Air Condition Help.....

circpro

No Complaints here
My Air condition doesn't seem to be cooling the house as it should. Everything is running but the air is not as cold as normal....

What are the possible problems/solutions?

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
1. Filters dirty?
2. Coils dirty

Is this central air?

-If it's central A/C he compressor outside may not be running.

-Check circuit breakers for a trip

-System may need refrigerant. If the compressor is running outside, feel the line-set (the copper lines going into the house) they should be cold and the compressor should be blowing warm air.

-Like JIE said, dirty coil

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
its usually dirt. not just the air filter but the intake. you have to open it up and brush out all the dirt. usually does the trick unless its actually something wrong with it.

circpro

No Complaints here
-If it's central A/C he compressor outside may not be running.

-Check circuit breakers for a trip

-System may need refrigerant. If the compressor is running outside, feel the line-set (the copper lines going into the house) they should be cold and the compressor should be blowing warm air.

-Like JIE said, dirty coil
Th unit is running and the circuit breaker was not tripped...

UPDATE: Watch as I turn into a water head... I have two small cooper lines going into the house that are not cold but one larger line that is insulated and it is cold. The compressor is blowing half-assed warm air....

Where would I find the coils and air filter?

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
I happen to be an absolute expert in this field.

The big line is the Suction Line. It should be cold to the point of sweating. Frost on this line is an indication of a dirty filter and reduced airflow on the inside fan.

The smaller line is the Liquid line. It should be warm to hot 110-140 Deg F. A very hot liquid line is an indicator of a plugged condenser coil (the big thing outside the house)

A mediocre warm liquid line (70 - 90) combined with a mediocre cool (not sweating) suction line is an indicator that either you're short on refrigerant or your compressor's not compressing much any more. Usually however, it's a leak.

You could have a mechanic come out and "Top You Off" which they're not supposed to do any more and it may last the summer.

You could however have a mechanic come out and leak test. They'll probably wack away at it for an hour or so and then tell you that your coil is "porous" and you need a new condensing unit. This is total bullshit. Tell them to find the leak or you're not paying. Refrigerant doesn't just "Fall Out" of a system, it needs a hole somwere to escape through.

Yes, I know. I rule.

JimsInfectedEye

You could however have a mechanic come out and leak test. They'll probably wack away at it for an hour or so and then tell you that your coil is "porous" and you need a new condensing unit. This is total bullshit. Tell them to find the leak or you're not paying. Refrigerant doesn't just "Fall Out" of a system, it needs a hole somwere to escape through.

Yes, I know. I rule.
I used to work for companies that pulled that shit. "Tell them they need a new condensing unit". But boss, its just a contactor. "Like your job? Tell 'em its got a big leak and we won't guarantee anything, but a new unit comes with blah blah blah....."

We had regular customers that we'd top off every summer. Not a one asked questions.

mud

Where would I find the coils and air filter?

This more then likely is your problem. Assuming you have been in the house awhile not knowing where the filter is not a good sign. If the suction line is ice cold i would guess plugged filter and the coil is dirty as well.

The compressor is blowing half-assed warm air....
Did it seem about the same as the outside air, should be hotter.

I would recommend checking filter and looking at indoor coil if able. If filter is dirty replace and make sure no ice on coil. If there is run the fan only and clear it. After that call a tech.

circpro

No Complaints here
As I said watch as the water head comes out.. I know where the filter but for some fucking reason I was thinking about something on the outside unit.. I suck

No need to check for negros... I live in an all white neighborhood........

I changed the filter and it seemed to help a bit but I discovered I do not have an attic fan.

Help me here: a car AC releases water and I am ASSuming this should be the case in a home? If so I don't see any water releasing..... I do see tubing that could be used for water return....

Would an attic fan help reduce the work load on the unit? I am having my AC guy from work come out Monday.....not that he would screw but I want to be less ignorant on this topic when he does...

Again, thanks boys...

mud

There will be a drain (most likely pvc pipe) and it could go to a # of different places. Don't know what the humidity is like there but that will affect how much water comes out.

also sometimes there is a second pipe located in a obvious spot thats a secondary drain like an overflow pan. That pipe wont have any water coming out unless there is problem. Not sure how things are done in that area. Here everything has secondary drains, In NY i saw mostly float switches to shut units off if water filled up.

JimsInfectedEye

Your central air unit will remove humidity from the air. As mud states, there will most likely be a plastic PVC drain pipe coming from the inside unit. It'll either drain into your basement drain, or into a condensate pump, which will pump the water into your main drains. You may not have enough humidity in your location to see any water draining.

If you happen to have a little thermometer handy, try checking the temperature blowing out of your vents.

highway23

I miss NY wings
I still can't turn on the air in 2 of my rooms...

fucking can't find the valves up in the 120 degree attic...

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
It's got a leak. Plain and simple. Any of the other AC-Techs or Former AC-Techs in this thread will agree to that I believe. Just feel the lines outside and read my first post in this thread.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
It's got a leak. Plain and simple. Any of the other AC-Techs or Former AC-Techs in this thread will agree to that I believe. Just feel the lines outside and read my first post in this thread.
i have to agree, another test is if you can get to the coils in the A frame feel them to see if there "cool" yet not cold, i would bet on a leak at one of the joints made during the install.