355 Hp Volkswagen GTI-R

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
Jun 8, 2005
I have always been a fan of Volkswagen esp. the GTI and the Scirocco (will be making a come back in 2008, but the cars look is…poor). So I came across this; a VW GTI-R with 355 Hp and a whopping 340 ft-lb of torque…0 to 60 in just over 4.5 seconds. I know it’s a concept car but if you read the article most of the aftermarket additions are available now. For a small light car this is a freighting amount of torque and horsepower. IMO I think this could be done for less than $32,000. I want one.

Link

youtube

Jan 6, 2006
I saw a promo for this car on Top Gear not long ago.

They tested it and although it's fast, the car can not take a corner or any kind of turn without completely spinning out.

Not to mention, concept cars have less than .00001% chance of ever being functional past model creation.

Jan 18, 2006
Phoenix
I saw this on VW Vortex before they even had a price for it. I want one.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
ummm. yea im going to pass on that one, the only VW i would buy is an old diesel rabbit. other wise that group (vw, Audi (sorry knee) porche) are dead to me. there fucking a good friend of mine on his toureg that has an air bag problem. not to mention there an incredible pain in the ass to work on, if your not a factory tech

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
sorry to say so but the build quality of Volkswagen has sunk below the fuckin toilet in the past 6 years or so. They had the 25 and under market wrapped up but even women won't touch the cabriolet's anymore because their reputation has screwed them. Infamous issues like windows falling off door tracks, bad electrical issues, they are fucked.

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
there fucking a good friend of mine on his toureg that has an air bag problem. not to mention there an incredible pain in the ass to work on, if your not a factory tech
I know a VW dealer who had to eat like 6 Toureg's on Lemon Law returns the first year they came out w/them, he ended up getting lucky selling them to a Ukranian wholesaler who paid over wholesale cost on them and shipped them to Russia, they are pieces of shit.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I've always thought that if you want a German car, the only way to go is BMW... Especially if you're gonna spend 30-35K. I'd rather have a nice 328i. Everyone I know who had a VW long-term ended up dealing with some kind of oddball mechanical problem that took a long time to finally get repaired correctly.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
I'm on vortex and own a 20th Anniversary GTi.

That being said, I would never want that much power in a front wheel drive car. I'd take an Evo, STi or BMW 135i for that price.

Also, my Evo would kill that GTi.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
there are a few things that im not happy about on mine, mostly interior shit thats broke and a fucked up sensor but all the mechanical stuff has been coverd under warentee

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
Jun 8, 2005
...concept cars have less than .00001% chance of ever being functional past model creation.
The R-32 will be out next year, it's a GTi with a 250 Hp v-6 and has many of the changes in the concept car plus it's all wheel drive.

I've always thought that if you want a German car, the only way to go is BMW... Especially if you're gonna spend 30-35K. I'd rather have a nice 328i.
I think you make a good point, why spend 30K on a VW when you can get a BMW. For me, I like the idea a sleeper car. "Look at the little VW, its harmless" and then you blow the doors off of a lot of cars on the road. Serendipity baby! When you see BMW you know it's a performance car, no surprises.

:icon_eek: i want one!

me too, here's mine :icon_cool

well, almost... this one is mine... :)

The GTI , R32 or the Scirocco?

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
my bmw makes my dick look bigger :p

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
gonna save all my moneeeey
and buy a GTIIIII

WHA WHAAA
WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHAAAA

love that song

Xtra Krispy

Feb 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I've got an '07 GTI and have had no problems with it as well as my wife's '06 TDI Jetta.

I think they are way up on quality from the MKIV GTI's although I still love the way those 20th GTI's look (especially in that blue color).

I love the GTI R Concept and especially like the Thunder Bunny concept but I'd be all over the 650hp W12 GTI Concept they recently came out with.

Turtle

WACKBAGGER
Jun 8, 2005
I've got an '07 GTI and have had no problems with it as well as my wife's '06 TDI Jetta.

I think they are way up on quality from the MKIV GTI's although I still love the way those 20th GTI's look (especially in that blue color).

I love the GTI R Concept and especially like the Thunder Bunny concept but I'd be all over the 650hp W12 GTI Concept they recently came out with.

That looks bad ass

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
The R-32 will be out next year, it's a GTi with a 250 Hp v-6 and has many of the changes in the concept car plus it's all wheel drive.
pssst, that car is already available.

Also all the problems that people hear about are from the first few production years of the MKIV's. Everything, for the most part, was fixed on all the cars built after 2002.

SteveSteele

1 dog's goin this way..1 dog's goin that way...
Nov 22, 2004
New Rochelle, NY
The MkIII's and MkIV's had some of the same issues. Window regulator's were a poor design. Sunroof and tailgate had poor drainage. Coil pack issues all around (w/ two different designs). Main power lines were woefully inadequate. And some other things that were remedied with some aftermarket products.

That being said, I've enjoyed my 1998 VW GTI-VR6 since the day I bought it.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
I've wanted a Scirocco for years. That being said, the new one is terrible.