A Question for Gun Owners

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
If you get pulled over by the cops (like regular speeding, seat belts, nothing crazy), is there a protocol to let them know up front that you're carrying (legally, assuming)? You know, so if they happen to notice you're armed they don't immediately ask you to assume the position (while still exercising caution of course)?

I'm also guessing this might be different depending on what state you're in, and how prevalent guns are there; like New York as compared to Texas or Arizona.

Just wondering.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
If you get pulled over by the cops (like regular speeding, seat belts, nothing crazy), is there a protocol to let them know up front that you're carrying (legally, assuming)? You know, so if they happen to notice you're armed they don't immediately ask you to assume the position (while still exercising caution of course)?

I'm also guessing this might be different depending on what state you're in, and how prevalent guns are there; like New York as compared to Texas or Arizona.

Just wondering.
It does differ by state, but I'm pretty sure in California you're expected to notify the cop as soon as the conversation is initiated, by telling them what and where you're carrying. Ex. "Officer, I'd like you to know that I am legally carrying a concealed 1911 on my right hip".

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas

Just wondering.
In Texas, protocol is to give your drivers license as well as your CHL and inform at the same time that you are carrying a concealed weapon in your vehicle. If they ask where it is, let them know.

Source: Cop friends (in Texas) who have told me that in a various ways. By various ways, I mean some prefer to have the person being pulled over to hand them the CHL and tell them that they are carrying, others will be told that the person is carrying and will ask for their CHL.

However in Texas, you don't need to have a CHL to be carrying in your vehicle since your vehicle is considered an extension of your home under the Castle Doctrine. Once you leave the vehicle with it and you're not on your property or heading to a firing range, you obviously need to have it on you.

I would give states who have similar gun laws the same answer but you'd really have to verify that with someone who lives there and experienced it. New York, California or other strict gun law states, I wouldn't even have it within arms reach and still would let the PO know that it's in the car (preferably the trunk or locked glove box).

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
It does differ by state, but I'm pretty sure in California you're expected to notify the cop as soon as the conversation is initiated, by telling them what and where you're carrying. Ex. "Officer, I'd like you to know that I am legally carrying a concealed 1911 on my right hip".
I was watching Alaska State troopers... and the guy found a pistol in the car and said "you know you have to advise me if you have a firearm concealed in or around your person"... fyi the person being pulled over was a savage...

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.

Just wondering.
You are required by law to immediately inform the officer that has stopped you that you are carrying a legally concealed weapon. Let him introduce himself, inform him that you are legally carrying then follow his instructions. Common sense - DO NOT REACH FOR THE WEAPON OR YOUR WALLET UNTIL HE HAS ACKNOWLEDGED THAT YOU ARE CARRYING. I recommend keeping both hands on the wheel at the 10 and 11 o'clock position and not removing them until the officer gives you instruction. That last thing you want is a stupid Nervous Nelly rookie or Barney Fife drilling you.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Umm how about a fed badge slip gimmick... that my chick would never do... feh...

Certain agencies tend to umm perk up when they see that gold badge for some reason... and she would never leave her raid jacket on the front seat... when she forgot to put her DL in her wallet...

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
You are required by law to immediately inform the officer that has stopped you that you are carrying a legally concealed weapon. Let him introduce himself, inform him that you are legally carrying then follow his instructions. Common sense - DO NOT REACH FOR THE WEAPON OR YOUR WALLET UNTIL HE HAS ACKNOWLEDGED THAT YOU ARE CARRYING. I recommend keeping both hands on the wheel at the 10 and 11 o'clock position and not removing them until the officer gives you instruction. That last thing you want is a stupid Nervous Nelly rookie or Barney Fife drilling you.
You would think that's common sense these days.....

