Africans are less intelligent than Westerners

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
By Cahal Milmo said:
Published: 17 October 2007

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners

Celebrated scientist attacked for race comments: "All our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really"

One of the world's most eminent scientists was embroiled in an extraordinary row last night after he claimed that black people were less intelligent than white people and the idea that "equal powers of reason" were shared across racial groups was a delusion.

James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in the unravelling of DNA who now runs one of America's leading scientific research institutions, drew widespread condemnation for comments he made ahead of his arrival in Britain today for a speaking tour at venues including the Science Museum in London.

The 79-year-old geneticist reopened the explosive debate about race and science in a newspaper interview in which he said Western policies towards African countries were wrongly based on an assumption that black people were as clever as their white counterparts when "testing" suggested the contrary. He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade.

The newly formed Equality and Human Rights Commission, successor to the Commission for Racial Equality, said it was studying Dr Watson's remarks " in full". Dr Watson told The Sunday Times that he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours – whereas all the testing says not really". He said there was a natural desire that all human beings should be equal but "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true".

rest of story under spoiler tag-
His views are also reflected in a book published next week, in which he writes: "There is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically. Our wanting to reserve equal powers of reason as some universal heritage of humanity will not be enough to make it so."

The furore echoes the controversy created in the 1990s by The Bell Curve, a book co-authored by the American political scientist Charles Murray, which suggested differences in IQ were genetic and discussed the implications of a racial divide in intelligence. The work was heavily criticised across the world, in particular by leading scientists who described it as a work of " scientific racism".

Dr Watson arrives in Britain today for a speaking tour to publicise his latest book, Avoid Boring People: Lessons from a Life in Science. Among his first engagements is a speech to an audience at the Science Museum organised by the Dana Centre, which held a discussion last night on the history of scientific racism.

Critics of Dr Watson said there should be a robust response to his views across the spheres of politics and science. Keith Vaz, the Labour chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee, said: "It is sad to see a scientist of such achievement making such baseless, unscientific and extremely offensive comments. I am sure the scientific community will roundly reject what appear to be Dr Watson's personal prejudices.

"These comments serve as a reminder of the attitudes which can still exists at the highest professional levels."

The American scientist earned a place in the history of great scientific breakthroughs of the 20th century when he worked at the University of Cambridge in the 1950s and 1960s and formed part of the team which discovered the structure of DNA. He shared the 1962 Nobel Prize for medicine with his British colleague Francis Crick and New Zealand-born Maurice Wilkins.

But despite serving for 50 years as a director of the Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory on Long Island, considered a world leader in research into cancer and genetics, Dr Watson has frequently courted controversy with some of his views on politics, sexuality and race. The respected journal Science wrote in 1990: "To many in the scientific community, Watson has long been something of a wild man, and his colleagues tend to hold their collective breath whenever he veers from the script."

In 1997, he told a British newspaper that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine it would be homosexual. He later insisted he was talking about a "hypothetical" choice which could never be applied. He has also suggested a link between skin colour and sex drive, positing the theory that black people have higher libidos, and argued in favour of genetic screening and engineering on the basis that " stupidity" could one day be cured. He has claimed that beauty could be genetically manufactured, saying: "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would great."

The Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory said yesterday that Dr Watson could not be contacted to comment on his remarks.

Steven Rose, a professor of biological sciences at the Open University and a founder member of the Society for Social Responsibility in Science, said: " This is Watson at his most scandalous. He has said similar things about women before but I have never heard him get into this racist terrain. If he knew the literature in the subject he would know he was out of his depth scientifically, quite apart from socially and politically."

Anti-racism campaigners called for Dr Watson's remarks to be looked at in the context of racial hatred laws. A spokesman for the 1990 Trust, a black human rights group, said: "It is astonishing that a man of such distinction should make comments that seem to perpetuate racism in this way. It amounts to fuelling bigotry and we would like it to be looked at for grounds of legal complaint."
elementary my dear Watson, elementary.

cal5000

Feb 14, 2007
"He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade."

So he has no proof--hes just a crazy old fuck talking shit.

Can we have ten years on the clock please?

