Activision CEO sees $199 game consoles

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Activision Inc (ATVI.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said on Tuesday that prices on Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research)(SNE.N: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Xbox 360 video game consoles must fall to $199 in the next two years to reach mass-market appeal.

Kotick said the PlayStation 3, whose lowest-priced model costs $400, was a good product, but that Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) wildly popular Wii was leading the way with its $250 price tag. The cheapest Xbox 360 is $280.

"The Wii at its price point is now setting a standard and an expectation, and people say, well, the Wii is less complex technically. I don't think that really matters as much to the consumer," Kotick told the Reuters Media Summit in New York.

The key price point for mass adoption was $199, he added.

"In the next 24 months they all will need to be at that $199 price point, and you can imagine Nintendo will be down to the $129 price point over the next few years," he said.

Activision and other game publishers want console prices to fall since it typically leads to higher sales of those machines and gives them a larger base of potential game buyers.

Faced with lackluster PS3 sales in the year since its launch, Sony has cut the price and tweaked features in a bid to attract more consumers.

Nintendo, meanwhile, has been selling all the Wiis it can make due to its lower price, innovative motion controls and easy-to-learn games, all of which have drawn older and female buyers outside the industry's core of young males.

The Wii's runaway success has caused many video game publishers, such as industry leader Electronic Arts Inc (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (TTWO.O: Quote, Profile, Research), to shift resources to creating games for the device.

But Wii game sales are dominated by titles made by Nintendo itself, prompting Activision to take a more cautious approach.

"We realized that, much like Nintendo, the pathway for success and the highest operating margin leverage on the Wii is a relatively small number of titles that really capitalize on capabilities of the hardware," Kotick said.

"Some of our competitors are doing a lot more talking about how they're organized than innovating for the Wii and if (publishers) are going to be successful they are going to have to step up to the level of innovation that Nintendo has proven themselves capable of," he said.

Earlier on Tuesday, Activision raised its quarterly and fiscal-year profit and revenue forecasts, citing stronger-than-expected sales of its hit "Guitar Hero 3" and "Call of Duty 4" video games.

"Guitar Hero" may give Activision a way to crack markets in Asia, where games are mainly Web-based ones played on computers rather than on home consoles as in the United States, Kotick said.

"We've never really had any content that would appeal to the Chinese consumer, to the Korean consumer, and this is a kind of content that lends itself very well to commercialization online," he said.

"It's a natural thing to add as a different type of social experience within those environments so I think that's something you can envision us doing over time," Kotick said.

thrawn42

Hackmaster Jones Sr.
Jul 26, 2005
Seattle
How visionary. Reuters should start quoting internet message boards. People have been saying that shit since Sony unveiled the PS3 pricepoint.

Screw Attack's Top 10 PS3 Exclusives

My buddies and I were actually looking over the Target games section and we actually had a good laugh at how much Sony has fucked up the marketing of PS3 and now Blu-Ray. There's no good reason for it.
And I can't recall ever saying the same thing about any major console.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
How visionary. Reuters should start quoting internet message boards. People have been saying that shit since Sony unveiled the PS3 pricepoint.

My buddies and I were actually looking over the Target games section and we actually had a good laugh at how much Sony has fucked up the marketing of PS3 and now Blu-Ray. There's no good reason for it.
Holy shit. PS3 is a fuckin joke.

W

waa waa bogey

waa waa microsoft marketing :mad4: