OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

3rd Hour of RAW rated lower than 2nd Hour, 15th Week Running

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Neckbeard, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

I stand by my declaration that 3rd hour RAW is one of the worst decisions in this company history and in conjunction with the WWE Network fiasco is potentially company killing. Did anybody in the 1980s and 1990s conceive of a world without WCW?

Here are the facts.

October 15, 2012 was the lowest rated RAW since spring 1997. Fact. It was the lowest rated non-holiday RAW in over 15 years.

This week marks the 15th consecutive week where hour 3 had fewer viewers than hour 2. 15th consecutive week. Let that sink in. The most crucial hour of programming with all the big angles and an overrun loses viewers.

Not only that, the gap is getting larger.

This week's Hour 2 Versus Hour 3 Gap? Take a guess. I'm putting the spoiler of the gap. Just try to take a guess.

Hour 2 - 4.126m
    Hour 3 - 3.488m
    638,000 viewers stopped watching RAW.

My God. It has to end. This is a huge failure.

2. Gorilla Pimp

Gorilla Pimp Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO

the reason WCW was able to pull off a 3 hour nitro on mondays is because of the depth of the roster.First hour would be like a Cruiserweight title match and some of the Mexican wrestling... They would also have the nWo come out and do a promo at the beginning and set up whatever main event would be coming at the end of the night... WWE's roster lately seems like there are only 15 guys and it's the same shit over and over....

Wrestling has been getting progressively worse since McMahon bought out ECW and WCW.

Neckbeard likes this.
  3. Gorilla Pimp

Also if you go WWE.com and find the WCW section, the writers on their still take jabs at WCW which has been dead for 10 years. Why are you still trying to bury a company that had an amazing run. Also that rise and fall of WCW there are a bunch of jabs mcmahon throws at WCW... WCW was the shit, and the competition they had with eachother made both of them put out their best shit.

4. Neckbeard

The company should be steadily gaining viewers as the segments and matches have more interesting things to them and involve the bigger stars...And they lose viewers. 15 to 20 percent of the audience from Hour 1 is not around for Hour 3. That is a disaster.

5. Gorilla Pimp

let me ask you something... Did you find the Daniel Bryan Rey Mysterio match as pointless and as boring as I did? Because that's around the time I turned Raw off on Monday, which was probably around the end of hour 2.

Also... do you think part of those numbers are due to Football fans cutting over to watch Monday Night Football after hour 1?

6. tysonpunchinguterus

tysonpunchinguterus "Allegedly"

I think part of it is that they'll re-air the same highlights 3 times. I understand that they want people tuning in at 9 to know what happened at 8, but people who have been watching don't want to see it 3 more times. By the last time they show it people are going to start flipping to see if anything else is on and they might not flip back again. They added an extra hour but they didn't add enough new content to fill that hour.

Neckbeard likes this.
  7. Neckbeard

I'm not buying it. RAW is definitely always in competition to MNF but there was a time in our lives where wrestling would beat MNF ratings. Now, football is much bigger in the culture and pro wrestling much smaller, but it didn't really have these issues in the past as a 2 hour program. Yeah, it would likely lose viewers to MNF. But the same people who would watch football are in large part the same people who watch wrestling,
    younger families and men in their 20s and 30s.

3rd hour was losing viewers prior to MNF as well. Also, these are close to 10, 15 year lows for RAW and ratings have been low as an ongoing issue for a good 4, 5 months now.

8. fulldevilsoccer

fulldevilsoccer Registered User

It will work out. Overall ratings is just prestige it's not money. The biggest mistake on their part was to launch the 3 hour Raw without a plan. They can tweak the format

9. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

ECW was dead before Vince bought it. (Point taken, by the way.)

10. Lord Zero

WCW was only the shit from 1996 - 1998 and that was only because of the on-air product. As a company, WCW always sucked and any money they made was in spite of themselves.

11. tysonpunchinguterus

It seems like everything they do is without a plan lately. The entire Survivor Series card was essentially thrown together at the last minute except for the Show/Sheamus match. Vince reappears with the same authority he had when he was "removed from control of Raw" months ago without any explanation. The have Dolph Ziggler win the Smackdown Money in the Bank and then seem to forget that he even has the damn thing. They plan to have him cash it in at a PPV and then decide not to at the last minute. They book a PPV title match, can't figure out how to end it with Punk still the champ and Ryback not losing, and then decide on the "heel ref wants a contract" angle that ends 1 week later with the ref losing his only match and not getting the contract. They've been talking about starting their own network for what seems like forever but still don't seem to have any idea how to get it started or when they will launch it.

12. Neckbeard

Don't forget the futility and stupidity of Smackdown's Money in the Bank holder being fed to RAW's top guy, John Cena.

13. tysonpunchinguterus

I don't have a problem with the feud in theory. For the most part, it's been decent once they figured out what they were doing. In this case, I think the feud has actually benefitted from their lack of planning since a Survivor Series match would have seemed rushed. However, the match on Raw just made Ziggler look bad. He's supposed to be a threat for the World Title but he can't beat an injured John Cena even when he tries to cheat? I'm sure the argument next week will be that AJ caused a distraction and they'll have a rematch where vickie bars her from ringside or something like that, but it doesn't do anything to make Ziggler look like a credible threat to anyone's championship and you'd have to figure that they wouldn't throw anyone into a feud with Cena unless they felt like he was a potential main event guy. So they give the guy an angle with their top face to build him up, but have already determined that he will come out of it as the loser. How's that building him up? I think Vince and the writers all have ADHD and just get distracted halfway through booking every angle.

14. fulldevilsoccer

Well they have grand plan and that is Punk's reign that ends at Royal rumble. That is the one thing they are dedicated to and it's killing the ratings. I mean they're ready to throw everything around, upside down, kill angles, forget about Ziggler's MITB and so on......but when they have some momentum with a wrestler (Ryback) for the first time in a year they're ready to bury him to protect Punk's stupid title reign.

15. tysonpunchinguterus

Punk is the best thing about either show right now, with Kane/Bryan close behind. I don't think Ryback has as much momentum as they'd like everyone to believe. Some of those chants seem like they might be piped in, the guy can't talk, and he can barely wrestle for more than 2 minutes. Nothing about him says "Main Event" other than Vince's man-crush on anyone with big muscles. He's best suited to be one of the "I lift things up and put them down" guys in a Planet Fitness commercial.

Stormrider666 likes this.
  16. fulldevilsoccer

Not now after they buried Ryback. But he had momentum. Punk has zero momentum. He hasn't been hot since summerslam 2011.

17. tysonpunchinguterus

Punk still gets the crowd to react. That's his job as a heel. If there's a problem with Punk's run as champion it's that the company hasn't built up enough faces as believable challengers. Ryback was never built up as a credible challenger. He was squashing jobbers and midcarders and then went straight to a PPV main event. Had they given him a decent feud with anyone and gone about it a little slower so he could build up some credibility (and in-ring skills and stamina), then maybe he would've worked out better. As it is, he's not even at the Ultimate Warrior's level and nobody would line up to see the Ultimate Warrior in this era. The guy will never be World Champion material. He's had 8 years to work on his wrestling and mic skills and this is the best he could do--3 syllables at a time and winded after 90 seconds of slow-paced power moves. They're using him while they can get anything out of him because they know he's not going to last long unless he gets dramatically better. Ryback's momentum was partly piped-in chants to drown out the Goldberg chants. That's not momentum, that's trying to trick the audience into thinking, "Well, everybody else really loves this guy, so I guess I should, too." It might've worked if their audience was really as young as their programming's TV-PG rating suggests.

#17 tysonpunchinguterus, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  18. Neckbeard

You know full well that the average viewer of the WWE is in his mid 20s to early 30s. They still enjoy wrestling from their childhood but now they've got a little time and disposable cash on hand to get into it again.

19. fulldevilsoccer

So why do they tune out when Punk pops up on the screen? I don't know where I read it but some article claimed that the whole reason for bringing on the PG-programming was that WWE found out through market research that a very high percentage, a majority of the money spenders, the PPV-buys and merch-buyers are kids. You can say Vince is an idiot but WWE is a public company with probably billions on the line. It's not a regional promotion anymore.
    I don't know how to respond to that. With the one exception of HHH's win over Punk at Night of champs(?) and Cena main eventing a few B-show ppvs WWE has done nothing but to pander to Punk for more than a year. And according to you low ratings still has nothing to do with Punk's boring gimmick?

