OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

$300 Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by Bobobie, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Oct 1, 2005
    To those that think they can't get a cheap PC game machine so figure its cheaper to just buy a console.

I built one from low end parts and managed to play the latest COD, Bioshock, and Crysis at Med settings at 800x600. It's an Athlon X2 4000+ with 2 gig of Ram and a Geforce 8400 GS Graphics card. I was looking to just build a cheap computer for my sister and used what was left over of the budget for a cheap graphics card. I then got a cheaper motherboard without onboard graphics. The motherboard has very few features, only one IDE port and two SATA Ports, for instance. It does have PCI Express X16 port and onboard sound. I was surprised at how well it all worked. I even played a few hours of Oblivion on it.
  2. Stalker2

Stalker2 Registered User

Jun 7, 2001
    If your interested I will be selling an EVGA 8600 GTS card soon.Overclocks
    692 core/1026 memory stable although I`ve had it up to 700 core already.
  3. thelord68

thelord68 There's always time for lubricant

Feb 24, 2003
    Considering how quickly new CPUs are released, what was once a high end processor a year ago, would be a very affordable or even cheap processor now.

Same goes for graphics cards, which are more important to a gaming rig.

So a gaming PC built to high end specs a year ago, would be be priced in the middle of the range now. A mid-range gaming rig then, would be a low-end one today.

As long as you get a decent (but not necessarily expensive) graphics card - any of the Nvidia 8000 series for example - you should be able to get acceptable performance.