OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

A sliver of hope? FCC asks for tons of paperwork about the merger

Discussion in 'General Discussion Archive' started by mascan42, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6497637.html?industryid=47170

FCC Seeks Raft of Info from XM, Sirius
    By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/5/2007 7:03:00 PM

There was talk Friday that the merger of XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio was poised to get the go-ahead from the Justice Department, and then perhaps from the Federal Communications Commission, as well.

If so, nobody told the FCC, which sent out letters Friday to the lawyers representing XM and Sirius seeking reams of "additional information and clarification" on everything from the talent contracts of Howard Stern and Steven Van Zandt to programming deals with everybody from the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing and the National Basketball Association, to CNN and Disney, to retailer agreements.​

But wait, there's more, much more.

According to copies of the letters obtained by B&C, the requests range from information on deals with programmers and retailers and car companies, to copies of al ofl the studies they submitted in support of the merger, complete with underlying data, as well as information on technical specifications, recievers and information about customer promotions and marketing.

Lawyers for both companies will be very busy.

The FCC also wants to know about the promised cost-savings of the combined company and how they would be in the public's interest, including "a full explanation as to why those cost savings would not be achieved absent the proposed transaction." It also wants explanations of the promised a la carte programming and evidence they companies can deliver.

Requests for more information are not unusual for an agency reviewing a merger proposal, but with a Nov. 16 deadline for receiving that information, and then the time needed to process what will have to be thousands of pages of information, the FCC doesn't look like it is ready to decide just yet.

If the commission rules within 30 days, though, it would still be within its self-imposed shot clock for merger reviews, but it has exceeded that deadline by hundreds of days before, so it is more of a guideline than a deadline.

2. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

For once, I'd like to thank the FCC.

3. pike

pike You will be molested

Hopefully this is meaningful but I don't have a lot of faith. It's probably just a smokescreen.. the DoJ did the same thing just recently.

4. wowbumperstickr

5. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

I'd love to see this, too. Every single fucking thing they've said will benefit the consumer after the merger is something they could do NOW without merging.

The heads of both companies have said they will survive without a merger, but it will take longer to reach profitability. This merger is for the shareholders and the bigwigs at the company. Not us.

6. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

Silvio Dante on Sirius? Well shit, bring on the merger.

7. Kris_LTRMa

Kris_LTRMa LoseTheRadio.net's Ma

QFT

8. skione

skione OA Fan From Way Back!

I filed a complaint about the merger back when the boyz got suspended.

The real thing I am nervous about is:

If the companies do merge would that mean the end of O&A on satalite?

9. livebackwards

livebackwards Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery

Making me root for the FCC is not the worst thing XM / Sirius have ever done, but it is the thing I take most personally.

10. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle Howard Stern Fan

Is the XM/Sirius merger bad because Howard supports it, or is there an O&A related reason you guys don't want it?
    The Stern fans all seem to either not care or want it to happen. The only negativity towards the merger from Stern fans comes from people who think they will be forced to pay higher subscription fees.

11. livebackwards

livebackwards Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery

We're afraid Karmizan and Stern will either force O&A out the door somehow, or force them to not talk about Hoo Hoo or any other Hoo Hoo-related show.

Both very likely to occur if Karmizan becomes their boss.

12. skione

skione OA Fan From Way Back!

Remember guys this merger is essentially a Sirrius buy out of XM

13. buttwax

buttwax Registered User

mel is going to add a shit load of commercials to the lineup to offset the discounted pricing(20 min.per hour)if o&a make the cut ,which i highly doubt,they will most likely have to deal with this and gag orders and so on and so on

14. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

The XM/Sirius merger is bad for all XM subscribers, not just O&A fans, because, if it happens, XM subscribers will be forced to pay Howard Stern's ridiculously bloated salary.

Howard Stern has a history of behind-the-scenes "gag orders" against his co-workers. He has admitted this on national television. If the merger goes through, there's no reason to think he won't continue his childish manipulative antics to the detriment of the new company.

Who gives a fuck what Stern fans think? They're Stern fans... which means they're not very good at thinking.

15. Goober

Goober AKA Eqyptian Teabag the Friendly Arab

I hope the FCC was provided with all of ELo's emails from the 'Box o' Cocks' retaliation.

16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton It's all about the funny!

Yes. The thread titles should reflect the same. It is never a Merger. Always a buy out when this happens.

17. NIB1666

NIB1666 Registered User

i think o and a will survive the merger. mel is all bussiness and hes not gonna let a personal vendetta affect his bottom line. howard may not like o n a but he is not gonna walk out on his contract if they are hired.

18. Brokeback Jimmy

Brokeback Jimmy Laundering your Swastikas since 1912

Well, I don't trust Karmazen one bit.

He will ruin Satrad, kick O&A to the curb and crown HOO HOO the King of all shit.

Fuck Karmazen

Fuck Sirius

And above all FUCK THIS FUCKING CUNTFACED MERGER!!!!

19. Hobo_Cum

Hobo_Cum Psst... your balls are showing...

QFT x2

20. bushleaguer

bushleaguer Registered User

This is partially correct. Both companies could offer an a'la carte menu right now and thus offer the service for less than the current rate.
    What the sat companies are asserting and the article gets wrong is that the merger would make content that is, right now, exclusive to one company available to a consumer. For example, Karmazin says that if an XM customer wants the NFL or Nascar, then he needs to purchase an additional receiver and pay 12.95 more/month. With the merger, they will offer such content at a reduced rate. To this end, Karmazin is correct when he says that the merger will "benefit" the satellite radio consumer (provided they keep their word).

I agree that this has little to do with the consumer. I listen to about 15 stations with XM and would never miss the other 155 if they went bye bye. XM could offer an a'la carte menu right now, but they are using that as the incentive for the merger. It's a crafty way to try to get the merger pushed through, but it's disingenuous.
    Also, neither company will admit that they have massive debt and a merger would help both companies survive. The assertion that they will be fine without the merger is not the truth. I think one company will eventually fold if there is no merger, probably Sirius considering the amount of money they paid Stern alone.

As far as the FCC goes, they are the only firewall against this merger. The DoJ will green light it, so the FCC is the only thing that stands in the way.

21. Taintkisser

Taintkisser has anyone seen my NAZI Helmet?

I would still like to know where Sirius is getting the funds to do this, if they paid all that money to Hoohoo, still have less active subs than XM, and quite honestly, their units are hideous!!!!!
    Is OPEC funding sirius that they seem to have ridiculous sums of money to throw around? Or is it the old guys from Trading Places? "Give Howie half a billion!!!!! WHO CARES????? its just money!!!" as they sit and laugh and laugh........."Say, while we're just throwing money around lets make a bet, one dollar says we can we can pull the wool over the governments eyes and have a monopoly on OJ, err I mean Satellite Radio" LOL, gimme those ribs you...... :icon_eek: