Akira, live action green-light

NikkorTheMonk

Take it for what it's worth. Not a project a newcomer to procution should be taking on, IMO.

I did a search and didnt see anyone else on this, but if there is, please delete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Live-Action Akira Films Greenlit, Leonardo DiCaprio Producing, Possibly Will Star
Posted on Wednesday, February 20th, 2008 at 7:55 pm by: Hunter Stephenson

What a strange day for Warner Bros. First, rumors explode today that they’re giving the heave-ho to Spike Jonze’s Where the Wild Things Are, and now word arrives that they’ve greenlit two ambitious live-action films based on the landmark Japanese manga and anime Akira, with Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way producing. Mere rumor is he may star as the lead character, Kaneda, in the franchise, which will be set in New Manhattan, “a new metropolis rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years earlier.” The first film is being fast tracked for summer 2009.

After months of speculation, young Irish director Ruairi Robinson (pronounced Raw-Ree) will direct. We’ve included two of his rather violent, trippy, head-shot lovin’ short films, Fifty Percent Grey and The Silent City, below, so as for you to get acquainted. Variety reports that the filmmakers pitched the flicks as “Blade Runner meets City of God,” which is a modestly fitting description for the 1988 film, a kinetic, dystopian vision where young motorcycle gangs roam Neo-Tokyo (rather than New Manhattan) post-nuclear war and all hell breaks loose when one is exposed to a government experiment, thus gaining menacing powers.

The second article ive seen on the subject.

Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira (Update 2)
posted on 2008-02-20 17:45 EST
Two films planned, with first film scheduled for Summer 2009 release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hollywood Reporter and Variety entertainment trade periodicals both report that Warner Brothers and Appian Way, the production company of actor Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, The Aviator), will adapt Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga into two live-action films. Each film will cover three volumes of the renowned science-fiction manga about a governmental genetic project and a teenager's attempt to save a fellow biker gang member.

The manga set in Neo-Tokyo, a city rebuilt after being destroyed in a mysterious explosion. Otomo directed his own animated film adaptation that premiered on July 16, 1988 — the same day that the story has the fictional Tokyo being destroyed. The first live-action film is scheduled for release in the summer of 2009 and will move the story's setting to "'New Manhattan,' a city rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago."

Ireland's Ruairi Robinson will be making his feature directorial debut with this project, and Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) is writing a script. Warner Brothers once had the film rights for Akira before, but Executive Vice-President Greg Silverman (300, Batman Begins) had to re-acquire them from Kodansha after a round of pitched bidding that reached seven figures. Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar, DiCaprio, and Appian Way's Jennifer Davisson will produce. No announcement has been made regarding the cast.

daemoncel

why in ny? the movie was perfectly set in Tokyo and made sense there.

silentbob8201

wow an adaption of an adaption of a comic book book from Japan ugh fuck this.

ratedRsuperstar

...when McCainia runs wild on you!!!!
MississippiGulfCoast. KATRINA WAS A CUNT!
i loved the original anime, one of the better ones, especially because it was kind of "groundbreaking" visually for the time.

i've always wanted to see, not necessarily live-action, but and updated version. perhaps cgi like FFVII- advent children or more recently beowolf.

changing it to an americanized version, set in ny just sounds shitty.

to the final battle between tetsuo and the army could visually look really good if done right. and they have to give him his "cape"

i will be kind-of psyched to see a working version of kaneda's bike though.

NikkorTheMonk

It exists and does work.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Question..wasn't Akira about Teens/20 ish kids?

sobi

this movie is a fail on so many levels, well...

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
There's no way this isn't going to suck, right?

NikkorTheMonk

One of the things that throws me off on this is there is a video for Kanye West's song, Stronger. It's way to close to being a real movie version that he clipped up for his song.
It's totally Japanese. Look like more then just a rapper homage'.

Darth Mode

You went over my helmet?!
Seems doomed from the start.

thekidslepthere

I don't know if this seems doomed from the start.

I think saying that it's coming out next summer seems a little bit too ambitious. Especially with the possibility of a SAG strike this summer. You'd think there's tons of special effects to do for this and those take a lot of time.

I'm hoping for the best.

Darth Mode

You went over my helmet?!

I think saying that it's coming out next summer seems a little bit too ambitious. Especially with the possibility of a SAG strike this summer. You'd think there's tons of special effects to do for this and those take a lot of time.

I'm hoping for the best.
When I said doomed, I meant Leo DiCaprio. Doesn't seem right.

thekidslepthere

When I said doomed, I meant Leo DiCaprio. Doesn't seem right.
I'm still not positive he's acting in this.

He is trying to move into the producer role on a bunch of projects. I know he got the rights to "World War Z" which was a pretty big scoop.

It's like Brad Pitt with his Plan B productions where he's producing movies he is not in.

sobi

I'm hoping for the best.