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Text book. This is spot on for what I want to hear when I stop somebody carrying. Bonus points if you keep your hands on the wheel while saying it.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Text book. This is spot on for what I want to hear when I stop somebody carrying. Bonus points if you keep your hands on the wheel while saying it.
So reaching around in the center console with the dome light off would be bad form? :)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah, I've talked to cops friends around here about it, and more than one have said it's really a good idea to insert the word "legally" into your statement. They will still verify that you have a CCW, but it puts them more an ease than someone who says "yo man I got a gun in my back pocket". My grandfather is pretty old and gets flustered when he's trying to explain something, so he uses hand motions while he's thinking. He got pulled over while I was riding with him and he kinda stuttered for a second and then said "I got a pistol..." while patting the spot outside his jacket where he kept it. The CHP definitely flinched a little bit, but to his credit he knew there wasn't a threat and asked politely to see his CCW.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
in kommifornia, each county is different

I just took a CCW class and the county I am in does not require you to inform the officer

but here each county's permit will have it on the permit whether or not you have to

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

I'd also mention to open the glove box and arm rest, get your documentation out, and if its night turn on the lights inside the car

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I always thought it best to tell the officer even if you're not required. Better to get it out of the way than it come up later.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Not all states require notification - FL being one of them.

Hands on wheel, fingers straight and spread out. When asked for DL, insurance, etc. I have a pull away section of my wallet that has my DL, insurance card, and my CWL all right there. If the cop asks, I will happily inform them.

In NC (a must notify state), it's "Sir, I'm carrying a concealed handgun. My drivers license and concealed carry license are in my wallet, which is in my left rear pocket." and don't move until told to do so.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
as others have mentioned, it does vary by state.
I'd also mention to open the glove box and arm rest, get your documentation out, and if its night turn on the lights inside the car
yup!
Not all states require notification - FL being one of them.

Hands on wheel, fingers straight and spread out. When asked for DL, insurance, etc. I have a pull away section of my wallet that has my DL, insurance card, and my CWL all right there. If the cop asks, I will happily inform them.

In NC (a must notify state), it's "Sir, I'm carrying a concealed handgun. My drivers license and concealed carry license are in my wallet, which is in my left rear pocket." and don't move until told to do so.
yup again
Each state has a different law/protocall. Ohio is a must inform state.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click that link and then click your state to find out its laws on informing an officer.
definitely a good resource. Have used it several times when about to travel.

I treat all traffic stops the same way regardless of if i am carrying or not.

1. ALL windows down
2. If it is dark, interior lights on
3. hands on wheel, 10 and 2 with fingers extended and spread, but also a bit relaxed.
4. when asked for registration, I inform the officer that I need to remove my seatbelt and grab my wallet out of my right rear pocket... wait for his acknowledgment.. When pulling it out, I hold the wallet with thumb and index finger with the others extended
5. After I hand him the licence, I inform him that I need to open the glove box for my registration... wait for his acknowledgement again.... then drop the glove box, but pause for a second with it opened so he can see what's inside before reaching in.

I am not required to inform the officer in PA, but if there is any chance of him seeing it, I will inform him beforehand. This would come into play if: the gun was in plain sight, in the glove box, in a iwb holster where I am unsure if it would be visible while reaching for the glove box, or if I am asked to step outside the vehicle for any reason. In that case, I would make sure my hands are on the wheel and say something to the effect of "before proceeding, I would like to inform you that I am legally carrying a loaded firearm. It is located (where ever it is). How would you like me to proceed?"

I have been through a traffic stop with my tiny little kel-tec on me. It was in a pocket holster and in the lower pocket of a pair of cargo shorts. Because there was no chance of him seeing it, and he didn't ask me to step out of the vehicle, I didn't inform him.

On the other hand, I was stopped at 3am entering the town of Seward, Alaska because I forgot to dim my high beams when coming up on a officer. I had just entered the town after driving for 2 hours through the wilderness with ZERO lighting. The bright lights of the town made me forget to realize I had them on. He pulled me over to check for DUI. While we were chatting, he asked me if I had any weapons. I paused for a sec to think. "No firearms, but I do have my kershaw leek in my front left pocket" He did ask me several times about guns though. I guess it is pretty common up there. I mentioned that since I am 3000miles from home, I didn't feel like going through the issues of putting it in my checked luggage. He chuckled and told me that as soon as he gets word that y license is clean, he's going to send me on my way. That was about it.