Adele’s 21 has overtaken Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon in UK Sales

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Adele clambers past Pink Floyd on her way to the top of the best-selling UK albums of all time

Adele’s 21 has overtaken Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon in the list of biggest British albums ever

4,142,000 people have grabbed at this album cover Forget Rolling in the Deep, Adele must be rolling (and doing cartwheels and headstands and maybe even handstands if she’s strong enough) in wads of cash – her album is now seventh in the list of best-selling UK albums of all time.
Adele’s record, 21, overtook Pink Floyd’s 1973 release, The Dark Side Of The Moon, in the list, making it the seventh biggest-selling album of all-time.
The album, which includes hits Rumour Has It and Someone Like You, has now sold more than 4,142,000 copies. That is well loads.
Sales figures from the Official Charts Company show it is also just 12,000 copies away from the sixth best-selling album, Dire Straits' long player Brothers In Arms, and is likely to move further up the chart soon.

We wonder if that's what Adele's trolley was full of last month Flynetpictures.com/Splash
The company's managing director Martin Talbot said: "As every week goes by, another record seems to tumble in front of Adele.
"Now, her 21 album has overtaken The Dark Side Of The Moon in the all-time biggest sellers list - and by the end of the week, it may well have overtaken Brothers In Arms, too.
"Then she will have Michael Jackson's Thriller in her sights. It has been an extraordinary 12 months or so for Adele, and it looks set to become even more extraordinary as the days and weeks go by."
Thanks for that, Martin.

Pink Floyd - see ya later And we know you're dying to find out, so here's the top 10 biggest selling albums in the UK:

1 - Greatest Hits - Queen - 5,864,000 copies sold.
2 - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles - 5,045,000 copies sold.
3 - Gold: Greatest Hits - ABBA - 4,992,000 copies sold.
4 - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis - 4,520,000 copies sold.
5 - Thriller - Michael Jackson - 4,272,000 copies sold.
6 - Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits - 4,154,000 copies sold.
7 - 21 - Adele - 4,142,000 copies sold.
8 - The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd - 4,116,000 copies sold.
9 - Bad - Michael Jackson - 3,960,000 copies sold.
10 - Greatest Hits II - Queen - 3,888,000 copies sold.
That fact that Oasis is even on that list is embarrassing Mr. UK.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I honestly thought DSOTM would have been much higher on the list. I read the title and thought she hit #1 ever.

Dec 12, 2007
whys this in the movie/tv section, isn't this for the music section?

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I have never heard of this artist and doubt if I've ever listened to one of her songs. My interest in music ended in the 90's.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I honestly thought DSOTM would have been much higher on the list. I read the title and thought she hit #1 ever.

I think the big record with Dark Side of the Moon was that is was on the best selling list the longest

I'm still shocked enough people buy full albums for this to be possible

I had no idea Queen sold that many albums in England, Brian May obviously is very rich

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I think the big record with Dark Side of the Moon was that is was on the best selling list the longest

I had no idea Queen sold that many albums in England, Brian May obviously is very rich
Queen was one of the biggest British bands ever. They ruled when they were still around.

[video=youtube;lDckgX3oU_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDckgX3oU_w[/video]

Aug 16, 2006
Somewhere down "The Way"

DSOTM's record is over here in the US. It was on the Billboard 200 for over 14 years. (1973-1988)

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Fuck that jazz

WTSMG and Definatly Maybe are two amazing albums.

I'm more surprised that the white album isn't higher.
Fuck that. Oasis sucks big barrels of donkey dicks.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I have never heard of this artist and doubt if I've ever listened to one of her songs. My interest in music ended in the 90's.
Here you go, now you have

[yt]rYEDA3JcQqw[/yt]

EDIT: Look at Mr. Multipost over here.

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Well, when all you gotta do is press a button to buy a song or album instaed of going to the Record Store, I am amazed it took this long.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
x2

I could go the rest of my life without listening to a single song off any album on that list. With the exception of 2 or 3 queen songs and maybe Billie Jean.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
She's got talent and doesn't use auto-tune/voice repair bullshit. Does something different from the plethora vanilla singers in today's music scene. Good for her.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
She's got talent and doesn't use auto-tune/voice repair bullshit. Does something different from the plethora vanilla singers in today's music scene. Good for her.
Good point. I'm glad someone with actual talent is climbing this list. Not saying Queen/Floyd/Beatles/etc don't have talent, I mean at least the person who's breaking sales records now is someone with talent and not an autotune lip syncer.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
I think she's great. Not overly into her music, but when you record a video in your home of you singing the actual song that goes on the CD? AND she doesn't bow to the 'You're not a size 6 wtf?' bullshit? Yay.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I think she's great. Not overly into her music, but when you record a video in your home of you singing the actual song that goes on the CD? AND she doesn't bow to the 'You're not a size 6 wtf?' bullshit? Yay.
I applaud her for not turning into a coke fiend yet in a desperate attempt to lose weight...but she'd be so much prettier if she dropped 40lbs.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Wasn't bad at all. I don't even pay attention to anyone who sounds like their music would sound like lady gaga and all the others. But that was fine.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Feel the same way. Not into that type of music, but she is definitely talented.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
The fact that you can actually hear small wavers and cracks in her voice as she sings is refreshing. I think some of that was due to the threat damage she had to have surgically repaired, but still....

She can belt it better without help than most singers can with autotune.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Dunno. Maybe it's the apathy towards today's music scene where 'it has to be perfect! drag out the programs to stop that warble in his/her voice!' I dig the fact that she is comfortable in her own skin (i.e. a little extra padding) and has said point blank that she doesn't give a shit about those saying she's big. She's healthy for her shape, so fuck the world if they think different.

She's as real as they come, and thank god for it. Fucking refreshing.

And I'm not even a fan of her stuff. Just different is good.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Feel the same way. Not into that type of music, but she is definitely talented.
Agreed on both points.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
the fact that 2 30 year old men i work with sing along with her outloud makes me wanna vomit in her mothers cunt.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I used to like her until I realized she wasn't a hot, black woman...:icon_cool

She has a great voice, but I am definitely not into that type of music.