Air Force Unit Removes 'God' From Logo

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Air Force Removes 'God' From Logo: Rep. J. Randy Forbes Leads Objection To This Move

First Posted: 02/ 8/2012 5:35 pm Updated: 02/ 9/2012 11:46 am

(RNS) Dozens of members of Congress are upset that the Air Force has removed the Latin word for "God" from the logo of an Air Force acquisitions office.

Led by Rep. J. Randy Forbes, co-chairman of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, 36 lawmakers Monday (Feb. 6) sent a letter to Air Force Secretary Michael Donley and Air Force Chief of Staff General Norton Schwartz objecting to the removal of "God" from the logo of the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office (RCO).

The logo was recently removed, according to Forbes, after objections by the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers.

Jason Torpy, president of the association, said the word "God" had no place in the logo because not all members of the military are religious. "We just hope (the Air Force) can provide more equal opportunities for atheists and humanists in the military."

"The action taken by the RCO suggests that all references to God, regardless of their context, must be removed from the military," the congressional letter states. "We ask that you reverse this perplexing decision."

According to the lawmakers, all members of the bipartisan prayer caucus, the RCO patch logo previously included the motto "Opus Dei Cum Pecunia Alienum Efficemus" (Doing God's Work with Other People's Money), an inside joke among RCO members. Caucus members say it was changed to "Miraculi Cum Pecunia Alienum Efficemus" (Doing Miracles with Other People's Money).

The letter argues that "courts consistently have upheld the constitutionality of our national motto, 'In God We Trust,' despite the obvious mention of God."

"Obviously the Constitution doesn't treat God like a dirty word," said Luke Goodrich, deputy general counsel of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty. "Religion is a part of this history."

A representative for the Air Force could not be reached for comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/..._n_1263665.html?ref=religion&icid=maing-grid7

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
They are outraged because the word God stopped being used in the context of a joke? Head assplode.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
You'd think they'd want God on their side. You know, since they're up there right next door to heaven.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Your average person is not even going to know what it says, but they'll certainly snicker at the 'cum' part.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
First this is kind of a pompous saying "Doing God's work with other people's money." Eww
Also, I bet they have no idea that these patches are in no way a representation of official military policy. One of the squadrons that I was in had the motto "The party moose is on the loose."

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Cat iz best alkoholic

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Jason Torpy, president of the association, said the word "God" had no place in the logo because not all members of the military are religious.
This is what I don't get, why are the feelings of atheists more important than the feelings of religious?

Its just like the California schools that suspend kids for wearing American flag shirts because it may offend foreigners. Why are the feelings of the foreigners more important?

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
This is what I don't get, why are the feelings of atheists more important than the feelings of religious?

Its just like the California schools that suspend kids for wearing American flag shirts because it may offend foreigners. Why are the feelings of the foreigners more important?
Because everyone in America is entitled to be treated equal. Sucks huh?

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Because everyone in America is entitled to be treated equal. Sucks huh?
You miss the point again. You're not treating the religious folks equal and your not treating the kids with the American flags equal. You are putting the atheists above the religious and the foreigners above the kids with flags.

Its the same with Christmas, some atheist gets offended at an airport because Christmas decorations are up so they decide to offend the Christians instead and take down the decorations. Why is it ok to offend the Christians but not the atheists?

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
It's about levelling the playing field so everyone is 'equal' no matter the cost. Easter Eggs are now Summer Spheres. Goes from there.

It's not about Atheism. It's about letting the Minority have the loudest voice.

So no, I've not missed the point, Silly troll.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
You miss the point again. You're not treating the religious folks equal and your not treating the kids with the American flags equal. You are putting the atheists above the religious and the foreigners above the kids with flags.

Its the same with Christmas, some atheist gets offended at an airport because Christmas decorations are up so they decide to offend the Christians instead and take down the decorations. Why is it ok to offend the Christians but not the atheists?
Holy shit, I actually agree with you.

Shocking considering I'm not a religious man but I see no harm
in people expressing their love for their invisible savior.

Atheists are as stupid as religious zealots and fuck people that want
to live here but don't want to assimilate into American culture.

Cleon

Ya blew it
Sep 17, 2010

Atheists might get offended at the mention of God in there, but Christians wont get offended at the absence of God. It's just choosing the best option.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Atheists might get offended at the mention of God in there, but Christians wont get offended at the absence of God. It's just choosing the best option.
True but putting it in there and then removing it because a few people complained is what offends the Christians. Why put up Christmas decorations at the airport if you are just going to fold to the first atheist that complains? Just don't put up the decorations at all.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
It's where my girlfriend learned how to smelt unobtanium dammit.
Tell that bitch to get to work already. HK still charges an arm and a leg for their stuff, all because your girlfriend isn't smelting fast enough.