Airline apologizes after quadriplegic forced off flight

sniper2323

The true north Idaho P.O.W.
Aug 3, 2006
Far North Idaho is Home
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/21/us-airline-quadriplegic-idUSTRE75K03E20110621

John Morris, a 24-year-old college student from Fort Collins, Colorado, was removed from the jet after the pilot determined that a seat belt extension, normally used for large passengers, was inadequate to restrain Morris.

"We're sorry for the incident and are investigating its handling," the airline said in a statement.

"In this situation we had a well-intentioned pilot who was seeking to do the right thing to ensure the safety and compliance of all involved."

Morris could not be reached for comment, but told Denver's ABC-TV affiliate that he felt humiliated.

He was accompanied on the flight by his mother, Kathleen, who told the television station the pilot never left the cockpit to assess the situation.

"He (the pilot) was not willing to come back and talk to John," she said.

Morris, who was left a quadriplegic by a snowboarding accident five years ago, returned to Colorado on Sunday aboard a later Frontier flight.

Mike Fergus, spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said in general individual pilots can exercise wide discretion on safety issues.

"The basic rule is that the pilot has complete authority over all aspects of the aircraft,' he said.

Frontier said it is investigating the incident.

"We will be taking the steps necessary to ensure clarity on the policies so that the situation is not repeated," the airline said. "Once the investigation is concluded, we will be sharing the outcome with the family involved."
Not a smart move.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Insufficient info for an informed opinion. How fat was he the he needed an extension?
Why wasn't it adequate? Could he not properly sit in the seat? Very vague story.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Was he a quadriplegic amputee? That'd make a little sense.

Agrees with me.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Do they have to use the extension as extra support since he doesn't have control of the muscles that would allow him to remain upright in the seat with just the normal belt? Sort of like a makeshift harness?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Good. Go be quadriplegic somewhere else.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Was he too big to fit in the overhead bins?

Jan 9, 2006
Delmar, NY
He was accompanied on the flight by his mother, Kathleen, who told the television station the pilot never left the cockpit to assess the situation.

"He (the pilot) was not willing to come back and talk to John," she said.
I may be wrong, but I think the pilot has other more important things to do. He had to make a quick call based on the information given in order to insure the safety of your son. You should be thanking him.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Need more details but you know if something happened had the pilot just said no big deal there would be a lawsuit. Better to be safe than oh well you know.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
snowboarding accident? quadriplegic? tough shit.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
He should be set adrift in a hot air balloon and ridiculed until he's out of earshot of any available bullhorn.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
snowboarding accident? quadriplegic? tough shit.
Yes, both of the above... yet it was the airline that embarrassed him. Fuck him. The last thing they need is to hit turbulence and have rollerboy smashing all over the cabin.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Yes, both of the above... yet it was the airline that embarrassed him. Fuck him. The last thing they need is to hit turbulence and have rollerboy smashing all over the cabin.
LOL! Clappy hands. :clap::clap::clap:

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
No, but the damage he could do while pinballing the economy class seats would probably result in a hell of a lot more quads rolling out at the end of the flight.
they have working arms and legs. they can dodge him. fucking lazy able bodied people.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
No, but the damage he could do while pinballing the economy class seats would probably result in a hell of a lot more quads rolling out at the end of the flight.
they have working arms and legs. they can dodge him. fucking lazy able bodied people.