??? About Switching Web Hosting & E-mail accounts

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
In the County where I work, we are switching web hosts.

This might be a dumb ass question, but my question is that once we change the name server to the new host and change the outgoing and incoming mail servers, will the e-mails received in Outlook Express (using the prior web host settings) remain in a person's inbox?

Thanks.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Any mail you've retrieved will remain in Outlook Express. It is stored locally on each person's pc.

Actually, let me qualify that - as long as you are using POP3. Some hosts use IMAP - rare, but possible - which synchronizes as opposed to downloads. Even though a copy is stored on the local machine, if you try to check the email after switching settings, Outlook may decide that the emails have been deleted from the server and delete the local copies.

AOL and MS Exchange use IMAP.

Feb 20, 2007
Any mail you've retrieved will remain in Outlook Express. It is stored locally on each person's pc.

Actually, let me qualify that - as long as you are using POP3. Some hosts use IMAP - rare, but possible - which synchronizes as opposed to downloads. Even though a copy is stored on the local machine, if you try to check the email after switching settings, Outlook may decide that the emails have been deleted from the server and delete the local copies.

AOL and MS Exchange use IMAP.
I would not say that rare on IMAP - maybe rare if they only offer IMAP but most IMAP is being used more and more across the net with more mobile phones hitting the market. I know personally of two programs that I have setup on the web (invoice and customer support) that use IMAP only - I had to purchase a VPS and manually upgrade it to PHP5 (this software worked more towards 5) with the IMAP module installed since the host on their shared server had php5 running but only as a fastcgi with php4 still the standard.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
Thanks.:action-sm

They are POP3 accounts so we should be good.