Air Force offering $225,000 signing on bonus for new pilots

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Warning: Daily Fail

U.S. Air Force suffers brain drain as Top Guns drop out to fly drones - leaving pilot numbers down by SEVEN HUNDRED

By James Nye

PUBLISHED: 19:06 EST, 22 July 2013 | UPDATED: 19:58 EST, 22 July 2013

The U.S. Air Force is struggling to keep its top gun combat pilots as increasing numbers move to the safety of flying attack drones from military bases.

Indeed, despite their adrenaline fueled reputations, fighter pilots believe the stresses of actual combat compared to the financial incentives of flying passenger airlines or drones are too much too ignore.

Facing a shortfall of 700 pilots from a required pool of 3,000 by 2021, the Air Force is now actively offering a huge $225,000 signing on bonus for new pilots - provided you stay in the service for nine years.

Fighter Pilot Shortfall: Two U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor stealth jet fighters fly near Andersen Air Force Base

This year alone, the Air Force has a shortfall of 200 pilots among its ranks, as the surge in demand for better paid commercial jobs and reassignments to fly combat drones impacts and reshapes modern warfare.

Officers in the Air Force are aware of this issue according to the LA Times and as a result are beefing up their Aviator Retention Program which will offer a $25,000 signing bonus per year over the course of nine years.

'Were it not for the program, there would be a greater problem that the one we currently have,' said Lt. Col. Kurt Konopatzke.

'Senior leadership is aware of the problem and is very concerned.'

Comfort of an Office Chair: Pilots operate drones over the skies of Afghanistan from a U.S. military base in Germany in 2009

Just twenty years ago, 80 percent of Air Force pilots chose to remain in the service after their tenth year - that number has now failed to 65 percent.

With the $400 billion F-35 Joint Strike Fighter entering service over the next decade, pilots are desperately needed.

However, while most pilots working into the second decade at the Air Force earn around $90,000, pilots and even flight engineers at commercial airlines earn at least six-figures.

While the Air Force has faced this issue before, the worry for the top brass stems from a Boeing Co. report that said that globally, 460,000 pilots are needed in the commercial sectors.

Currently there are only 71,000 active airlines pilots in the United States.

US Airways and American are anticipating the retirement of more than 2,100 pilots within five years because of the mandatory retirement age of 65.

The Future: An X-47B pilot-less drone combat aircraft is prepared for launch from the deck of the USS George H. W. Bush aircraft carrier in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Norfolk, Virginia, on July 10th of this year

'The airlines are going to have more money to pay for pilots than the government,' said Rob Streble, 52, secretary and treasurer for the US Airline Pilots Assn., a labor union that represents US Airways pilots.

'The military is difficult on the family with all the moving around,' he said. 'I added more stability by joining the airline.'

Of greater concern is the number of experienced pilots who can act as trainers for new ones.

With less veteran pilots, there are less trainers.

The growth in drone and drone pilots has led to large numbers of fighter pilots shifting jobs from a dangerous supersonic cockpit to the comfort and safety of a desk.

Drones went from being a handful of aircraft on Sept. 11 to the 'fastest growing part of the force,' said Peter W. Singer, author of 'Wired for War,' a book about robotic warfare.

$600 Billion Program: The U.S. Marine Corps version of Lockheed Martin's F35 Joint Strike Fighter, F-35B test aircraft BF-2 flies with external weapons for the first time over Maryland on February 22nd, 2012

In all since the beginning of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq last decade, 153 experienced pilots have been reassigned.

Recognizing this, the Air Force has decided to stop offering this to established and trained pilots.

'We have in the past used fighter pilots in RPA assignments but have largely shifted away from that process and are now training pilots specific to the RPA mission,' said Konopatzke, the Air Force lieutenant colonel. 'This goes back to the fact that we recognize the shortage in fighter pilots.'

However, at the end of the day, a choice between long and stressful hours or less and better pay is just too attractive.

'People have no idea how hard it is when you have to move your family all the time,' said former F-15 pilot, John Wigle. 'Military life is not for everyone.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rones-safety-bases-instead.html#ixzz2ZsExMP6K
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
We need another movie with shirtless heartthrobs playing volleyball on a beach to convince new recruits to sign up.

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
Here's proof we are a nation of faggots. We have to bribe people to come fly FIGHTER JETS!

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Although I'm sure there's some truth to it, I don't believe the article. The Daily Mail has no credibility... and shit-poor grammar.
that number has now failed to 65 percent.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The main problem is finding candidates that can fit in the planes. A nation of fatsos can not fly in fighter planes.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
The main problem is finding candidates that can fit in the planes. A nation of fatsos can not fly in fighter planes.
Why not? Maybe the cockpits need to be bigger so a larger fellow might fit.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Why not? Maybe the cockpits need to be bigger so a larger fellow might fit.

Most of the aircraft are built to exact specifications. Enlarging them for fatsos is highly unlikely, sir.

