3D Gaming - Nvidia 3D Vision 2

Capt.Hilarious

Of all the names to choose...Capt.Hilarious?
Apr 26, 2006
MD
So has anyone jumped into 3D gaming? I was skeptical at first and thought it would be too gimmicky but my bro has is set up on his rig and I have to say I was really impressed. It takes gaming to a whole different level and I can see it really changing the way we play.

I just ordered new innards for my PC (i7 2600K, 8GB DDR3, ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 board, Geforce GTX 570) and plan to roll out 3D Vision 2 soon. When the new generation of Nvidia cards come out next year, I'm going to pick up a second 570 and run it in SLI so this PC should last me a good 3 - 5 years.

ATI doesn't support 3D (although that's changing soon). So if you want it you have to run a Geforce card. More info here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

You need to buy their vision kit which includes the glasses and a receiver. You also have to pick up a compatible monitor.

I'm going to be getting the newest BenQ XL2420T:

http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2420t

Only a few monitors support the Lightboost technology that the 3D Vision 2 glasses take advantage of and this is one of them. Plus, in standard 2D, it's got great stats.

Once I'm up and running I'll post back here with some more thoughts but I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experiences.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
My TV is 3D ready without needing any extra crap except the glasses, so even though I've been the "3D isn't ever going to catch on" guy, I got the glasses. I only have one game on the XBOX that's 3D (Crysis 2) and it does look pretty amazing, and you're right about it not being gimmicky. But it doesn't really add anything either. It's just an option. I wouldn't miss it if I broke the glasses.

I don't know if however nVidia does it will work on a TV as a PC monitor. Do they do side-by-side or any of the standard 3D formats or is their shit proprietary to their emitter and glasses?

Capt.Hilarious

Apr 26, 2006
MD
The only things that are proprietary are the glasses and emitter. If you want to use those, you have to use one of the compatible monitors. Since I don't have a 3D HDTV yet, I decided to just stick with 3D on my computer monitor which requires an upgrade (cheaper than a 3D HDTV though).

BUT the 3D content that is being piped through a NVIDIA GPU is not proprietary at all. So as long as your TV can receive HDMI 1.4 (it should if it's 3D ready) then you should be able to connect your 3DTV to your graphics card and use your HDTV with the glasses you have with no problems.

I'd also say that, from what I've read, 3D gaming on the consoles doesn't compare at all to the immersion you experience on the PC.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The only things that are proprietary are the glasses and emitter. If you want to use those, you have to use one of the compatible monitors. Since I don't have a 3D HDTV yet, I decided to just stick with 3D on my computer monitor which requires an upgrade (cheaper than a 3D HDTV though).

BUT the 3D content that is being piped through a NVIDIA GPU is not proprietary at all. So as long as your TV can receive HDMI 1.4 (it should if it's 3D ready) then you should be able to connect your 3DTV to your graphics card and use your HDTV with the glasses you have with no problems.

I'd also say that, from what I've read, 3D gaming on the consoles doesn't compare at all to the immersion you experience on the PC.
Cool, maybe I won't return the glasses just yet.

But I don't see how the game being on a PC vs. console would matter. All the 3D monitors I've seen max out at 1920x1080, same as a console. And by virtue of needing to run at 120Hz for the 3D effect to work, both formats are capped at 60fps. Assuming the same game, the "immersion" should be the same. I'm sure some games do it better than others, but the platform shouldn't matter.

Capt.Hilarious

Apr 26, 2006
MD
I think it's not so much the technical production that I was referring to but the experience. I imagine when I game on my PS3 which is a little laid back on the couch on my HDTV which is 6+ feet away vs sitting at my computer desk only 1+ feet away from the monitor with headphones on and eyes at the same level as the center of the screen. I guess you could do the same with console gaming but kind of defeats the purpose of it being a console.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I think it's not so much the technical production that I was referring to but the experience. I imagine when I game on my PS3 which is a little laid back on the couch on my HDTV which is 6+ feet away vs sitting at my computer desk only 1+ feet away from the monitor with headphones on and eyes at the same level as the center of the screen. I guess you could do the same with console gaming but kind of defeats the purpose of it being a console.
I've got a 73" TV. Immersion is not a problem. Now you've got me debating dragging the gaming computer to the living room. First, I've gotta see if anything I have for the PC is even 3D-capable.