5 Reasons the Scariest Thing Ever Written Is a Kids' Book

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-scariest-thing-ever-written-kids-book/

this article is about one of my favorite book series when i was growing up, Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. those books are pretty much the reason why today i'm such a big fan of Steven King & H.P. Lovecraft.

this picture scared the shit out of me when i was younger, i would skip the page with this picture on it.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom

That pic makes me want to go watch that Ring video.

(wait the one with the video was the ring right? i get them mixed up anymore.)

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I remember buying these books from the school book-magazine thing.
You'd get this like 5 page pamphlet, circle the shit you want and get Mom and Dad to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure I owned all "Goosebumps" and whatever the other RL Stine franchise was at one point

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I remember buying these books from the school book-magazine thing.
You'd get this like 5 page pamphlet, circle the shit you want and get Mom and Dad to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure I owned all "Goosebumps" and whatever the other RL Stine franchise was at one point
I think that was called the Scholastic Book Club, or something like that. Getting that stack of books after waiting for a week or whatever was awesome.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I think that was called the Scholastic Book Club, or something like that. Getting that stack of books after waiting for a week or whatever was awesome.
Yeah, that's it...
I used to just order shit to be ordering it. I think my parents gave me like $25 a month for it. I'd read most the stuff, but it was fun to get stuff delivered to you at school

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
We had Reading Is Fundamental. Department of Education workers would bring in boxes of books, set them up so we could pick them out like that hollywood luxury lounge in the Sopranos episode with Ben Kingsley playing himself.

Holy shit those books were terrible. Free, but it showed.

Comparing it to a real bookstore would be like comparing opie's mofo's site to wikipedia.com.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I vaguely recall that we had such a program, but we were poor mofo's and didn't get to partake very often. :(

I did, and to this day still do, have a great love of the written word due to stuff like that as a kid. I recall I was perhaps 7 years old, and an aunt of mine one Christmas gifted me a small white bookcase filled with Hardy Boys novels. I was in heaven.

I was at the same Aunts house a few weeks ago; lo and behold, she still actually has my little bookcase. I hope to "reacquire" it some day for any potential offspring I may manage to crank out.

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-scariest-thing-ever-written-kids-book/

this article is about one of my favorite book series when i was growing up, Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. those books are pretty much the reason why today i'm such a big fan of Steven King & H.P. Lovecraft.

this picture scared the shit out of me when i was younger, i would skip the page with this picture on it.
I read all these books when i was a kid, enjoyed them even with the nightmares

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think that was called the Scholastic Book Club
We had that at my school. I ordered a Titanic model/toy that breaks in two and sinks from their catalog once. (You read that correctly and it wasn't a joke. I still have that model.)

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
We had that at my school. I ordered a Titanic model/toy that breaks in two and sinks from their catalog once. (You read that correctly and it wasn't a joke. I still have that model.)
A) I had no idea they sold models.

B) That's a pretty twisted model to market to kids. What's the updated version, two side by side buildings that you throw model planes at until they fall down?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
A) I had no idea they sold models.

B) That's a pretty twisted model to market to kids. What's the updated version, two side by side buildings that you throw model planes at until they fall down?
I found a video of the Titanic model sinking.

Last edited:

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I'd pay fifty dollars for one!
I'll make some calls and see if I can sell that concept to some toy manufacturing plants.

I found a video of the Titanic model sinking.

Can't say I wouldn't have wanted that as a kid... how much did it cost you?

It would have been better if it had a ton of little model people spill out of it when the hull broke.