20. tysonpunchinguterus

Exactly. I don't know why the company sometimes books as if they don't know who's watching. I realize that they need to groom a new generation of fans who will watch 10 years from now, but they can do that without force-feeding the audience guys with no noticeable skills. Vince's memory can't be so short that he already forgot that guys who are pushed based solely on an undefeated streak can't stay undefeated forever and they have nothing once that "unbeatable" aura is gone. right now, Ryback hasn't lost a clean finish, but he will at some point and after that he'll be doing something like teaming with Santino or feuding with Tensai on Superstars until they either send him back to the developmental territory to be repackaged again or just cut him loose completely. considering Vince's love for over-the-top characters, it's odd that he keeps going back to the well for guys who have tons of muscle but no personality and trying to push them over guys who are actually entertaining. It won't be long before Ryback is trading "I coulda been somebody" stories with Chris Masters.

21. tysonpunchinguterus

How have they pandered to Punk? He went something like 9 or 10 PPVs as the champion without being in the main event so guys like Cena, the Rock, and Lesnar could have those matches. It was one of the main arguments he made when he turned heel--he wasn't getting the respect he deserved as the champion and he had to sit there wand watch non-title matches headline PPV after PPV. Unless you think that he and the creative team sat down a year ago and decided to do that on purpose in order to build to his heel turn then you can't say they've pandered to him.

Royal Rumble: obviously, the Rumble was the main event
    Elimination Chamber: Cena vs. Kane
    WM XVIII: Cena vs. Rock
    Extreme Rules: Cena vs. Lesnar
    Over the Limit: Cena vs. Laurenitis
    No Way Out: Cena vs. Big Show
    Money in the Bank: Raw MitB match: Cena, Jericho, Kane, Big Show, Miz
    Summer Slam: HHH vs. Lesnar
    Night of Champions: Punk vs. Cena
    Hell in a Cell: Punk vs. Ryback
    Survivor Series: Pnk vs. Cena vs. Ryback

It took until the 9th PPV of the year for Punk to main event a PPV. Cena, on the other hand, main evented 6 consecutive PPVs during that time (including that B-show that fell between Elimination Chamber and Extreme Rules). Maybe ratings are down because they added an extra hour without adding enough content to fill that hour and people don't want to watch the same segement 3 or 4 times. Or maybe it's because people actually do still care about titles and having both titles relegated to mid-card status (even curtain-jerking status in some cases for the World Title) so non-title matches can headline 7 consecutive PPVs (I'm not counting the Rumble since that should always be its own main event) devalues them. Isn't the idea that every wrestler is supposed to want to be the champion? If so, then having the titles treated as if they're the IC/US titles for most of the year hurts the product. Not having enough viable challengers to the titles hurts the product. When Cena wasn't healthy enough for Hell in a Cell, they had to turn to the guy who is quite possibly the least-talented man on the roster as his replacement--a guy who hadn't even wrestled on either of the 2 previous PPVs. None of that is Punk's fault.

Neckbeard likes this.
  22. Neckbeard

The undefeated streak thing is so antiquated. It was a territory staple. As soon as the monster face or heel gets "defeated for the first time" the aura is gone. He can maybe lose his "second" or "third" match and then he goes out of the territory. Every state used to have wrestling federations. Some guy loses in Corn Pone, Iowa and he just leaves and does the gimmick in Nebraska.

Right now Ryback is going to lose his first 3 PPV matches for a belt. All the mystique is gone. It doesn't work. You've got the undefeated streak guy who got his streak broken in 3 straight months. Now what?
    He has to get over on the mic and in the ring? Ahahahaha.

Anybody who needs an undefeated streak to get over isn't worth getting over in this era.

Hell, I'd rather watch Big E Langston over Ryback. We all know what Langston's sin is though, melanin. More backwards, retrograde 1980s thinking from a company soooo cutting edge.

Speaking to Punk, the heel turn did make sense. Look at it this way. There was a PPV called Elimination Chamber and CM Punk had the belt and was a participant in it and not only was it not the main event it started the PPV! He's gotten bumped for the likes of Johnny Ace and Alberto Del Silencioso.

23. UCJOE

UCJOE I have a lot of business with the Chinese

There is a lot wrong there
    WWE's audience has an all-time low viewership under-18
    The audience is older now than ever before
    The reason they went PG-13 is bec of advertisers & sponsorships
    They wanted more kid viewers but that failed & they alienated older viewers as well
    Losing 1/3 of your audience/biz is not good business

Neckbeard likes this.
  24. UCJOE

UCJOE I have a lot of business with the Chinese

They have done nothing remotely close :cool:

25. Lord Zero

fulldevilsoccer has "interesting" opinions on wrestling. Let's review:
    • Chris Jericho is a violent political player.
    • Rob Van Dam was main event player that WWE missed the boat on.
    • CM Punk has an enormous amount of political pull and bends the WWE to his will.