A Game of Thrones - HBO Series

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Emmys: 'Game of Thrones' Wins 9 Awards Overall
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-game-thrones-wins-9-awards-1143518

HBO's fantasy series Game of Thrones logged yet another big showing at this year's Emmy Awards.

Thrones, based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novel series and starring a litany of actors including Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington, walked away with nine victories under its belt out of a total of 22 nominations for its seventh season. (Thrones also holds the record for most Emmys earned for a series in a year for both 2015 and 2016.)

The show was named best drama series on Monday night. In the acting categories, Dinklage earned his third supporting actor trophy for his work as Tyrion Lannister. His onscreen sister, played by Lena Headey, also was nominated for best supporting actress in a drama series. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who plays the third Lannister sibling, Jaime, was also nominated in the supporting actor category, but lost out to Dinklage.

One week earlier, the drama from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss earned seven Creative Arts Emmy Awards, with wins in the following categories: outstanding fantasy/sci-fi costumes; outstanding production design for a narrative period or fantasy program (one hour or more); outstanding prosthetic makeup for a series, miniseries, movie or a special; outstanding music composition for a series (original dramatic score); outstanding sound mixing for a comedy or drama series (one hour); outstanding special visual effects; and outstanding stunt coordination for a drama series, limited series or movie.

Game of Thrones was ineligible for last year's Emmys due to its seventh season's July 2017 premiere. The show will find itself in the Emmys equation once more following the launch of its eighth and final season, expected to arrive in the first half of 2019. Could another big Emmy showing be in the offing? After all, if there's any season more reliable to the Westeros faithful than winter, it's awards season.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Episode length news:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/23/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-lengths-reportedly-leaked/
https://observer.com/2019/01/game-of-thrones-season-8-runtime-budget-salary-info/

I still think it's a bad idea to truncate episode numbers by extending some. At least not if they will continue on a weekly basis. I actually think I might ration myself via the pause button.
I would think/hope it's more about finding the logical stopping point for each episode and/or making sure that the scenes within each episode have all the content required to flesh out the story and characters.

I'm not sure it's the money saving move you think it is. The main cast's $300k per episode salary was increased to $500k for the final two shortened seasons. That's actually a net raise for them.

Radioguy

I would think/hope it's more about finding the logical stopping point for each episode and/or making sure that the scenes within each episode have all the content required to flesh out the story and characters.

I'm not sure it's the money saving move you think it is. The main cast's $300k per episode salary was increased to $500k for the final two shortened seasons. That's actually a net raise for them.
It's less money in my mind, than the idea of delayed gratification being more profitable for them and licensees.

They have a property that's easily exploitable financially, and are reducing the time it's on the air by this. Folks buy more related crap when a series is active (look at the dismal merch landscape for Dr Who when it's not on) as well as even the books too.

Here it seems they are almost influenced by binge watchers in getting so much of the content to us so quickly. I think it's a bad move when you consider the bottom line.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Welp I started rewatching the whole series again. Should be caught up when the new season drops.

Radioguy

I binged the whole thing recently too. Made me appreciate the casting so much all over again. SO many grew into their roles so well.

I'm in the middle of season 5. So much nuance I missed the first time, and a couple of entire events I totally forgot, such as Stannis marching on the wall, and Jon Snow recruiting the Wildlings. I guess I was focused on the Lannister and Daenerys BS the first time around.

Radioguy

I'm in the middle of season 5. So much nuance I missed the first time, and a couple of entire events I totally forgot, such as Stannis marching on the wall, and Jon Snow recruiting the Wildlings. I guess I was focused on the Lannister and Daenerys BS the first time around.
The actor playing Stannis regretted accepting the role, and didn't get the show. In hindsight, I think it shows, but even when watching the first time I thought he didn't embrace the role. He was in it for the paycheck.

Jon recruiting the wildlings via Mance Rayder was a bit rushed. He was just elected Lord Cmndr. and even that was fast. It was a weak point in getting Jon where he needed to be. It's not hard to forget that storyline, much to the cost of Ciarán Hinds.

Radioguy

A waste of a good actor
Jim Broadbent is getting more screentime, but he seems a little bit wasted too. I think he could have played someone with a bit more depth. Tim McInnerny was given something a bit more juicy, but less screentime than I'd hoped.

Some (posed) pictures taken during season 8 filming:

Maybe a spoiler question about one of the pictures

Was Tyrion named the Hand in Season 7 or is that a spoiler for Season 8?

Radioguy

Maybe a spoiler question about one of the pictures

Was Tyrion named the Hand in Season 7 or is that a spoiler for Season 8?
Actually...

It was season six, and he's not Cersei's hand

Also regarding the pix...

It's clear Tyrion and Varys are shown in Winterfell in the photos.

Actually...

It was season six, and he's not Cersei's hand

Also regarding the pix...

It's clear Tyrion and Varys are shown in Winterfell in the photos.

I knew who's Hand he probably belonged to, just didn't recall that particular moment.

Yes if you start NOW and watch 1 per day and 2x up for an episode you can finish the series right when I premieres...I think I have to do it again...It's epically rewatchable...sooo great. I watched it through for season 4 and then again for 7 last year...you see new things every time and pick up on things you miss..

domelogic

Jim Broadbent is getting more screentime, but he seems a little bit wasted too. I think he could have played someone with a bit more depth. Tim McInnerny was given something a bit more juicy, but less screentime than I'd hoped.

Some (posed) pictures taken during season 8 filming:

Vary’s still trying to find what’s not there it seems. Seeing his pic makes me want to see this now.

Mayr, he was once they returned to this side of the ocean. Seems so long ago but not as long as it has been for the next damn book, right fatty

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
What's Littlefinger up to?

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Yes if you start NOW and watch 1 per day and 2x up for an episode you can finish the series right when I premieres...I think I have to do it again...It's epically rewatchable...sooo great. I watched it through for season 4 and then again for 7 last year...you see new things every time and pick up on things you miss..
I’m doing it. It’s 62 episodes.

I’m doing it. It’s 62 episodes.
Just watched the first episode again...it's amazing that nearly EVERY scene foreshadows something to come...If I were watching it with someone who has never seen it I think I would go crazy if they weren't paying complete attention "Wait, pay attention here...it's important..." over and over and over....

Just watched the first episode again...it's amazing that nearly EVERY scene foreshadows something to come...If I were watching it with someone who has never seen it I think I would go crazy if they weren't paying complete attention "Wait, pay attention here...it's important..." over and over and over....
Exactly...common themes and threads throughout. One thing leads to another. You gloss over a lot watching it the first time that only makes sense when you give it a rewatch.