Affirmative Action done?

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
(CNN) -- Come election time in November, voters in five states might have a decision to make as big as whom to elect president.

Ballot initiatives have been proposed in Arizona, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma that would give voters the chance to decide whether they want to do away with affirmative action in government-funded projects and public schools.

Ward Connerly, who heads the American Civil Rights Coalition -- a nonprofit organization working to end racial and gender preferences -- and the main backer of the ballot initiatives, says the 37 word initiative would read: "The state shall not discriminate against or grant preferential treatment to any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education or public contracting."

"It would forbid any state or local agency or special district from engaging in preferential treatment," Connerly said.Video Watch what Connerly says about the initiative »

Connerly, who is of African-American and American Indian descent, said affirmative action causes resentment. He criticized cases in which a Caucasian student might be denied a college slot in favor of a black student with a lower grade-point average.

"It's foolish not to think that the kid who is turned away is not going to ... resent that," Connerly said.

Full article

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Connerly, who is of African-American and American Indian descent, said affirmative action causes resentment. He criticized cases in which a Caucasian student might be denied a college slot in favor of a black student with a lower grade-point average.

"It's foolish not to think that the kid who is turned away is not going to ... resent that," Connerly said.
Wow . . . an N that finally gets it.

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Nov 4, 2002
Shitsville, NY
more like Affirmative Racism, enough already. It seems in this day and age for any public sector job "No White Men Need Apply".

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
I was talking with someone about this the other night, how scary it'd be if Obama was elected, for this reason coupled with white guilt. The focus should be more on the poor when it comes to education and not on color. Color at this stage is a moot point.

There are a lot of parallels right now with this election and the MA governor election, Deval Patrick was a charismatic speaker, got elected then started putting his friends into positions they have no experience in. And with the lack of experience that Obama himself has, this could possibly be 10 times worse. Not to mention that fucking wife of his, scares me more than he does.

Affirmative action had it's place in time, but my wife brought up a good point about how women went through the same thing, regardless of color and take a look around, they're doing just fine. We should be back to a level playing field, I always use the example that before affirmative action we put a fucking man on the moon. What have we done since? We've put unqualified personnel into positions based on skin color and it's got us nowhere. The problem with this, and the reason i like the article is that black people have to end AA because if a white person says anything to that effect they're automatically racist. It's quite ironic, at this point the black man is keeping the black man down.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I used to sell architecture and engineering software, and there was a huge push to sort of pressure our clients into stepping up to the next generation 3d design software. It really was as night and day as going from an 8-bit Nintendo to an XBox in terms of technology and graphics.

Long story short I talked to a black guy that owned a small firm and his reasons for not buying the software:

"Why I gotta spend all that to beef up my shit? I'm one of the only black-owned engineering firms in the state, so when all them government contracts get dealt out I'm always first in line."

Fuck them.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Here in Houston, the city gives the contract to the minority owned company. That can be race, or gender.

The city takes 3 bids. Logic would lead us to believe that the contract would go to the low bid. But it is awarded based on who owns the company.

It's buried somewhere in here

http://www.houstontx.gov/aacc/

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Ward Connerly is fucking awesome. I watched him speak about 10 years ago at U of M. They had police in riot control, because all of the douchey white overpriveliged college kids protested his speaking. He was great, though. He took it all in, and wouldn't back down, even though my friends and I were the only supporters out of the 1000 people who showed up.

Debbie1125

Mar 4, 2007
Philly, PA
If I lived in one of those states then I would vote yes, to do away with affirmative action.

Jobs should go to the most qualified person, not based on race or gender. I know as a woman, I wouldn't feel too good if I was hired just because I'm female, rather than my ability to do the work.

They should do this in the private sector too.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
more like Affirmative Racism, enough already. It seems in this day and age for any public sector job "No White Men Need Apply".
You think it's bad for you whiteys? Try being an Asian.
:action-sm

Back when California was still blatantly skewing entrance based on race, blacks could get into Cal-level colleges if they had Cal-state-level grades, whites needed higher-than-Cal-level grades, and Asians needed grades that also got them accepted into Harvard.

Background: California has a dual-level public university system. Cal-level is Berkeley/UCLA/UCSB/etc. Excellent schools. Cal-state level is CalState Fullerton, etc. Good schools, but not up to Cal-level schools.

My little sister went to Berkeley in the old blatant affirmative action days of the Cal system (yeah, I know, she's a hippie) and chose that over the University of Pennsylvania, an Ivy League school.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I'd keep it.

How about that for those of you out there who think you've figured me out.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I'd keep it.

How about that for those of you out there who think you've figured me out.
Holy fuck dude...

Please give me a rational argument for the good of Affirmative Action before I mail you some anthrax.

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
we had a job in lovely east orange nj. 50% of the crew had to be minorities from the area. we had to hire out it was a big job. out of the 8 we hired 5 showed up every other day and when they were there they didn't do much and 3 came to work and did dick but we HAD to hire them to get the job