A sign of support for your deployed son... That's a lawsuit.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Marine's parents sued over sign of support in their Bossier City front yard

A south Bossier City homeowners association has sued to force a family to remove a front yard sign supporting their son's military service because it violated subdivision covenants.
The Times reports that the Gardens of Southgate filed the suit this month against Timothy and Jodi Burr, who have lived in the subdivision since 2006. The Burrs placed a large multicolored banner with a picture of their 20-year-old son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Corey Burr, and the phrase "Our son defends our freedom" in January after Corey Burr was deployed to Afghanistan.
Jodi Burr says her family will fight the suit and do not intend to remove the sign.
An attorney representing the association, declined to comment.
The Burrs contend signs supporting a school or team are visible throughout the neighborhood.
http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2011/07/marines_parents_sued_over_sign.html

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Fucking HOAs are going to get their asses handed to them one of these days.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
I blame the family. They knew what they were getting into when they moved in. Don't want to deal with big fish/small pond HOA's? Don't move there. Fucking tards.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Fucking HOAs are going to get their asses handed to them one of these days.
That won't happen. There are plenty of idiots who need others to make their decision for them and/or think that living outside the parental arms of an HOA means living in a slum even though there are a hell of a lot more quiet neighborhoods in this country than HOA communities.

Oh, this thread again.
Here's one!

I do blame the the people for living there though too. You move to an HOA community knowing you give up any rights and control over your own house and property.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Yeah, if you don't want to deal with the nazi-ism of HOA then don't move into one...but thats not the issue here. The neighbors are flying sports team and school banners with nothin being said. These people have an argument if thats the case.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Meh. If the HOA enforced their policy equally, I'd think they are cunts, but would have no real issue with this. However, they aren't, and therefore should be spanked.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
I blame the family. They knew what they were getting into when they moved in. Don't want to deal with big fish/small pond HOA's? Don't move there. Fucking tards.
Pretty much this. If people have a banner hanging that is completely different than a sign in their yard. If they are to violate this rule if their hoa, then what next?! Seriously, it becomes a slippery slope.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Some people just can't live without being controlled. Looking at HOA's is like looking into the future of this country and the ever expanding government.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
You reap what you sow. Any one that buys into a hoa gets exaztly what they deserve

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
If it's enforced equally, with no one allowed 'Flare' type shit on their houses as it's a stepford mentality, then the Family with the Sign are fucking retarded.

If others have 'Flare' type shit all over, and the Family is being singled out, then good for them for fighting it.

They're still stone dumb for moving into a HOA community.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
a large multicolored banner with a picture of their 20-year-old son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Corey Burr, and the phrase "Our son defends our freedom"

Eww. That might be even tackier than the big front lawn animal balloons my parents' neighbor puts up for every holiday.

Like Chino said, if the HOA lets that slide, then what's next? A banner with a picture of Harold and Ethel's gynecologist son Elwood, and the phrase "Our son cleans your daughter's cunt"?

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Like Chino said, if the HOA lets that slide, then what's next? A banner with a picture of Harold and Ethel's gynecologist son Elwood, and the phrase "Our son cleans your daughter's cunt"?
They seem to have no problem letting all the people with sports signs slide. But of course sports signs aren't offensive. You gotta remember the type of people that choose to "purchase" a home under the strict control of an organization (govt) tend to be liberal.

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005
They seem to have no problem letting all the people with sports signs slide. But of course sports signs aren't offensive. You gotta remember the type of people that choose to "purchase" a home under the strict control of an organization (govt) tend to be liberal.
I think 'signs'us to vague of a word without seeing the neighborhood. If it's a banner hanging in the front porch, I'd say that's a bit different then a gaudy sign supporting their son. I'm all for supporting the troops but if you buy into a hoa you know why you are. It's not about controlling people it's about keeping the riff-raff out.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
You gotta remember the type of people that choose to "purchase" a home under the strict control of an organization (govt) tend to be liberal.
It's the south though, that's gotta count for something right? Could be anything. Maybe the board is made up of libs, maybe the parents are known for being loudmouth dicks, who knows.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
I think 'signs'us to vague of a word without seeing the neighborhood. If it's a banner hanging in the front porch, I'd say that's a bit different then a gaudy sign supporting their son. I'm all for supporting the troops but if you buy into a hoa you know why you are. It's not about controlling people it's about keeping the riff-raff out.
Idk. When I think of sports signs I think of stuff like the Phillies banners on those L shaped rods you see around here. And yes it is about controlling people and having everyone conform to one standard that is deemed best for everyone. You live how they want you to live. And for some people that is what they want. Someone to make their decisions for them.

I just can't fathom the idea of spending 200k plus on a house and then having to get permission to plant flowers or replace the front door.

Like I said before blame the the homeowner too. They moved into a community that restrict any rights or control you have concerning your own home and property and are now upset that they have no rights or control over their own home or property.

Chino Kapone

Jun 10, 2005
Idk. When I think of sports signs I think of stuff like the Phillies banners on those L shaped rods you see around here. And yes it is about controlling people and having everyone conform to one standard that is deemed best for everyone. You live how they want you to live. And for some people that is what they want. Someone to make their decisions for them.

I just can't fathom the idea of spending 200k plus on a house and then having to get permission to plant flowers or replace the front door.

Like I said before blame the the homeowner too. They moved into a community that restrict any rights or control you have concerning your own home and property and are now upset that they have no rights or control over their own home or property.
Yeah, I get your point. When I was a kid we had two neighbors that lived right next door to eachother get into a huge fight. So one of the neighbors put up a fence. They painted one side pink and baby shit green that was facing the neighbor they were pissed off at. Nothing they could do about it because it was on the other neighbors property.

I'm a community manager and sell homes now. So I have to sell the benefit of hoa's to people now. IMO they are good for people who like to feel secure that their property value won't go down because some a-hole neighbor wants to add an extra driveway or build a white trash carport.

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
a large multicolored banner with a picture of their 20-year-old son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Corey Burr, and the phrase "Our son defends our freedom"
Honestly, the first thing I thought when I read that was "that thing must be obnoxious and tacky."

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Who the hell is driving by that thinking "damn that tacky!" With the red brick house it blends well. And even I though it was going to be huge and loud before seeing the pic.

But thank god the HOA is there to demand its removal and save the property values.

This is without a doubt a case of liberal being offended by support of an evil military. The only offensive thing I see is that grass. Throw some fert and water on that!