Across the Universe

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
From IMDB: "Musical based on The Beatles songbook and set in the 60s England, America, and Vietnam. The love story of Lucy and Jude is intertwined with the anti-war movement and social protests of the 60s. Over 30 Beatles' songs are woven into the plot together with visual allusions to films Help! (1965), A Hard Day's Night (1964), Magical Mystery Tour (1967) (TV), Yellow Submarine (1968) and Let It Be (1970)"

Has anyone seen this movie? I watched it last night and thought it was pretty good, especially since I do like The Beatles.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I saw it in the theater and got really bored with it. And I am usually even ok with musicals. But the whole thing just started to annoy me. I think because my girlfriend was obsessed with the trailer and I was expecting it to have big musical numbers like old Fred Astaire movies, but the clips they showed in the trailer were really deceiving and I felt like the whole thing was smaller in scale then I thought it would of been. And then some of the other strange parts like the Bono song just didn't really go anywhere.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
You couldn't buy me enough booze to want to see this.....

And I drunkenly bought The Phantom Menace on VHS, even though I knew it was a shit movie.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The Draft Board scene kind of freaked me out.

My favorite part of the movie was knowing what song long before hand they were going to use. "Hi, this is my friend, his name is Jude." "Oh...I see where they're going with this."

Still think that Evan Rachel Wood girl is hot.

Capt.Quint

ANDREW DICE GAY
Jul 26, 2005
Fort Pierce,FL
Been a while since I have seen this in theaters. It was alright. The way they used some of the songs was interesting along with some of the versions (slow ballad version of ''I wanna hold your hand", Acapella version of 'Girl') but I too thought the middle section of the movie sucked with Bono and Eddie Izzard. Seemed like a shitty excuse to get some star power in the movie. "Benefit for Mr Kite" are whatever the fuck it is called fucking blows.

RobeSoup&Tears

Get 'em while they're hot
Aug 16, 2005
Riverdale, New York
I got it yesterday (Netflix) and watched about a half hour...I'll finish it this weekend.

Like LiddyRules I saw where they where going in the first few minutes.

It's good, not great so far.

Stig...Comment?

W

Wickedballs

I thought this was the biggest bag of shit I have ever seen. A terrible story to go along with a soundtrack not sung by the original artists. The living Beatles should be kicking themselves for losing the rights to these songs while the dead Beatles should be glad they are dead. The trippy psychedelic scenes made the movie seem like it was trying too hard to be The Wall, except with a worse story and shittier artists.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
too hard to be The Wall, except with a worse story and shittier artists.
Did you just knock Pink Floyd?

Like LiddyRules I saw where they where going in the first few minutes.
May I present Bill Eggman and Military Guy Timothy Pepper? Man, that Sadie sure is purdy. That bathroom is the only entrance to the apartment, we need a way to get in! That raccoon's in the hotel room!

Stig...Comment?
He doesn't like talkies. Lilliput Lonaghan.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
blows.

boo

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
If you think this Beatle song based film was bad...

...some of you should find and watch the horror that was 1978's 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'.

It was a major bomb that killed the careers of at least a couple people and is so cheesy bad that I'm embarrassed to be even talking about it. The only good thing on it is Aerosmith doing 'Come Together' in a drugged out haze and Earth Wind And Fire's version of 'Got To Get You Into My Life'

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
...some of you should find and watch the horror that was 1978's 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'.
I have and that Mr. Mustard sure was mean. What with his evil robot and everything.

However, the chick in that movie was very sexy. Even though it kind of fell apart at the end when everyone dies and dancing black guy brings everyone back to life.

In conclusion, I've seen it on cable/On Demand a couple of times in recent months (not watched, but seen) so if you have a chance to see Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band DO IT. Especially if it's a depressing late night.

I think Ron also mentioned it awhile ago. Something about how in those days you could pay people with coke.