OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

ACORN suspected of huge absentee voter ballot scam in MA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MayrMeninoCrash, Aug 18, 2012.

1. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Did I say ACORN? I meant Republicans :trollol:

http://www.wgbhnews.org/post/galvin-calls-voter-fraud-allegations-pretty-extreme

2. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I'm sure he also stole their picture ID's and sent a copy of them in with the ballots...:icon_cool

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Serious question: Wouldn't voter ID laws also solve problems like these? The law should be that you can't do ANYTHING voter related without a photo ID. You want to change affiliation or request an absentee ballot? Fine. But the request has to have a photocopy of the photo ID for verification.

4. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Finger print time.

5. Party Rooster

So you have no problem sending your license through the mail like that? Some states have the Social Security number on the license too. And like it's not hard to fake a scanned copy of it in MS Paint anyway. And most people that do the absentee ballot thing do it because it saves time, now you've just added another layer of bureaucracy to something that already has fraud checks in place (as is evidenced here). What do you think the voter turnout would be for absentee ballots under NeonTaster's plan?

6. MayrMeninoCrash

When the guy perpretrating the fraud is the one behind the desk collecting these applications and photocopies, my guess would be no, those laws would do nothing to solve this problem.

7. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

It really was a serious question since I don't know how absentee ballots even work. So I guess the answer would be no. I still don't understand how this translates into an opposition to voted ID laws. Why not combat all forms of possible voter fraud? You think I'm ok with the above because it was a republican? Winning an election isn't worth it if you had to commit fraud to do it.

8. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

This. Voter ID laws help prevent some, not all, forms of fraud. Obviously fraud within vote processing operations is a completely different issue. Sending confirmation notices of changed political parties seems like a good method to help catch this type of stuff.

9. Party Rooster

Because as was pointed out, any voter ID laws wouldn't have done anything to stop it when it's an inside job. You don't think there'd be plenty of opposition on both sides from people objecting to sending a copy of their driver's licenses through the mail like that? For something that's incredibly rare in the first place?

Think of it this way: Even if you're in favor of the death penalty, you probably also concede the point that you need to make sure that there's a preponderance of evidence against a guy you send to the gallows. "Better to let 100 men walk than to execute one innocent man..." Same thing with the voter ID stuff. Sure, you MAY catch a couple of people trying to game the system, but how many thousands of people will be kicked out of the voting process?

That's a good system, but now consider the costs associated with having to do that. Mailing costs, paper costs, probably have to hire a couple more government employees now too. Sorry to go all fiscally conservatish on your ass. :action-sm

10. whiskeyguy

As far as government spending goes, I don't think protecting election integrity is a wasteful use of resources.

11. MayrMeninoCrash

An absentee ballot is a way for a voter to cast a ballot who cannot make it to the polls on Election Day. Basically if you know you won't be able to, you need to request a ballot in advance, fill it out (just like you would if you were at the polling station) and send it back in. The ballots are collected and are counted post-election, and totals added to the "in-person" totals. A problem could occur if you request an absentee ballot and then visit the polling station on Election Day. Most places will not allow you to vote, except by a "provisional ballot" which means we will audit the absentee ballots and if there is none submitted for you, we will count your provisional ballot as your official vote. Of course you can see how all of this is ripe for fraud, especially for an inside job.

Requesting an absentee ballot and casting an absentee ballot typically does not require ID. Your absentee ballot will be sent to your official address but other than that, nothing prevents the mailman, nosey neighbor or kid from filling out the ballot and sending it back in as your "official" vote.

12. Party Rooster

But aren't you not protecting election integrity by disenfranchising eligible voters?

13. whiskeyguy

Not if it's reasonable. You obviously have to find a balance between accommodating voters and stopping fraud... but voting in America is easier than ever before. When our country was founded, people who wanted to vote often had to ride horses/walk a long ways to get to a polling place. Is asking a potential voter to obtain photo identification really that much of an inconvenience?

14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

So it is reasonable for the NAACP to require a photo ID for you to be able to watch Eric Holder attack voter ID laws, but it isn't ok for you to prove who you are in order to vote? Come on...

15. Owenay

Owenay Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...

How is it disenfranchising to require ID to vote? Is it disenfranchising to smokers and drinkers to provide ID at the counter? Is it disenfranchising to provide ID when opening a bank account or a PO Box? Is it disenfranchising for welfare recipients to provide ID to even receive it in the first place? It's ridiculous. The very people you lefties claim will be disenfranchised by Voter ID are the poorest and oldest among us. Yet it is those very same people who receive multiple forms of government assistance that requires ID to get. Wouldn't it stand to reason that they'd have ID's already? Furthermore, it's insulting to the alleged victims of Voter ID laws, the poor and minorities in particular, to suggest that they are just oh so incapable of getting ID. But that's just par for the course for Progressive thought.

16. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

What Owenay said.

17. Party Rooster

No.

That's all well and good, but none of those are guaranteed by the Constitution.

Not every poor person and minority collects welfare.

Not saying they're incapable. Just that it would have an impact on some of them.

Why don't you just be honest and say you support it because it'll keep fewer Democrats from voting? If Republicans were that concerned about voter fraud, they'd concentrate on areas where it's a lot more prevalent, like absentee fraud. Not the .0001% of the times when it's done in person without an ID.

18. MayrMeninoCrash

It's one of our inalienable rights as outlined in the Constitution.

Nope, not Constitutionally protected to smoke and drink, and private shop owners are welcome to sell to whomever they wish, regardless of ID

Nope not Constitutionally protected to save money or receive mail.

Most welfare agencies provide their own ID to welfare recipients. Typically if they don't present those ID they cannot use their benefits. Nothing disenfranchising about that

Sounds like the solution is for governments to send out ID's with voter registration cards and make sure that the same person who registered is the one who is voting. That eliminates the need to get an onerous State ID that nowadays requires 10 alternate forms of ID to prove your identity.

19. MayrMeninoCrash

Well I guess this proves Partycock and I aren't alts of the same person :haha7:

20. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Voter ID laws keep people that shouldn't be voting from voting. It's not our fault the vast majority of those people are democrats.

21. Party Rooster

Well I guess this proves MayrMeninoCrash and I aren't alts of the same person...:icon_cool

22. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Regarding the constitutionality - just because voting is a constitutional right doesn't mean you shouldn't have to meet the minimum criteria of proving who you are. I also have a constitutional right to walk through Times Square in the middle of the day, but I can't do it without any pants on, EVEN if I can't afford to buy any pants.

23. whiskeyguy

So is it unconstitutional to require photo ID to buy a firearm? That is a right afforded us under our Constitution, yet the last time I purchased a firearm I had to provide photo ID, take a written test, provide proof of residence in the form of a utility bill, and pass a background check.

24. MayrMeninoCrash

I think all those things might be unconstitutional, but our current SCOTUS justices are content with imposing certain limitations on our inalienable right. But just because we have accepted limitations on one right, should we automatically allow limitations be imposed on another?

25. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Proving you are you is not a limitation. It is a verification.