Movie Akira, live action green-light for May 21, 2021

So the main leads they were thinking for the movie were Valerian, Michael Pitt, and Captain Hook.
I'd watch that movie, but I've been a fan of Hook since his off broadway days.

Even during the dark times of the Pan boy allegations, I stuck by him!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
So the main leads they were thinking for the movie were Valerian, Michael Pitt, and Captain Hook. Charisma overload!
You'll be happy to know that no white people will be in Taika Waititi's Akira. Which likely means Taika Waititi's Akira will never be made.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/10/taika-waititi-on-akira-movie-rumors-and-whitewashing-concerns

"I actually love the books. Love the movie, but I would not do a remake of the movie. I would do an adaptation of the books," Waititi said, adding, "And, yeah, so anyway there's been some chats [about him directing it]."

Back in 2011, several white actors -- including Kristen Stewart, Dane DeHaan, and Garrett Hedlund -- had been attached to star in an incarnation of a live-action Akira movie that eventually fell apart. With the growing awareness of and backlash against Hollywood's long penchant for "whitewashing" casting of stories featuring Asian characters, many fans have been concerned that will happen again if a live-action Akira movie does ever happen. But when asked if he would cast Asian leads, Waititi insisted that he would ... IF he does end up directing Akira.

"Yeah. actually Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me and probably no, not, like no name, I mean sort of unfound, untapped talent. Yeah, I'd probably want to take it a bit back more towards the books." Waititi later added that he meant "all" the books in the six-volume manga series.

Pigdango

Donator
Sorry, friend. Against all odds, this thing is still on:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...s-1198716?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

With the assistance of an $18.5 million tax credit, the Warner Bros. release, which is not yet cast, is scheduled to shoot entirely in California over the course of 71 filming days, even though the futuristic film is set in Tokyo in the year 2060.

I have no interest in Akira, but I might just see this to pay tribute to Leonardo DiCaprio's stick-tuitiveness. Dude has been pursuing this for over a decade.

Someone better contact Neon and tell him the leads not gonna be an Asian guy.

When most of his girlfriends were in 2nd grade.
Hot

Death Wish Daughter was 10 years old when DiCaprio first signed this deal.
Hotter

She was 7 months old when Titanic came out.

Voodoo Ben

The African Dream
Expect the usual people demanding that the cast be diverse.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Expect the usual people demanding that the cast be diverse.
Like the people who understand how much of the story has cultural elements that don't really translate as proven in every other anime adaptation?

I blame @Neon and @DR. Jimcy M.E. and anyone else who prefers the Ghost In The Shell anime to the live action remake. Scar Jo is white god damn it and therefore better!

LiddyRules

Most Japanese would probably agree with you....Japanese is racist...which is why I love them.
They don't think she's better better, they think she's sex pillow better.

Like most white people.

We're not so different you and I.

Neon

ネオン
Like the people who understand how much of the story has cultural elements that don't really translate as proven in every other anime adaptation?

I blame @Neon and @DR. Jimcy M.E. and anyone else who prefers the Ghost In The Shell anime to the live action remake. Scar Jo is white god damn it and therefore better!
Ghost in the Shell made me actually angry.

Neon

ネオン
Death Note was unwatchable.
Couldn't finish it. And the anime is so fucking good. At least until The Big Thing happens and then the rest isn't as good but still good.

LiddyRules

Couldn't finish it. And the anime is so fucking good. At least until The Big Thing happens and then the rest isn't as good but still good.
Death Note is actually the only anime I've ever watched in its entirety. Mostly because of the ease of Netflix. But yeah, I tried with the live action movie and eesh.

As soon as he starts working with the cops I lost interest. I loved those first few episodes where he's going around murdering people.

Discoman

Donator
Maybe they will do the whole manga for this, I'd be surprised if they limited themselves to just one film. Was that script that was supposedly leaked years ago attached to Dicaprio's production?

Maybe they will do the whole manga for this, I'd be surprised if they limited themselves to just one film. Was that script that was supposedly leaked years ago attached to Dicaprio's production?
If this is anything like the other manga based movies. They'll cram in as much shit from the comics as humanly possible to create a chaotic mess that no one will enjoy.

Pigdango

Donator
@SOS guess what? Against all odds, this movie has...a release date!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/akira-movie-release-date-set-sets-may-2021-1213499

Taika Waititi's Akira now has a release date.

The adaptation of the classic manga will open May 21, 2021, Warner Bros. announced Friday. Akira is set to open opposite Lionsgate's John Wick: Chapter 4. Earlier this week, Warner Bros. moved its animated movie DC Super Pets off of the weekend, pushing it back a year to 2022.

Not sure how wise it is to release this in the summer, nor how wise it is to go up against John Wick 4, but I'm sure one of them will move. Probably Akira, because it's never getting made.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
@SOS guess what? Against all odds, this movie has...a release date!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/akira-movie-release-date-set-sets-may-2021-1213499

Taika Waititi's Akira now has a release date.

The adaptation of the classic manga will open May 21, 2021, Warner Bros. announced Friday. Akira is set to open opposite Lionsgate's John Wick: Chapter 4. Earlier this week, Warner Bros. moved its animated movie DC Super Pets off of the weekend, pushing it back a year to 2022.

Not sure how wise it is to release this in the summer, nor how wise it is to go up against John Wick 4, but I'm sure one of them will move. Probably Akira, because it's never getting made.
If this does happen, I wonder what the chances of that Robotech movie are.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
"So, should we come up with an original idea?"

"Nah, too much work. What does Japan got?"

"Ummmm.....Google says this 'Akira' thing is popular."

"Fine, that sounds good."

"But what the fuck is an 'Akira'?"

"Who gives a shit? Just film it."