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd Go.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
Even if he could prove that on average blacks were dumber than whites it doesn't mean that there isn't a schwoog out there who is smarter than the average honkey. What I'm getting at is you've still got to judge people as individuals. Unless they're in my neighborhood at night. Then color comes into play.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Even if he could prove that on average blacks were dumber than whites it doesn't mean that there isn't a schwoog out there who is smarter than the average honkey. What I'm getting at is you've still got to judge people as individuals. Unless they're in my neighborhood at night. Then color comes into play.
All he did was say that black majority nations shouldn't try to replicate western democracies since their lower intelligence prevents success. Instead they should come up with a system of government that works with thier average intelligence level. Sounds very realistic and honest to me.

Cunty McShitballs

Imagine, if you will...
Apr 4, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
"He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade."

So he has no proof--hes just a crazy old fuck talking shit.

Can we have ten years on the clock please?

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd Go.
HOLY FUCK! Do you not don't know who James Watson is? If this claim is true, it's from one of the most eminent scientists of the last 100 years.... hardly a crazy old fuck.

Cunty McShitballs

Imagine, if you will...
Apr 4, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
Seriously though. Aside from the political incorrectness of it all, why should this be surprising or immediately written off?

As he said, evolution while geographically separated caused us to develop differently. Why is 95% of the NBA/NFL black? Why do black people sing better than whites?

Like Jimmy says, it's only ok to point out differences when it is a positive difference.

Cunty McShitballs

Imagine, if you will...
Apr 4, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
And I'm not saying I agree or think he is correct, but his statement is grounded in solid scientific logic.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I guess that means I have to quit my corporate job and go back to work at kinko's… it's official that I'm not intelligent enough to be here!
FYI; this is where I work: www.lpk.com

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
when as a race they only like watermellon, banana's and fried chicken, you know they are dopes

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Africans are less intelligent than Westerners

Possibly the most obvious statement ever uttered.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Whether it's true or not - words hurt.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I guess that means I have to quit my corporate job and go back to work at kinko's… it's official that I'm not intelligent enough to be here!
FYI; this is where I work: www.lpk.com
He's talking averages and aggregates. His comment was in reference to government building.

MilkmanDan

Uncontrollable Urge
Jan 13, 2003
Philly
You put the stick into the termite nest, and the termites cling to it, then you eat them.
Whitey didnt come up with that !

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
All he did was say that black majority nations shouldn't try to replicate western democracies since their lower intelligence prevents success. Instead they should come up with a system of government that works with thier average intelligence level. Sounds very realistic and honest to me.
Got it. That's what I get for skimming the article. Anyway, this does give Robert Mugabe a good excuse to suspend future elections.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
"There is no firm reason to anticipate that the intellectual capacities of peoples geographically separated in their evolution should prove to have evolved identically."

Makes sense. If intelligence evolved separately and enough to make a significant difference, they're likely either smarter or dumber. Judging by the black human rights group immediately trying to remove his freedom of speech, I would also guess "dumber" if I had to choose.

I don't think the guy is racist. I think he's brutally honest and doesn't give a shit about being politically correct. The media loves taking the stuff he says out of context.

nataskaos

He's no good to me dead.
Jul 7, 2006
BFE
in other news -
The sun is hot.
Water is wet.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Celebrated scientist attacked for race comments: "All our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really"
I find something wrong with this whole concept, especially since I know black people who are far more intelligent than I.

And I'm wondering what kind of testing was used on the African people and against what group was it based. Yes, I know it says white people, but in most parts of Africa, it's the white people who are educated while the blacks are not. So by what criteria can you gauge the intelligence? It would almost seem like comparing apples with oranges.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I find something wrong with this whole concept, especially since I know black people who are far more intelligent than I.
That doesn't mean anything in regards to what this Watson guy said. He is talking about averages and aggregates, you are talking about specific people. He didn't say all white people are smarter than all black people, he said from a national perspective whites are smarter than blacks.

And I'm wondering what kind of testing was used on the African people and against what group was it based. Yes, I know it says white people, but in most parts of Africa, it's the white people who are educated while the blacks are not. So by what criteria can you gauge the intelligence? It would almost seem like comparing apples with oranges.
He might not have any facts to back up his statements, or he might have a lot. Unfortunately the article doesn't focus on that at all. Most likely there have been almost no real studies done on this issue recently, it is too controversial. Merely researching the subject will end your career, even if you avoid making any conclusions.

I don't want to assume what he suggested is true, but what I will say is that there is a good likelyhood that it is true.