my hate for Nick Swardson didn't affect the movie at all, in fact he wasn't bad.

7. thekidslepthere

thekidslepthere Registered User

I kind of liked it. I know it's not amazing, but it seems like one of those movies I'll watch for at least ten minutes every time I find it on cable for the next three years.

8. LiddyRules

I also kind of wished it was longer, and I think its length (83 minutes) worked against it. Since it wasn't some sort of thrill ride, I would have preferred more time with the main guys (including Swardson, oddly enough).

9. thekidslepthere

Is that how short it is? I wound up seeing it in the test screening process, it was at least 20 minutes longer then that.

10. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

Yeah, it was 1:23 on my screen. It did feel short.

11. LiddyRules

I would like to know what they took out since, like I said (implied), I felt there was more of a movie in there.

12. thekidslepthere

I even read the script, which made the Blacklist a year or two ago. The movie I saw was pretty true to that, except for the ending.

Here's the ending in the script and the ending in the test screened version of the movie, did it change anymore?

I remember in the script, Danny McBride's dad winds up dying. Danny thinks he's going to get all the money to open his business, but then he finds out that his dad had already pissed away all his money, so there was nothing there for him. He might of even owed a bunch of money to the bank, not positive I read it a year or two ago. I just remember it wasn't a positive ending for Danny McBride.

The version of the movie I saw, Danny's dad survived, he now has a different feeling for some reason about his son and they do wind up opening up the tanning salon or whatever it was and over the credits they had like a shitty low budget TV commercial for the business with the dad in a wheel chair. It was super corny and really took away from the movie. Even with a comedy you can't reward a character who straps a bomb to another characters body and threatens to kill him if he doesn't rob a bank.

Now I'm kind of pissed that they cut this movie so tight, I was actually looking forward to watching it again up until now.

If anyone really wanted to read it, let me know I can email it over.

13. LiddyRules

In the ending, the assassin hired by Danny McBride presumably kills the father (he shoots him in the stomach, but we never see him again). Then he comes to the meeting place with Zuckerberg, Parks and Recreation, Swardson, and Danny McBride. Swardson and the assassin off each other, Zuck/P+R/P+R's sister run off with the money, McBride gives chase, but Zuckerberg reconfigured the bomb to blow up his van. Then they open the bag with the money and a dye pack explodes in P+R's face. They include the low budget TV commercial for the prostitute tanning salon at the end of the credits, but it's weird because everyone is dead.

14. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

I kind of assumed the Dad and Swardson were ok, but I wasn't putting all my brain power into watching

15. LiddyRules

At the very least, Swardson had severe burns. Like the dad, we never see him again nor do we seem him breathing so because I was seeing the movie as a darker comedy, I assumed they died.

16. Bill Lehecka

Bill Lehecka The Fat Horse v. 2.0
    Donator

Movie could've been something, but it was too short, ended abruptly, and wasn't evil enough.

But I saw it at a test screening for free, so I can't complain too much.

I did e-mail the Tanning Salon after I saw the screening, and got a response the day the movie opened. Nothing earth shattering.

17. thekidslepthere

I still find it interesting that they took this real life morbid story and used it as a set up for a comedy.

There was a big article in Wired like a year ago about the real story. It's definitely worth reading (I think they put all their articles online).

18. Voodoo Ben

Voodoo Ben You gotta wash your ass

about the real story, they ever find out who strapped the bomb to the guy or did he do it himself?

19. thekidslepthere

If I remember the article, I think the chick he was hooking up with basically set the dude up.

20. Voodoo Ben

i remember seeing that on the news when it happened.

21. Voodoo Ben

double post, sorry.