Don't hold your breath. I've been hearing lots of internet speculation that the budget is fairly low. The only way to make this movie work is with insane CGI. To convey the bat-shit crazy scenes that the original anime film had. This is going to be a bomb of epic proportions.

thekidslepthere

Don't hold your breath. I've been hearing lots of internet speculation that the budget is fairly low. The only way to make this movie work is with insane CGI. To convey the bat-shit crazy scenes that the original anime film had. This is going to be a bomb of epic proportions.
I don't buy the internet speculation. This movie is really taking the place of Justice League, for Warner Brothers as a summer tent pole project. They had every intention to put a lot of money into that for the film budget and for the promotion, why are we to expect they wouldn't do the same for this? Luckily they figured out that script was horrible, hopefully this one will be better. Read any article about it, they already spent millions just to re-acquire the rights to it.

I was wrong earlier, they haven't cast the lead yet, but they are meeting with quality young actors like Joseph Levitt and Paul Dano, I'd take that as a good sign.

I'm going to hope for the best. It's really easy to go shit talk a project before the script has been released or a single frame has been shot.

I am friendly with a guy who just got hired to write and direct a movie based on a certain HBO series that involved puppets from like twenty years ago. He was saying that no matter what he does he's doomed to have a large percentage of people hate it, it's just what happens when you take one of these projects on. I think it's the same going on with Akira right now.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
BUMP! Back on! Still being produced by DiCaprio, but now with SOA/Daredevil writer Marco J Ramirez tackling the screenplay

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/daredevil-showrunner-write-akira-adaptation-799880

JUNE 08, 2015 4:21pm PT by Borys Kit

'Daredevil' Showrunner to Write 'Akira' Adaptation for Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
Marco J. Ramirez, the 'Sons of Anarchy' scribe who will oversee the second season of 'Daredevil,' will adapt the manga classic.

Warner Bros. is revving up the engines again for Akira.

Marco J. Ramirez, the scribe who will be co-showrunning the second season of Netflix’s Daredevil, will write Akira, the Warner Bros. long-in-the-works adaptation of the Japanese manga classic.

Andrew Lazar (American Sniper) and Leonardo DiCaprio’s shingle Appian Way are producing the adaptation, which has faced plenty of ups and downs since Warners acquired the rights to the manga in 2008. While numerous writers, directors and stars darted to and from the project, the closest it came to getting made was in 2012 when Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter were in various stages of dealmaking.

Jaume Collet-Serra was to direct when the plug was pulled and the Vancouver facilities closed due to casting, script and budget issues.

The original manga, which ran throughout the 1980s, was set in a post-nuclear apocalypse of Neo-Tokyo and told of two brothers, both in biker gangs, who find themselves pitted against each other when one begins abusing his newly acquired telekinetic powers.

Ramirez, repped by UTA, cut his teeth on shows such as Sons of Anarchy and Da Vinci’s Demons (on which he also was producer) before writing episodes for Daredevil’s first season. From there, he graduated to run the second season with Doug Petrie, taking over from Steven DeKnight.

Drew Crevello and Nik Mavinkurve are overseeing Akira for Warners.

Pigdango

Donator
BUMP!! Back on AGAIN!!! Leonardo DiCaprio is STILL producing, but they may have finally found their director in Thor Ragnarok's Taika Waititi!!!!

https://deadline.com/2017/09/akira-taika-waititi-director-thor-ragnarok-1202173164/

Akira is revving back up, with Warner Bros negotiating with Taika Waititi, the New Zealand-born director and actor who helmed Thor: Ragnarok. Pic is a live action version of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. Mad Chance’s Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson. The picture has been a big priority since Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures acquired it for 7-figures from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has always been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.

The picture got close several times. Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby and Book of Eli scribe Gary Whitta wrote a script which originally had Ruairi Robinson aboard to direct. The Hughes Brothers and Jaume Collet-Serra were among the filmmakers who sparked to it. It got closest to a start date several years ago, until it closed the Vancouver production office, the studio let lapse test options deals it had with Dane DeHaan and Michael Pitt,. who had been competing for the lead role of Tetsuo, and were going to star alongside Garrett Hedlund, Kristin Stewart, and potentially Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter. It halted.

Waititi’s booked next to direct Jojo Rabbit, a WWII dramedy that is set up at Fox Searchlight with a spring start date. Waititi wrote the script. CAA and Manage-ment rep him.

That's not a real name for a white guy. This is some sort of scam this man is running and its up to me and a half-Mexican to stop him.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
the studio let lapse test options deals it had with Dane DeHaan and Michael Pitt,. who had been competing for the lead role of Tetsuo, and were going to star alongside Garrett Hedlund, Kristin Stewart, and potentially Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter. It halted.
So the main leads they were thinking for the movie were Valerian, Michael Pitt, and Captain Hook. Charisma overload!

Pigdango

Donator
So the main leads they were thinking for the movie were Valerian, Michael Pitt, and Captain Hook. Charisma overload!
Don't forget Kristen Stewart. Also, big news coming in on a possible #WhedonedIt

Top Bottom