Adults and Comic Books: I don't get it.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
It always weirds me out seeing grown men buying comic books, even if it's only for collection rather than reading purposes.

Couple this with the fact that children don't seem to be reading them anymore, and you have a business with a demographic of 25-50 year old men. I say 25, because a friend of mine is the youngest person I know who still reads them.

I could never get into comic books. When I think, "Comic Book," I think of Calvin & Hobbes or Garfield or something of that nature. But those are the sitcoms of the comic book world. The real stuff is in the Superheroes. It's about action, drama, and a continuing storyline. I honestly can't argue that the shit isn't art, because it absolutely is. But something about a book that has nothing but pictures in it just throws me off of the medium.

I also hate the term, "Graphic Novel." That is just a fancy phrase that means, "Overpriced comic book." But I must say, I have looked at a few graphic novels and it looks like a lot of work went into them, especially from the visual side of things.

But why is it that these things seem to be popular only among adults? Is it because the older generation grew up reading them and just kind of stuck with them for the nostalgia factor? Or are the stories presented actually worth "reading?" I use quotes because like I said, it's a fuckin picture book. And that's why I don't understand them. Reading is about theater of the mind, and when you take that away, something about the art form is just missing.

I'm not here to shit on you for reading them. I just want to know what the hell the appeal is. Why are they still around and why are they so popular among adult intellectuals?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Oh the irony of you throwing in a comic book reference there.

Im a comic book guy also, some people read magazines, some people read cook books. Its just another form of entertainment, why shit all over it?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
They're fun to read.

I also appreciate the artwork and story plot/archs
I don't read comic books anymore. But this seems to answer the question quite nicely. But I will ask this. How is adults reading comic books any different than adults playing video games?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
for the most part they are just story boarded movies & TV shows now

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
How is adults reading comic books any different than adults playing video games?
Video games, well...the good ones anyway, seem to play out like a movie. Comic books play out like...well...comic books.

And fletch, I said I'm not shitting on it. If you want to read them, go ahead. I guess what I'm trying to ask is this:

What is it about comic books that can make someone read them who has never read them before? Pitch them to me. What is it about them that is keeping them around?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Video games, well...the good ones anyway, seem to play out like a movie. Comic books play out like...well...comic books.

And fletch, I said I'm not shitting on it. If you want to read them, go ahead. I guess what I'm trying to ask is this:

What is it about comic books that can make someone read them who has never read them before? Pitch them to me. What is it about them that is keeping them around?
But is your gripe with the comic books themselves or the fact that adults are buying them. If its the latter, its like Fletcher they're read for entertainment purposes and some of the books tell a great story. Just like video games.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I'm more weirded out by grown adults reading People, Us, or Soap Opera Digest.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I've never been able to get into comic books. Even as a kid when a friend would give me one to read I just could never find myself giving a shit about the story. I've never been able to get through an entire book, and I agree, I've been shocked my whole life that the industry survives. I've never gotten it.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
But is your gripe with the comic books themselves or the fact that adults are buying them. If its the latter, its like Fletcher they're read for entertainment purposes and some of the books tell a great story. Just like video games.
You're forgetting what thread we are in. I am not griping :action-sm

I am simply asking why it is ADULTS rather than CHILDREN that seem to be into them. As I understand, back in the day it was the CHILDREN who read them. It has flipped. That's what I don't understand.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
You're forgetting what thread we are in. I am not griping :action-sm

I am simply asking why it is ADULTS rather than CHILDREN that seem to be into them. As I understand, back in the day it was the CHILDREN who read them. It has flipped. That's what I don't understand.
I just assume every thread you make is about you griping about some thing.

Because people of your age had other forms of entertainment to occupy your time. By the mid to late 1990s' the industry had really taken a step back compared to other forms of entertainment and comic books weren't as popular as they were in the past. Hell the industry almost went out of business during that decade.

