72 Members Of House Of Representatives Oppose The Merger!

richwithhatred

Hater Of You!!!
Jul 25, 2005
342
11
278
Hell, OH
#1
Apparently, the government is telling Mel Karmazin to go fuck himself and his commercial/car-tv company!!

http://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=425385

A letter signed by 72 members of the House of Representatives has been sent to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, and Federal Trade Commission Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras opposing the proposed satellite radio merger.

The letter was authored by Reps. Gene Green (D-TX) and Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) and signed by 47 Democrats (including Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich) and 25 Republicans. In the letter, the House members state that, "On its face, we believe that sanctioning the marriage of the only competitors in the satellite radio market would create a monopoly which would be devastating to consumers." They add that "there is scant evidence that a merger would produce any cost savings that a combined Sirius/XM potentially might pass on to subscribers. Both companies are locked into numerous long-term expensive arrangements with their most prized talent and programming. In addition, Sirius and XM would face protracted obstacles to combining their platforms because they use different radio encoding technologies."

The letter concludes by urging the DOJ, FCC and FTC "to protect consumers, and protect competition, by denying this merger."

Just last week, House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) and House Judiciary Antitrust Task Force Ranking Member Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH) sent a letter to Martin and Gonzalez questioning the proposed merger.
 

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
16,959
2,196
608
#4
looks like there are 72 wackbaggers who just troll the board and not post.
 

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
Apr 25, 2005
1,536
1
273
#9
WTF I did not see any from PA.

Time to pick up the phone.
 

vcdburn

Jimmy's shaved sack
Jun 11, 2005
464
13
278
#10
We need to order 72 Pest shirts for them. All kidding aside, that is really encouraging.
Im not a math wiz, but There are in 535 Members of Congress. Congress is split into two branches, the House of Representatives and the Senate. There are 435 Representatives in the House (called Congressmen or Congresswomen) and 100 Senators in the Senate.

72 - 535 = not even close....
 

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
10,594
2,574
566
KC Metro
#11
Dennis Kucinich just makes me laugh. Democrats in general do, really.

But I'll accept their support of merger defeat. I even went so far as to send Herb Kohl a letter back in January, and he seems to be leading the charge. Gotta love them for being consistently anti-business, espicially when it works to your advantage.
 

Bill

Registered User
Aug 11, 2004
2,253
0
261
Huntington Station
#12
Im not a math wiz, but There are in 535 Members of Congress. Congress is split into two branches, the House of Representatives and the Senate. There are 435 Representatives in the House (called Congressmen or Congresswomen) and 100 Senators in the Senate.

72 - 535 = not even close....
However, this is not a normal thing in Congress. It's not a vote where everyone is supposed to vote yes or no. It's a matter of 72 Congressmen feeling strongly enough about something that they have taken measures to actively oppose something that they haven't even been asked about.

So it's not a matter of 83% of the House being in favor of the merger and 17% being opposed to it. It's a matter of 17% being so opposed to it that they are pro-actively doing something about it. All we know about the other 83% is that they didn't sign the letter. We have no idea what their position is.
 

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
15,240
4,686
693
South Jersey
#13
I'm sure glad my NJ representatives are listening attentively. What a bunch of fuckwads.
 

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
34,674
2,022
458
Northern VA
#14
However, this is not a normal thing in Congress. It's not a vote where everyone is supposed to vote yes or no. It's a matter of 72 Congressmen feeling strongly enough about something that they have taken measures to actively oppose something that they haven't even been asked about.

So it's not a matter of 83% of the House being in favor of the merger and 17% being opposed to it. It's a matter of 17% being so opposed to it that they are pro-actively doing something about it. All we know about the other 83% is that they didn't sign the letter. We have no idea what their position is.
Also, I haven't seen any word on whether any of these Congressmen are on the committee that will be either recommending the merger or not recommending. If any of them are that is far better than it would appear from the outside.
 

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
25,696
374
663
Long Island
#15
Eh, nothing a little campaign contribution couldn't fix. They are mostly all for sale.
 
Nov 29, 2006
3,452
374
523
FL
#20
Who, besides the brass at XM and Sirius, is behind this deal? Does it really have a chance in hell?
 

Shitdeek

Registered User
Dec 9, 2004
339
0
0
#22
However, this is not a normal thing in Congress. It's not a vote where everyone is supposed to vote yes or no. It's a matter of 72 Congressmen feeling strongly enough about something that they have taken measures to actively oppose something that they haven't even been asked about.

So it's not a matter of 83% of the House being in favor of the merger and 17% being opposed to it. It's a matter of 17% being so opposed to it that they are pro-actively doing something about it. All we know about the other 83% is that they didn't sign the letter. We have no idea what their position is.
Agreed, but then arent we to assume that if that 83% actually cared enough or felt so strong against the merger that they would have signed the letter? im not saying the entire 83% is for the merger, but its not an encouraging number at all.