Africanized "Killer Bees" Descend on New Orleans.

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/12/ap/tech/main3253161.shtml

MERAUX, La., Sep. 12, 2007

(AP) Africanized honeybees, a fierce hybrid strain sometimes referred to as "killer bees," appear to have established themselves in the New Orleans area, the state agriculture commissioner said.

A swarm of the bees was captured about five miles from where demolition workers found a colony of Africanized bees in January, commissioner Bob Odom said Tuesday.

The most recent find was close enough to the earlier find that the bees might have come from the same colony. But they might also have flown ashore from a passing ship or barge, Odom said in a news release.

"Although the exact source can't be identified, we have to assume Africanized honeybees are now established in the area and people should be careful when working outside," Odom said.

The Department of Agriculture and Forestry keeps traps along a north-south line through the state and at all deepwater ports to monitor the bees, which are smaller and more aggressive than the European honeybees raised for honey.

"Because Africanized bees have been labeled 'killer bees' for years, there's an idea around that they are bigger than European honeybees," Odom said. "The truth is they're actually smaller but a lot fiercer."

They have the same venom as honeybees, but attack in groups. Experts recommend that anyone confronted with Africanized bees find cover quickly.

Africanized bees are the result of an experiment to increase honey production in Brazil. A swarm escaped a lab in 1957 and headed north. When they mated with native strains, the offspring were as aggressive as the African parents.

They reached Texas in 1990 and have spread west to California and east to Florida. They were first found in Louisiana in Caddo Parish, in June 2005, and identified the following month. They have moved steadily east since then, and were most recently found near Pecan Island and Turkey Creek.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
hmmmmm, looks like the bees went back to africa whats the big deal

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
This will be turned into another reason to loot.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
They reached Texas in 1990 and have spread west to California and east to Florida.[ /B]

They are just getting to New Orleans now? How did they get from Texas to Florida without going though Louisiana?

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I heard on The Discovery Channel that Africanized killer bees don't sting people. They do drive-bys, ****, and pillage cities. A very dangerous species.

I'm obvious joke guy!

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Ok... So now the bees are Africanized... They'll blend in with everything else.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Experts recommend that anyone confronted with Africanized bees find cover quickly.
I hear that if you want to avoid African bees, a library or a college would be a good place to hide.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
New Orleans has just issued a statement to the public to not leave out Kool-Aide, chicken wings, or orange soda out in the open. They are attracted to these and will stop at nothing to get.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to get rid of these bees. Each one has 9 kids.

BigTony

Oct 4, 2004
Chocolate City ......... now with Honey!

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
just another example of why all blacks should be shot or kept as slaves........wait, what?