Addiction to virtual gaming is real, AMA says

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Addiction to virtual gaming is real, AMA says

By Lindsey Tanner, AP Medical Writer - 06/22/2007

CHICAGO — The telltale signs are ominous: teens holing up in their rooms, ignoring friends, family, even food and a shower, while grades plummet and belligerence soars.

The culprit isn’t alcohol or drugs. It’s video games, which for certain kids can be as powerfully addictive as heroin, some doctors contend.

A leading council of the nation’s largest doctors’ group wants to have this behavior officially classified as a psychiatric disorder, to raise awareness and enable sufferers to get insurance coverage for treatment.

In a report prepared for the American Medical Association’s annual policy meeting starting Saturday in Chicago, the council asks the group to lobby for the disorder to be included in a widely used mental illness manual created and published by the American Psychiatric Association.

AMA delegates could vote on the proposal as early as Monday.

It likely won’t happen without heated debate. Video game makers scoff at the notion that their products can cause a psychiatric disorder. Even some mental health experts say labeling the habit a formal addiction is going too far
http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2007/06/22/nationworld_top/20070622_nationworld_top.txt

Know the signs

By The Associated Press - 06/22/2007

These are some of the questions computer addiction studies professionals ask their patients:

When you’re not playing a game, do you find it difficult not to think about it?

Are you uninterested in anything else besides games?

Do you feel unable to control how much you play?

Are you often late for appointments because of your game play?

Are you having difficulty managing daily life?

Do you skip meals to play?

When you feel alone, do you use games to communicate?

Do you spend more than three hours at a stretch playing?

Is game play preventing you from getting enough sleep?

Do you have headaches, dizziness or seizures?
http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2007/06/22/nationworld/hjjcjdhhjijjgj.txt
Adults do not get hooked?

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
My son was getting addicted to WOW, until he hit 70, and saw that South Park episode about it. He all of a sudden realized at how stupid he looked and stopped right away, and hasn't played it since.

That should be required watching for all MMORPG players.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
My son was getting addicted to WOW, until he hit 70, and saw that South Park episode about it. He all of a sudden realized at how stupid he looked and stopped right away, and hasn't played it since.

:clap: Good for him.

Plunkies

That episode of south park came out well before the ability to level to 70.

Oh and does every douche with a complete lack of self control have to be "addicted" to something?

Sparkstalker

I'd say in this case the "addiction" is just bad parenting.

Joe Avezzano

I have all those symptoms, but I wouldn't say I'm addicted. Even so, I could cash in on some fat government checks because of this. Thank you doctors!

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
That episode of south park came out well before the ability to level to 70.

Oh and does every douche with a complete lack of self control have to be "addicted" to something?

Up here in Canada, we get the episodes the following year.

And I meant level 60, he never got the expansion. Not that any of this is relevant.

Top Bottom