OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Ace Combat Assault Horizon

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by OAarchive, Jul 26, 2011.

1. OAarchive

OAarchive Banned

Stunning.

[video=youtube;zTpqgXBhNsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpqgXBhNsg[/video]

2. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

I've always love the Ace Combat series. If only they could just get over it and get rid of the PC imaginary countries with imaginary Japanese-esque plot-lines -- though it looks like they have. The game play has always been amazing either way.

Tom Clancy H.A.W.X. isn't bad either. I'm a combat flight sim whore, fyi. Always have been.

3. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Yep.. I have been playing blazing angels 2 because my PS3 shit the bed again 3 weeks ago and I didn't pull my saves off. Bought a new one instead. As I was playing I thought of coming online and see if there was a new Blazing angels or Ace combat. Love 'em

4. soiledshorts79

soiledshorts79 Registered Tumor .

Been on my want list for a while. I love jet fighter games.

5. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

It's really sad, too, because it used to be the most popular genre by far, but it seems like Ace Combat and HAWX are the only ones left.

6. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

Pretty sure there was a thread on this already.

The original reveal trailer made it pretty clear that the series is shifting to real world countries and scenarios, not the fictional countries of the earlier games. However, the earlier games made it clear who was who, and still made for some amazing storylines. Ace Combat 5 still has one of the best storylines I have ever played through in a game.

7. XMScott

XMScott Its Business Time!

I probably made that thread seeing that is one of my top 3 favorite franchises.

8. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    It's My Birthday! Donator

The demo is up on XBL. God this game is going to shit the bed. CoD folks are going to die over it though.

9. Hate & Discontent

....Suddenly, I am slightly less pissed off that I do not have a working 360. I would probably lose my mind if they've treated AC like CoD...

10. Falldog

There are two missions, a fighter sim over Miami and helicopter over nondescript Arab desert shit hole #48. The helicopter mission got incredibly boring. Hovering around the same non-destructible brown wasteland games have been putting us in for years? Booo. Then some Hinds show up and you pretty much just strafe around them shooting at them until they take 1000% damage and explode. At least it's incredibly easy, especially since you can just fly into buildings and take no damage.

I need to replay the flight mission but it felt sluggish and completely without direction. The radio chatter seemed nice and I think the flying rules were a bit more realistic. I stalled out a lot quicker than I remember doing before. And I say that laughing because the game is designed around the premise that that the only way to shoot down some of the enemies is to into a high speed slipstream chase mode. You get behind them, wait till you get a green circle around them, and hit the top left and right buttons. Next thing you know you're flying right on his ass through buildings (and I'm pretty sure sure that you're not actually flying, just on a rail with the ability to move the sights around a bit).

The LB+RB quick time event is also used for dodging missiles and every now and then they throw a giant Y button icon on the screen which you have to hit, apparently to trigger a cut scene? Bah.

11. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Got my copy Tuesday. Popped it in for a bit yesterday morning. Played for 15 min and went back to NHL 12. I am going to give it another try today. It seemed like I had the option to go into DFM or not, but without it was harder to shoot down the aces. and I don't like the L2+R2 missle dodge. I had the option of going back to the old controls. Wasn't used to it. I'll give it a shot again.

I don't know but it isn't looking good.

12. Falldog

Been playing with it. Simply put, it angers me greatly.

It wouldn't be so bad it if it didn't say "Ace Combat" in front, which in turn requires me to compare it to the rest of the series.

13. Hate & Discontent

Jesus christ. Thanks a lot, ACES. Seeing a great series ruined pisses me the fuck off.

14. Falldog

15. Falldog

At the end of the game...

Your stupid and useless wing man gets shot down somewhere off the coast of Miami. Then you fly to DC and fly the final battle. Then, once that's said and done, is when they apparently locate his fucking locator beacon.

16. madmaxey

madmaxey T.F.W.O.

the original ace combat on PS reigned