ABC's "Work It": 3 Episodes?

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I just saw a preview for this, and thought it was a joke; but it's real, and looks really horrible.
I might start writing and pitching sitcom ideas, just for the development money

[yt]WsQAWsEwcVM[/yt]

ABC’s Work It Could Be the Worst Television Show in History

Every year gets a movie so unspeakably disgusting, it becomes a cultural touchstone in its own right. Last year it was The Human Centipede; this year, Jack and Jill. Imagine combining the two into the The Jack and Jill Centipede: a four-man, ass-to-mouth daisy chain of Adam Sandlers surgically attached to Adam Sandlers in drag. The mind reels, the stomach heaves. But you know what's even grosser than that? This. Work It.

From ABC's synopsis:

With unemployment an ongoing issue and women now outnumbering men in the workforce, the new comedy series Work It follows two alpha males who realize the only way to beat the current "mancession" and land a job in pharmaceutical sales is to pass themselves off as women.

Are they fucking with us? They're fucking with us, right? "Mancession?" They had to invent a buzzword to justify this reconstituted Bosom Buddies horseshit sandwich? Oh wow, so topical! "If you haven't heard, we're in the middle of a mancession everyone, and so here's a very of-the-moment show about a pair of neanderthals in pumps and the idiots who think they're women. Set your DVRs! You thought your job's a drag!" Congratulations, ABC. You just killed the sitcom again.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Hey, at least it's never been done before.
Very good point, at least you can't claim it's a ripped off idea...
I like how they're eating and he pulls out a big manly sandwich, but he's supposed to be a woman not a man!

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Let's be really serious about this for a second - what was the last time that you legitimately laughed at a man-pretending-to-be-a-woman joke? I can't think of anything newer than Mrs. Doubtfire, and I was 11 when I saw it.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Let's be really serious about this for a second - what was the last time that you legitimately laughed at a man-pretending-to-be-a-woman joke? I can't think of anything newer than Mrs. Doubtfire, and I was 11 when I saw it.
Yeah, same for me... I saw that in the theater when I was 9, and probably laughed my tiny balls off.

If this is an indicator, some dude name Benjamin Koldyke is about to become one of the most successful guys in Hollywood and the other dude will go on to do voice work

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I haven't seen it in years but I remember kind of liking Sorority Boys.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I haven't seen it in years but I remember kind of liking Sorority Boys.
That's still 8 years ago, and you're scraping the bottom of the barrel here. The point is that shit ain't funny no more, especially not as the main thrust of your entire show. I wonder if they'll do a joke about not being able to change the gender on your facebook page. It's drag humor for the social networking age! Uuuuuch.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
And honestly, in this day and age of HD it would never be believable on screen in any way. It's easy to pass it off when the show filmed in Technicolor.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
And honestly, in this day and age of HD it would never be believable on screen in any way. It's easy to pass it off when the show filmed in Technicolor.
There was also a naivete that just doesn't really exist anymore regarding men in women's clothing. People would just look at them and say "Oh, trannies. Whatever."

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
There was also a naivete that just doesn't really exist anymore regarding men in women's clothing. People would just look at them and say "Oh, trannies. Whatever."
I was coming to post about that. It's no longer a novelty or a joke, it's like an actual thing.

But as for funny crossdressing, there's this

[yt]pdrGVMpzylY[/yt]
[yt]tt8Iwf_87eY[/yt]
[yt]gkvpTq1Lf5s[/yt]
[yt]o4rdlG6odfk[/yt]

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
It was still funny in a Kids in the Hall sort of way, but I honestly think they're the last ones that will ever make anyone laugh with it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Both of you are giving examples of cross dressing jokes, not cross dressing shows/movies. Sure, you can do something funny with a wig and high heels, but to build an entire sitcom around it?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Both of you are giving examples of cross dressing jokes, not cross dressing shows/movies. Sure, you can do something funny with a wig and high heels, but to build an entire sitcom around it?
Not really, Kids in the Hall was an all male cast that did sketch comedy. Some times they needed female characters.

Similar to the cross-dressing on SNL, some times a cross-dressing actor/actress just looks more like the guy/girl.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It was still funny in a Kids in the Hall sort of way, but I honestly think they're the last ones that will ever make anyone laugh with it.
But I never considered cross dressing the "joke" in KitH. I mean they were guys dressed as a woman, but it wasn't funny because they were guys dressed as a woman.

What about Madea?

And the end of Boondock Saints?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Does Eddie Izzard count?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Not really, Kids in the Hall was an all male cast that did sketch comedy. Some times they needed female characters.

Similar to the cross-dressing on SNL, some times a cross-dressing actor/actress just looks more like the guy/girl.
Huh? That's what I meant. I mean, I'm not saying that it is entirely impossible to do something funny that involves a man dressed like a woman. I just think it is entirely impossible to make a funny show about two guys who dress up like women to get jobs.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Huh? That's what I meant. I mean, I'm not saying that it is entirely impossible to do something funny that involves a man dressed like a woman. I just think it is entirely impossible to make a funny show about two guys who dress up like women to get jobs.
What if the job is being a prostitute?

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
I know this is going to be terrible, but I don't get how it's even feasible. The SSNs wouldn't match the name they are giving and they wouldn't be able to pass a background check because they are a made up person. I call bullshit.

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
I actually saw this. I do online surveys from time to time and was asked to watch this. It's worse than you can possibly imagine.

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
There's the bitchy boss the dumb blonde the semi hot chick one of the guys likes and tries to pick up when he's a guy. A real knee slapper.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The only way I think a show like this can work is if one of the guy gets creepily into the female role. Like it's not a bro who happens to wear a wig, but his entire personality changes. He carries himself different, he speaks differently, he actually "becomes" a woman, but not in a transgendered way.