4th-Grade 'Science Test' Goes Viral: Creationism Quiz Claims Dinosaurs Lived With People

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
4th-Grade 'Science Test' Goes Viral: Creationism Quiz Claims Dinosaurs Lived With People (PHOTO)

The Huffington Post

Dinosaurs hung out with humans; God created dinosaurs on the sixth day; the "behemoth" described in the Bible's Book of Job actually refers to a brontosaurus. These are some of the unscientific beliefs behind what appears to be a fourth-grade science quiz posted recently online.

The quiz, dated Feb. 28 and titled "Dinosaurs: Genesis and the Gospel," was posted to Reddit's r/atheism forum by user Puskunk on April 21. Puskunk claims the quiz is from a private religious school in South Carolina but doesn't identify the institution because "it is a small school and I don't want any publicity that might reflect badly on the kid" who took the test.

The student evidently scored 100 percent on the test, answering "False" to statements such as "The Earth is billions of years old" and "Dinosaurs lived millions of years ago," among other bizarre questions.

The photo sparked a huge debate on the r/atheism thread. Many Redditors question whether the test is real; others claimed they had been taught similar lessons by creationists.

Snopes.com, a site that often works to verify or debunk viral pictures and videos, said the photo is "probably" legitimate, but further evidence "remains to be seen." The quiz's content seems, however, to line up with the views of creationist groups like Answers in Genesis, which produces an educational DVD with the same title as the quiz.

A reader even emailed Snopes to say that the quiz belonged to his 10-year-old daughter. "She will not be attending the school next year," he wrote.

The reader also sent in a picture of the back of the quiz, which included this question: "The next time someone says the earth is billions (or millions) of years old, what can you say?" Answer: "Were you there?"

While creationism has not historically been a part of the public school science curriculum in America, a 2012 Gallup poll reported that 46 percent of Americans said they believe in creationism. Even as some states weigh whether to allow creationism in public school text books, scientists have been ramping up their criticism of the belief.

Scientist and entertainer Bill Nye weighed in, telling the Associated Press in September: "The Earth is not 6,000 or 10,000 years old. It's not. And if that conflicts with your beliefs, I strongly feel you should question your beliefs."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...reationism-questions-dinosaurs_n_3163922.html

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
More importantly, 4th grade students still get stickers? Seems a bit too old

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Ever see a 4th grade science quiz that says '4th grade science quiz' on it?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Bravo Sierra.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I was always told that behemoth was more like an even larger super-hippo that went extinct.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
8. A woman's genitals are the property of her husband. True False

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Ever see a 4th grade science quiz that says '4th grade science quiz' on it?
It could be a small school with multiple grades in each classroom or a school where the teacher teaches multiple grades each day.

100 kids in a school of K-6th would be 14-15 kids per class.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Of course it's fake. Another "shit I don't have a story, let me go on Reddit" example. Not a bit of evidence.

Didn't even bother to change handwriting before doing the grade. It's not even a good forgery.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
So now HuffPo is sourcing their stories from inconclusive Snopes articles? Journalism is dead.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
So now HuffPo is sourcing their stories from inconclusive Snopes articles? Journalism is dead.
They get partial credit for admitting it could be bullshit, but a story that could be bullshit should never see the light of day.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Of course it's fake. Another "shit I don't have a story, let me go on Reddit" example. Not a bit of evidence.

Didn't even bother to change handwriting before doing the grade. It's not even a good forgery.
I saw the handwriting giveaway too. All the circles around the answers come together the same way as the zero in the grade, the closure is under and inside the starting point.
Besides, it doesn't look like child writing.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
For the record, the Behemoth in Job 40 is most definitely not an Apatosaurus (Brontosaurus)

15 “Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you​
and which feeds on grass like an ox.​
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!​
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.​
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.​
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.​
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.​
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.​
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?​
An animal that large cannot lie under a tree or be hidden by reeds and lotuses. Also, you'd think they would mention something about its neck, which they don't, and look at the last verse - "pierce its nose." Apatosaurus doesn't have a nose. It has breathing holes towards the top of its skull - pretty much between the eyes. Not even a creationist quiz would make that mistake, methinks.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
If we spotted it, you'd think a journalist for a billion dollar media company could ask a handwriting expert to look.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
So someone wrote into Snopes saying it was their kid and that they were pulling him out of that school. Did they mention the name of the school or where it is? Because every time I see one of these "you won't believe what they taught my kid at school" stories, it's always the mother on the news holding the damn quiz in her hand, not a viral internet thing on Facebook with no context. Sorry, not buying it. Obviously there are people out there who think this way, but I don't think this is legit.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If we spotted it, you'd think a journalist for a billion dollar media company could ask a handwriting expert to look.
That would require work and time. Doing work and doing it patiently and correctly makes it harder to be the first one to get the news out, and everyone knows that the fastest news outlet is the very bestest news outlet. Ratings!

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
For the record, the Behemoth in Job 40 is most definitely not an Apatosaurus (Brontosaurus)

15 “Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you​
and which feeds on grass like an ox.​
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!​
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.​
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.​
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.​
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.​
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.​
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?​

An animal that large cannot lie under a tree or be hidden by reeds and lotuses. Also, you'd think they would mention something about its neck, which they don't, and look at the last verse - "pierce its nose." Apatosaurus doesn't have a nose. It has breathing holes towards the top of its skull - pretty much between the eyes. Not even a creationist quiz would make that mistake, methinks.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's so fucking fake, every question is one used to (rightfully) mock the moron fanatical Christians that believe this stuff. Why would a Christian school pick every single question outsiders use to make fun of them, and put them on the same quiz?

The only way I'd believe it is if we're given the name of the school, and the school makes a statement regarding the quiz. And if that happens, we should burn the school down.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Now do you people see why I think ripping stories from social media with absolutely no checking is bad journalism?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Thankfully Don doesn't disappoint when there's a possibility that religion might be mocked on a message board.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Now do you people see why I think ripping stories from social media with absolutely no checking is bad journalism?
I'd be worried about anybody who thinks a blog is journalism. And despite what they'd like to think, HuffPo is just a blog like any other.

Also:
Snopes.com, a site that often works to verify or debunk viral pictures and videos, said the photo is "probably" legitimate
Unsurprisingly, the Snopes article says no such thing, and the quoted word "probably" doesn't appear anywhere in it.

Last edited: