A possible Team USA Olympic hockey roster

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...dID=10660&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Here’s the 23 players (13 forwards, seven defensemen, three goalies) I would hypothetically choose based on what we’ve seen since Vancouver:

Forwards
(C) Zach Parise (NJ)
(A) Ryan Callahan (NYR)
(A) Dustin Brown (LA)
(A) David Backes (STL)
Bobby Ryan (ANA)
Paul Statsny (COL)
Phil Kessel (TOR)
Ryan Kesler (VAN)
Joe Pavelski (SJ)
Jason Pominville (BUF)
Blake Wheeler (WPG)
Max Pacioretty (MTL)
Erik Cole (MTL)

Nine of the 13 forwards were on the 2010 team. Pacioretty was fantastic at the most recent World Championships, leading the U.S. in scoring. Wheeler had a breakout season for the Jets and I opted for Erik Cole over Tampa Bay’s Ryan Malone. Cole was a member of the U.S. squad in Torino, Italy, but I like his size, speed and versatility, even though he’ll be 34 when the Winter Olympics start. St. Louis’s T.J. Oshie will be one to watch as well.

Defense
(A) Ryan Suter (NSH)
Keith Yandle (PHX)
Ryan McDonagh (NYR)
Brooks Orpik (PIT)
Alex Goligoski (DAL)
John Carlson (WSH)
Jack Johnson (CBJ)

Whoever has the final decision will have a tough time coming up with this group. Suter and Yandle are shoe-ins, and I was impressed with McDonagh’s play in the postseason. There are so many good, young players not on this list. I really think Anaheim’s Cam Fowler will have a good shot. Colorado’s Erik Johnson, who had a very good Olympic Games in 2010, has to be considered. Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien, Carolina’s Justin Faulk and Tim Gleason and St. Louis’s Kevin Shattenkirk will also be in the discussion and could easily play their way onto the team.

Goaltenders
Jonathan Quick (LA)
Ryan Miller (BUF)
Jimmy Howard (DET)