OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

61-year-old disabled man dies after being tazed by police on his bicycle

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57330721/n.c-probes-death-of-bicyclist-tased-by-police/

2. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

i'm typically the first person to say "fuck him, he deserved it!" but this is truly a tragedy surrounded by unfortunate circumstance.

3. kloraferm

kloraferm Humor is reason gone mad

That really sucks!

4. Party Rooster

Well, there is this part of the story...;)

5. JonBenetRamsey

he is an old young person, so i guess he did have it coming

6. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

Hmmm, given the scenario that was reported I'm trying to figure out what I would have done.

1. Attempted to knock him off the bike, which could result in him falling and hitting his head or other injuries.
    2. Only follow him until he either got tired or got to where he was trying to go, but what if the report of him being drunk is true and he doesn't stop for a light or stop sign and ends up getting hit by a car, causing him to hit his head or other injuries....now people will ask why I didn't get him stopped sooner and I would be accused of being lazy.
    3. Get close enough to pepper spray him, but blinded he could fall off his bike hitting his head or causing other injuries.
    4. Tazer.........blah blah blah.
    5. Use my mind reading skills to realize that he was hard of hearing, subject to seizures and that was only a piece of delicious bubble gum he had put in his mouth, and let him go.

Not so easy to choose is it? Oh, and fuck the mayor of that town. Encourage the family to sue the city, good job asshole. I hope they do and your paycheck bounces.

7. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Or get in front of him.

it's not hard to remove someone from a bike, especially if they're drunk. You could probably just grab the handle bars without issue.

If you push someone off at least they'll have the ability to try and catch themselves better than if their muscles are forcefully constricted.

8. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Pull in front of and have vehicle force a stop. Full lights and sirens, too.

9. JonBenetRamsey

if the guy was drunk, a tumble off his bike may not have been so bad. barring a head injury. remember, drunk drivers walk away from accidents because they don't tense up.

10. Motor Head

Pulling in front of somebody is a bit scary, mainly because if they have a weapon you could end up taking fire from behind. I'd likely pulled up next to him and gave him a little shot of pepper spray, but shot it out in front of him so he would have the mist came back into his face. He would have made a more controlled stop. Using the tazer would have been pretty much my last choice.

Oh dammit, I'm being the Monday morning quarterback, much like the general public and the media.

11. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

You should call in reinforcements from the county over to set up a roadblock. Maybe deploy a spike trip or two.

12. d0uche_n0zzle

Pop him in the chest with a bean bag round. That'll learn him to listen better.

13. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

Yeah, but you at least know what the fuck you're talking about

14. bill333

bill333 Go Screw!

At least he died, doing what he loved

15. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

I don't use tasers... But doesn't the target have to be pretty close and stationary to get a good shot? And even then there is a chance of missing with one of the prongs right?

16. PDX909

PDX909 Registered User

Where in the story did it say that he'd actually broken the law? What probable cause did the officer have for tazing the old fart. It's a fucking shame but unless there's something not being reported here the officer really fucked up.

17. Party Rooster

Not if he was deaf.

18. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

How do we know the first fall from the bike, the one that made them call the police in the first place, didn't cause his death.

Old timer tip.. sometimes it pays to take a slow ride over and the situation handles itself. "central.. drunk male must have rode away. 90z (gone on arrival). What's next?"

19. d0uche_n0zzle

Ta fucking da.

20. Motor Head

It's against the law to ride a bike while intoxicated.

Yeah, Kid, a slow roll would have been the best response to this. The Omaha PD put out a call to any available officer during the busiest part of the night, about a black woman approx. 300 lbs, nude and covered with feces. Every cop in town instantly did a traffic stop or had radio problems. I hit the gas and moved out of my patrol area because I needed to discuss a pending case with a deputy in the next county over. Would you want to deal with some ranting, shit covered fatso?

21. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

I'd be all over that call. A 300 pound black woman covered in feces? Getting tazed? And pictures to boot? Well that's a story for the dinner table. You just don't see that much anymore..

Besides, once that's done, can't see a Sgt denying you lost time (paid time off you have accrued) because you're covered with crazy woman shit and have no other uniform to change into..

22. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

At absolute worst case scenario this guy was riding a bike while drunk and he lost his life for it. That should make every American stop and think for a minute. When you get killed because someone is trying to protect you from yourself, shit has gone too far.

23. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

What's gone too far exactly?

24. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Killing a person and being justified in doing so because you were trying to "protect him from himself". Drunks on bikes don't kill anyone but themselves, but they can raise a lot of money for the county.

25. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

You gotta stop and talk to the police when they tell you to