85 mph! Texas to open toll highway with fastest speed limit in nation

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...st-speed-limit-in-nation#.UIevhsjHuas.twitter

The claim that "everything is bigger in Texas" will likely gain further credence later this year, when the speed limit on a stretch of toll road between Austin and San Antonio hits 85 miles per hour — the highest limit in the country.
Constructions crews on Wednesday began posting 85-mph speed limit signs along a pending section of toll road on Texas' State Highway 130. This 41-mile stretch of highway, which will open for traffic by Nov. 11, is on the east side of Austin and heads southwest toward San Antonio.
Chris Lippincott, an official with the State Highway 130 Concession Co., said that the Texas Department of Transportation has determined that this area is safe to travel at 85 mph.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Isn't DOT (Federal) going to have a shit fit and threaten to pull funding etc?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Just remember back in the day when the speed limit was like 55... and if a state wanted a faster speed they DOT would threaten to pull funding.

Does Texas due minimum speed limits as well?

Edit they do...

Minimum speed sign in Texas

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Just remember back in the day when the speed limit was like 55... and if a state wanted a faster speed they DOT would threaten to pull funding.

That went away in the 1990's. The Feds are now more interested in tying funding to things like seatbelt laws and DUI enforcement.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
That went away in the 1990's. The Feds are now more interested in tying funding to things like seatbelt laws and DUI enforcement.
Ya before I moved here... hadn't driven in the US prob since the mid 90's and that 55 limit sucked a bag of dicks.

And I guess the Feds paid for that seat belt stop that was up the road from me a few months ago...

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
An 85 MPH speed limit is a little crazy simply because most people will be driving 90-95 MPH. 80-85 MPH are pretty common speeds here in California on I-5, where the speed limit is 70 MPH in most places.

Isn't federal highway funding the only reason our minimum drinking age is 21 instead of 18?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
This should end well.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Nice. Now you'll barely have to break the law to get your time machine up to speed.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
MADD has also strong armed congress into setting increasingly lower BAC levels for DUI. .05 is coming soon.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
MADD has also strong armed congress into setting increasingly lower BAC levels for DUI. .05 is coming soon.
I mentioned this before... in Ontario they have graduated licensing... and if you are at the lowest rung you cannot have any alcohol in your system regardless of your age. And you can't drive between midnight and 5 AM or drive on the 400 series highways (the big ones).

That would have screwed me as I used to deliver pizzas when I was a teenager... as the store was open to like 2 am on Friday and Saturday.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
.05 is fucking ridiculously low, but I'm sure police agencies will support the move (more revenue).

I mentioned this before... in Ontario they have graduated licensing... and if you are at the lowest rung you cannot have any alcohol in your system regardless of your age. And you can't drive between midnight and 5 AM or drive on the 400 series highways (the big ones).

That would have screwed me as I used to deliver pizzas when I was a teenager... as the store was open to like 2 am on Friday and Saturday.
When I got my license at 16, we had similar laws. You couldn't drive kids around at all, or drive after midnight for six months. The second six months you couldn't drive kids around after midnight, or something along those lines. I think the law is even harsher now. Of course that's not as bad as Ontario because those laws didn't apply to adults.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
.05 is fucking ridiculously low, but I'm sure police agencies will support the move (more revenue).
Pretty easy to avoid the sobriety checks around here... as they either set it up by the beaches or the spur road to the interstate. And most of the people arrested are tourists.

Starting to get the influx of leafers now... yaaaaaay... meh.

Got stuck behind someone from CT on Route 1 doing 30 in a 50 zone... and of course no passing allowed.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Pretty easy to avoid the sobriety checks around here... as they either set it up by the beaches or the spur road to the interstate. And most of the people arrested are tourists.

Starting to get the influx of leafers now... yaaaaaay... meh.

Got stuck behind someone from CT on Route 1 doing 30 in a 50 zone... and of course no passing allowed.
DUI checkpoints are easy to avoid... they have to notify you ahead of time and give you plenty of warning. You can even call the police station and ask the exact location of them and they have to tell you.

However, lately they've been doing "rolling enforcement" (or whatever it's called) to get around that. Basically they put every cop they have on the streets and stop people for essentially no reason.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well driving through Reading MA I asked my chick why was there a sobriety check point in front of this restaurant... my chick replied I bet they refused service to one of the cop's wife or something.

Well again they do up enforcement up when the tourists are here... wonder what they all do during the dead of winter.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
NJ has a graduated license now.
When I turned 17 I didnt hit any cones, parallel parked my car, and walked out of the Rahway DMV with my purty picture on my brandy new license. Almost got rear ended getting onto a highway with 3 of my friends in the car but thats besides the point.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
17 wtf... I got mine a day after my 16th birthday...

They have three tiers of license in Ontario...

Class G1

New drivers of passenger vehicles learn to drive with six important conditions with a G1 licence. A new driver must hold a G1 licence for a minimum of 12 months before attempting the G1 road test. This time can be reduced to eight months if you successfully complete a Ministry-approved Beginner Driver Education Course . Drivers earn more privileges after passing their G1 road test.
As a G1 driver, you are required to:
  • maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;
  • be accompanied by a fully licensed driver, who has at least four years driving experience, and a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (accompanying drivers 21 and under must have zero per cent), in case he/she needs to take over the wheel;
  • ensure the accompanying driver is the only other person in the front seat;
  • ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts;
  • refrain from driving on Ontario's "400-series" highways or on high speed expressways such as the Queen Elizabeth Way, Don Valley Parkway, Gardiner Expressway, E.C. Row Expressway and the Conestoga Parkway;
  • refrain from driving between midnight and 5:00 a.m.
Note:If your accompanying driver is a driving instructor licensed in Ontario, you may drive on any road.

Class G2

New drivers must hold a G2 licence for a minimum of 12 months before they can attempt the G2 road test. At this level, you have more privileges because of your driving experience. You may drive without an accompanying driver on all Ontario roads anytime. However, you are still required to:
  • maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;
  • ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts.
  • For the first six months, G2 driver aged 19 and under cannot carry more than one passenger aged 19 and under between midnight and 5 a.m.
  • After the first six months, G2 driver aged 19 and under cannot carry more than three passengers aged 19 and under between midnight and 5 a.m. * These passenger restrictions do not apply if the G2 driver is accompanied by a full "G" licensed driver (with at least four years driving experience) in the front seat, or if the passengers are immediate family members.
Our Graduated Licensing System has been a resounding success in reducing death and injury among novice drivers. Ontario research shows that new teenage drivers are almost three times more likely to be involved in a fatal or serious collision when they are carrying teenage passengers. In fact, research shows the more teenage passengers, the higher the risk.
Thirty-one jurisdictions in Canada and the U.S. have some form of teenage passenger restrictions in effect.

Then you get your regular one... I guess the G1 is really a learners permit like they used to have. Note the drinking age in Ontario is 19... and 18 in Quebec.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i miss the old montana days of "save and prudent" speed limit