But once again, back in the day children only played video games too. Now adults do too.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Adults are playing in dodgeball and wiffle ball leagues nowadays. That is new I believe.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Incorrect. Arcades use to be big back in the day and it wasn't little kids.
That's a good point since I definitely did spend many a day in an arcade when I was younger. But I should have been more specific. I wasn't really referring to little kids. None the less, I really see no difference between adults playing video games or reading comic books. Its a form of entertainment and it is done for leisure.

Its really no different than anything adults used to do in their free time in the past.

soiledshorts79

Registered Tumor .
Mar 2, 2010
Texas
Video games, well...the good ones anyway, seem to play out like a movie. Comic books play out like...well...comic books
There's where you're wrong. A good comic book can play out like a movie in book form. There's some out there that have fucking amazing stories that really pull you in. The one that comes to mind right now is called Scalped. Its about a corrupt Indian reservation and its protagonist is an estranged member of the tribe who is secretly working for the feds. You watch his life go completely down the shitter as the story progresses.

There's a lot of really good stories out there, and a lot of em don't have anything to do with super heroes. Before I found the ones i enjoyed reading I had the exact same view on comics as you, but I dug around and found some awesome stories that I can read again and again and enjoy them every time.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
I don't read comics myself but I don't see how this is any different than enjoying any other story genres. The only difference is superhero stories come in comic book form mostly instead of normal book form.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I used to read them as a kid but I grew out of them when I discovered Mad Magazine. Got more into humor and comics type reading until I started reading newspapers. I actually subscribed to Mad for a while as an adult and got a 5 CD box set for a gift a few years back that had every issue they made from the 60's to the 90's. Still make sure I read the funny pages when I read the newspaper and have quite the collection of Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Fox Trot, etc. Have a bunch of other different compilation books of different strips that I've also collected. It's amazing how timeless some of the ones like Andy Capp are 30-40 years later.

I'm the same way Shooter is with wrestling though. Never could get the appeal of it, especially after you're an adult and you know it's fake.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I've never been able to get into comic books. Even as a kid when a friend would give me one to read I just could never find myself giving a shit about the story. I've never been able to get through an entire book, and I agree, I've been shocked my whole life that the industry survives. I've never gotten it.

the industry survives on licensing rights not on publishing

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
I used to read them as a kid but I grew out of them when I discovered Mad Magazine. Got more into humor and comics type reading until I started reading newspapers. I actually subscribed to Mad for a while as an adult and got a 5 CD box set for a gift a few years back that had every issue they made from the 60's to the 90's. Still make sure I read the funny pages when I read the newspaper and have quite the collection of Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Fox Trot, etc. Have a bunch of other different compilation books of different strips that I've also collected. It's amazing how timeless some of the ones like Andy Capp are 30-40 years later.

I'm the same way Shooter is with wrestling though. Never could get the appeal of it, especially after you're an adult and you know it's fake.
I actually used to watch wrestling. Then I kind of grew out of it.

I guess that's really where I get confused with comics. Video games are something you can't really grow out of because they are not only immersible, but a great social outlet. It seems people don't grow out of comic books...but why aren't more kids reading them nowadays? No attention span?

Then again...I guess no one really grows too old for Disney World. Must be one of those things.

Same way I get confused by the fact that last night when I went to buy a board game, there was a Magic: The Gathering tournament happening next door and all of them had to be in their 30s.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I actually used to watch wrestling. Then I kind of grew out of it.

I guess that's really where I get confused with comics. Video games are something you can't really grow out of because they are not only immersible, but a great social outlet. It seems people don't grow out of comic books...but why aren't more kids reading them nowadays? No attention span?

Then again...I guess no one really grows too old for Disney World. Must be one of those things.

Same way I get confused by the fact that last night when I went to buy a board game, there was a Magic: The Gathering tournament happening next door and all of them had to be in their 30s.
You have to remember some thing. Today's kids grew up on Playstations, X-Boxes, the internet, Ipods, etc. Every major superhero's story has been turned into a movie. They're going to view some thing like comic books as boring and old.