ABC's Pan-Am = Mad Men + political correctness

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
[video=youtube;OFPxyTEcJXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFPxyTEcJXU[/video]

In case anyone was actually planning on watching this dreck, here's a new reason not to:

A show set in 1963 refuses to show characters smoking.

Fuck you, ABC.

Also, let's shoehorn in some black characters where they wouldn't have been allowed at the time. Why let historical accuracy get in the way of appeasing minorities?

Ugh.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
This will probably fail miserably. People don't like Mad Men because it's retro. They like it because it's GOOD (I've never actually seen it, but enough people I trust love it)

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
How bout that Playboy Club show coming out on NBC?
Looks like it'll be pretty cutting edge. A realistic, gritty look at sex in the 60's......on NBC.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
It's ABC. Cutting-edge shows are not what they are known for anymore Its just too polished rehashes of other popular shows.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It's ABC. Cutting-edge shows are not what they are known for anymore Its just too polished rehashes of other popular shows.
It's not even a rehash. It's these dumb executives who attribute a show's success to the wrong thing. As I said before, Mad Men's success has NOTHING to do with the retro look. It is about good writing/directing/acting and ALSO an HONEST look at the period. Instead, these dumb motherfuckers just think that people are on a 50s tear and will watch anything to do with the period. WRONG.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
[video=youtube;OFPxyTEcJXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFPxyTEcJXU[/video]

In case anyone was actually planning on watching this dreck, here's a new reason not to:

A show set in 1963 refuses to show characters smoking.

Fuck you, ABC.

Also, let's shoehorn in some black characters where they wouldn't have been allowed at the time. Why let historical accuracy get in the way of appeasing minorities?

Ugh.
What year does this show exactly take place? Because if its taking place in the mid-1960s' when the first black stewardesses appeared, then there is no reason why there shouldn't be on one the show.

I agree the smoking thing is stupid. Although I didn't notice that nobody wasn't smoking on ABC's version of Life On Mars.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
What year does this show exactly take place? Because if its taking place in the mid-1960s' when the first black stewardesses appeared, then there is no reason why there shouldn't be on one the show.

I agree the smoking thing is stupid. Although I didn't notice that nobody wasn't smoking on ABC's version of Life On Mars.
Press about it just says "the 60's." Also, if they have Black stewardesses, but they address the racial tension at the time, then it's a wash for me. As long as you don't pretend that shit was normal back then. In fact, the racism here would be that it is whitewashing white attitudes towards blacks back then. If I were black, that would definitely offend me. It's like making a show about Germany in the 30's without addressing the Nazis or rampant Anti-semitism.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I watched it. The show sucks. It's really about these stewardesses being undercover CIA agents investigating people in far off lands and having to drop illegal property on passengers so they can be arrested at customs.

I'd say it would be the first show cancelled, but there is so much that's even worse. Like fucking Whitney or Are You There Vodka (which is probably the worst name for a show I've ever heard), I don't even know if those shows make it through the second commercial break. Oh and stupid chicks will probably like Pan Am, so it might get a couple extra weeks.

And fucking Playboy, that show is even worse. The girl kills a mafia guy by stepping on his head with her high heel, nice inciting incident assholes, a fucking 95 pound chick stepping on your head will not kill you with her heel.

Except for Alcatraz this new crop of shows pretty much sucks.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'd put money on The Playboy Club being canceled first since NBC seems less experimential than ABC plus the entire PTC whininess.

Did you happen to see the real life fairy tale show. I remember reading about it during the upfronts and briefly thinking "this might not be entirely terrible."

edzeppe

Dec 11, 2004
Catch Me If You Can... The Movie!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
More like Catch It While You Can ... The Series!

The Keeed

Nov 20, 2006
This stuff never used to bother me, but now I'm at a point where I can't watch a network drama anymore (that sentence sounds like it has at least 2 grammatical mistakes.) They always have to have the minority characters, and now gay characters. And that would be alright except you know from the start that they're never the bad guys. It's so formulaic no matter the setting. I'm down to Mad Men and HBO shows, which thankfully don't need to gain the acceptance of every special interest group out there.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
This stuff never used to bother me, but now I'm at a point where I can't watch a network drama anymore (that sentence sounds like it has at least 2 grammatical mistakes.) They always have to have the minority characters, and now gay characters. And that would be alright except you know from the start that they're never the bad guys. It's so formulaic no matter the setting. I'm down to Mad Men and HBO shows, which thankfully don't need to gain the acceptance of every special interest group out there.
1. That sentence looks fine to me.

2. I don't think they need to gain acceptance from anyone. I think THEY THINK they need to gain acceptance. You think gay and black people don't love The Wire or Mad Men? Italians fucking LOVED the Sporanos. People just want GOOD TELEVISION. And Network just doesn't seem to get that. And you don't need to curse for good TV. The first 3 seasons of Lost and the first season of Heroes are recent examples of network shows that were good, and also popular.

