A coffee question???

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
Maybe one of you guys will know this. Noone I've asked does. Why is it that coffee makers can call 9 to 12 ounces a pound? Any other type of food is strictly regulated. If the deli tried to pass off 10 ounces as a pound, the fines are real heavy. :huh:

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
I don't have a clue, but support NashvilleCoffee.com.
Okay, I bring nothing to the table...

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
Standard Deviation, Probability Distribution, Continuous Random Variables, etc...It's statistics mannnnnn...The man screws you with simple statistics.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
Maybe one of you guys will know this. Noone I've asked does. Why is it that coffee makers can call 9 to 12 ounces a pound? Any other type of food is strictly regulated. If the deli tried to pass off 10 ounces as a pound, the fines are real heavy. :huh:

maybe its like a 1/4er burger pre cooked.. pre ground

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I think its because of the way it used to be and people are used to buying a one pound can,three pound ect. the three pound can is really light nowadays

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I only go to the old guy with wirerim glasses and those 17th century sea-traveller kegs of coffee beans. More expensive but definitely worth it and you get the actual weight.

And burger go also becomes grease.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Who knew.. I didn't think it would keep for four years, let alone four hundred.
Good to know.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Who knew.. I didn't think it would keep for four years, let alone four hundred.
The beans are fresh, the containers are old timey. This isn't the fucking coffee Peter Stuyvesant drank.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
I know.. I crashed, went and got a rental, then crashed into my first crash again.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
who calls 9 oz a pound?
Nobody that I ever observed.
I can't believe there are containers labeled a pound that are lighter.

Possibly the original poster is annoyed because there was a time where one pound containers were more standard than today, now some are a pound, and some are 12 or 14 oz among other sizes.
I think they are all labeled properly, unless I'm missing something.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
who calls 9 oz a pound?
a sparkling wiggle that i bought weed off of once, as for the coffee weight i would have to say that either your getting ripped off or, the coffee weighs one thing when packaged, then they add desiccant to it, and then when it drys it weighs less..... and i thought that 16oz was a pound

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Yeah, this was deceptive, but not illegal as long as they are not marking it as a "pound". Consumers are more sensitive to price changes than quantity/packing changes. As coffee bean prices shot up, rather than raise prices and possibly lose customers to cheaper brands, the manufacturers took the chance that since the packing was essentially the same, the regular customers would never closely read the package and notice that what had once been 16oz was now 13oz or less.

Basically, if I'm used to paying $1 for something, I'm more likely to notice a change if I'm now paying $1.50 than if I'm still paying a dollar but getting less in the package.