Also, you need to have a high understanding of math. Plus, everyone knows math, reading & writing is for faggots.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
So start making new ones eventually that can handle more than the AIDSiest of horse jockeys.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
And eyesight is super important, too. Knew a guy who had 20/10 vision and almost didn't get his pilot slot at the USAF academy because he didn't list it properly.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Here's proof we are a nation of faggots. We have to bribe people to come fly FIGHTER JETS!
I'm sure plenty of people want to fly fighter jets. It's just that it's very hard to qualify for the job. The people who do have the skills to fly them can also qualify jobs that pay over $200.000/year. At that point, as much fun as flying around in a jetplane may be, you have to think of your future, your family, your kids' college and your eventual retirement.

So just fucking cut two paper pushers for every pilot, and give the pilot their salaries. As a bonus, the pilot should also get the option to facefuck them before they leave.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
there's no fucking way they are gonna go through with those signing bonuses. We can't even get a fucking budget going. Departments and Agencies are slashing their budgets left and right. It's pretty much trying to get blood from a stone at this point and we're supposed to believe they're going to come up with that much money to backfill slots for pilots retiring or leaving. I was in ARMY ROTC (yes, Playpen Army) when I was in college. I became decent friends at the time with a Master Sergeant and one of our Lieutenants and I'll never forget when they first told me "Fuck This Place" and also "If it sounds too good to be true, If the recruiters are promising you shit left and right, its most likely bullshit." Even if there a line of contingencies (gotta do a 20 year career, complete and maintain all requirements) I still see them finding a way to fuck you whether it is budget reasons or something else.

I should've went to the Marines.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
there's no fucking way they are gonna go through with those signing bonuses. We can't even get a fucking budget going.
The f-35 program costs $400 BILLION. 1/4 of $1 million? Lol.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Drone piloting shouldn't be cutting into fighter pilots at all. Drones should be flown by fat nerds that are good at video games like me. No way someone who could actually fly an F-35 should be allowed to fly drones instead.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
And eyesight is super important, too. Knew a guy who had 20/10 vision and almost didn't get his pilot slot at the USAF academy because he didn't list it properly.
And everyone has diabetes and poor eye sight these days. Damn corn subsidies.

Why do they even need pilots? Its not like they ever attack a country that has a real military. Do they really need pilots to take out 25$ worth of patio furniture, some monkey bars, and a couple kids?

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
And everyone has diabetes and poor eye sight these days. Damn corn subsidies.

Why do they even need pilots? Its not like they ever attack a country that has a real military. Do they really need pilots to take out 25$ worth of patio furniture, some monkey bars, and a couple kids?
You are pretty fucking dense.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Drone piloting shouldn't be cutting into fighter pilots at all. Drones should be flown by fat nerds that are good at video games like me. No way someone who could actually fly an F-35 should be allowed to fly drones instead.
Yeah, the smarter and better qualified someone is, the less likely it is for "you're not allowed to do that" to work as intended. The golden rule is: can't give control someone who's better than you. Military or no military, it still applies. Being in the military doesn't make someone a slave. "follow orders" applies to the battlefield and training, it doesn't mean people should also just be ordered around in their career choices.

If you're gonna start telling a fighter pilot that he's too good for the job of his choice (a job that makes him an active participant in the battle against Islamic terror - the reason he joined the military in the first place), and he has to fly around fighter jets that are only useful against a competent air force we're not at war with, nor are we likely to be at war with in the near future, that's gonna be his cue to find an employer who recognizes him as a competent, thinking human being instead of just a tool, and rewards achievement with the best job available.

Again: if you want to have the best people do a job for you, pay better than anyone else, and let them come to you. You can't force them to do it. You can push around some dumb slob all day, but if you try the same tactic with a guy who has been selected for the job precisely because he's intelligent, determined and single minded, it's not gonna work. He's gonna want control over his own life. He'll of course follow orders in battle better than anyone else (because he is smart and knows what purpose orders serve in that situation), but, as far as career moves, he's not gonna be your slave. Try to make him one and he'll fight back.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Also, this notion that somehow drones are morally inferior to fighter jets, because the pilot's life is not in danger, is retarded beyond belief.

Anyone who defines morality and courage by your willingness to needlessly risk your life is just dumb. We're at war. We're at war with an enemy willing to die, just for the opportunity to kill us. The moral and courageous thing to do is to look at the situation objectively, and act to defeat the enemy.

The way to defeat this enemy is by killing them without giving them the chance to fight back in any way. Without US leadership gifting them American soldiers to drag around in the streets and hang from bridges, eventually they'll lose the will to fight.

Someone willing to do that by flying drones is more of a hero than some asshole who'd rather fight it out with bayonets in the name of some artificial sense of morality that he accepts because he doesn't have the courage to think for himself.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Also, this notion that somehow drones are morally inferior to fighter jets, because the pilot's life is not in danger, is retarded beyond belief.
The way to win is not to die for your country, it's to make the other guy die for your country.

sniper2323

The true north Idaho P.O.W.
Aug 3, 2006
Far North Idaho is Home
Ok, I will get flamed for this, want more pilots? Quit requiring college to be a pilot. When I was in, PhD in basket weaving, "well you sir, can be a officer, and maybe a pilot". Meanwhile a high school graduate can work on the engines, weapon systems, sensors, etc. If this same high school graduate would have gone to college, they could qualify to become a pilot. Again, old school thoughts, but really think about it.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston

if you set aside the fact that he's a little on the conspiracy side...this is a hilarious line...