The Keeed

Nov 20, 2006
1. That sentence looks fine to me.

2. I don't think they need to gain acceptance from anyone. I think THEY THINK they need to gain acceptance. You think gay and black people don't love The Wire or Mad Men? Italians fucking LOVED the Sporanos. People just want GOOD TELEVISION. And Network just doesn't seem to get that. And you don't need to curse for good TV. The first 3 seasons of Lost and the first season of Heroes are recent examples of network shows that were good, and also popular.
Not according to GLAAD, who are constantly putting out their report card for all the channels on the presence of GLBT characters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/idUS410720287420110803 Then they blast channels like CBS, which aren't up to their standards (standards, which are totally unrealistic to begin with).

I still love a bunch of network comedies (How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Family Guy), so it's definitely not the cursing. The dramas are just always so safe and uninteresting. The last network drama I watched on a regular basis was Lost, which I sort of liked, but I didn't dislike it for PC reasons. There it made sense since the ensemble cast was so big and they were basically thrown together randomly, as opposed to the show with the tight group of friends, which happens to include a black, gay guy.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I'd put money on The Playboy Club being canceled first since NBC seems less experimential than ABC plus the entire PTC whininess.

Did you happen to see the real life fairy tale show. I remember reading about it during the upfronts and briefly thinking "this might not be entirely terrible."
The only thing with NBC and Playboy is they have a new president, the guy used to run showtime, and before that produced 6 Feet Under. So he might want to let his shows hang in there, and I'm pretty sure Playboy was produced by a woman he worked with in the past who he now brought into the fold as an upper exec. It's the only thing making me think it will hang on for at least 9 episodes. But how knows if it's a total disaster maybe they dump it to Bravo.

I didn't watch the fairy tale one, but seeing Jennifer Goodwins pics from the TCA's the other day, I might just put it on. I'm watching "It's Worth What" (said with a ghetto accent every time) right now, which is running on NBC, but I'm thinking my TV is somehow picking up a bad internet skit, I just don't know how it's happening.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Have you seen that JJ Abrams show with Michael Emerson? Person of Interest or whatever..

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Have you seen that JJ Abrams show with Michael Emerson? Person of Interest or whatever..
If you like crappy CBS procedurals you'll love it. If not, don't bother.

They spent three quarters of the episode telling you this genius government computer that watches us has never once been wrong, only to have it be wrong. Total shit.

But JJ Abrams show Alcatraz on Fox is probably my favorite pilot.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You mean "The 4400: The Next Generation"? Yeah, I guess I'll check it out, then. :D

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
You mean "The 4400: The Next Generation"? Yeah, I guess I'll check it out, then. :D
There's some similarities to 4400, I know what you mean. But it really seems like it could have some legs. At least the people don't come back with super powers. I loved the pilot for Fringe and I don't think it was as solid as that, but it was pretty close.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
There's some similarities to 4400, I know what you mean. But it really seems like it could have some legs. At least the people don't come back with super powers. I loved the pilot for Fringe and I don't think it was as solid as that, but it was pretty close.
Yeah, I made a mental note to check it out when I saw the preview.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
If you like crappy CBS procedurals you'll love it. If not, don't bother.

They spent three quarters of the episode telling you this genius government computer that watches us has never once been wrong, only to have it be wrong. Total shit.
Jesus: You know this means I can't work for you anymore.
Ben: Please!
Jesus: I mean you hired me for one assignment and the software is all faulty. It's like hiring a cab driver, but the cab has no brakes. If anything, I should be trying to bring you down.
Ben: Come on. I get so lonely!

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Liddy, I watched that fairy tale show late last night. The first 28 minutes I was very meh about it, but then the last 15 minutes really kind of picked up and started making more sense. It's not visual like Pushing Daisy's and not necessarily a similar tone either, but I think that might be the most recent network show I can compare it to, in that it really doesn't follow the norms of any other network show I'm used to. But it doesn't have the procedural element like PD, more of a prime time soap, where the people from fairy tales have all been transferred to a modern day city because of the witch. I wonder what the outline for the season is. It might be cool or it might wind up like a show like Wonderfalls with no place to really go.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Liddy, I watched that fairy tale show late last night. The first 28 minutes I was very meh about it, but then the last 15 minutes really kind of picked up and started making more sense. It's not visual like Pushing Daisy's and not necessarily a similar tone either, but I think that might be the most recent network show I can compare it to, in that it really doesn't follow the norms of any other network show I'm used to. But it doesn't have the procedural element like PD, more of a prime time soap, where the people from fairy tales have all been transferred to a modern day city because of the witch. I wonder what the outline for the season is. It might be cool or it might wind up like a show like Wonderfalls with no place to really go.
I liked Wonderfalls.

Thanks for the report. I might check it out since I can't think of any new show this season (other than Alcatraz) that fascinates me. Not appointment television, but day after/online viewing.