OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Al-Queda tries to blow up U.S. bound jet.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by the Streif, May 7, 2012.

1. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

U.S. counterterrorism official: U.S., international intelligence agencies foil attempt to blow up a U.S.-bound jetliner.

Just on CNN right now.

No link just yet.

2. the Streif

Donator

My thread title stinks!!! Stupid cut and paste edit!

3. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Obviously a TSA psyop.

4. the Streif

Donator

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/07/official-attempt-to-blow-up-u-s-bound-plane-thwarted/?hpt=hp_t1

5. caniseeyourtaint

caniseeyourtaint Passive agressive douche

Yet you sheeple and trendypaths believe the government when they say you are now safe from al-ciaeda. When will the slaves learn.

6. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

It's just an 0bama power grab.

More fear = more taxes for the illuminati.

7. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

This would've been an epic act of terrorism. Millions.. if not, billions, of innocent lives were saved. 9/11 times 11.

8. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Obama didn't waste time wagging the dog to avoid all that bad press from his fake girlfriend story.

9. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Hey, remember that CIA assessment about Al-Qaeda being unable to carry out 9/11-type attacks from last week? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they didn't mean they were unable to because they would get stopped. Oops.

10. MayrMeninoCrash

To be fair, blowing up one plane with trunks full of C-4 hardly approaches "a 9-11-type" attack. That's more of a Pan Am 103 type attack.

11. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

It is much, much harder than a 9/11-type attack. Those people only needed to get box cutters on the plane.

Don't be daft, if they meant it like you are implying, then basically they are saying: "9/11 can't happen again because it happened once so now we will see it coming," which is even more retarded than what I am saying they said, which is that Al-Qaeda no longer has the wherewithal to carry out a serious large scale terrorist attack. Blowing up a U.S.-bound plane with C-4 is absolutely that, especially if you detonate it over, say, a fucking city. Hell, you blow up a 747-400 over the ocean and you kill almost double the amount that died in the Pentagon on 9/11.

12. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

getting my popcorn ready for what kirk has to say about this

13. MayrMeninoCrash

A 9/11-type hijacking would be extremely difficult to pull off nowadays, especially with a domestic airliner. Not only are screenings much more controlled (TSA conspiracies notwithstanding), but there are armored cockpit doors and potential air marshalls on flights to contend with. Additionally, the tolerance for a non-responsive airliner in US airspace would be very low and would likely end up on the wrong end of a sidewinder before it approached a major population center.

14. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Yes, but that wasn't the point of the CIA assessment, otherwise the report would have been: "9/11-type attack highly unlikely considering current security measures." But that wasn't what it was. It was about Al-Qaeda's lack of organizational capability to carry out a complex terrorist attack. This shows that they were wrong. Again.

15. MayrMeninoCrash

One guy making one pair of bomb-underwear isn't a "complex terrorist attack".

16. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

This.

The 9/11 style attack comment is likely to mean something along the lines of the amount of planning involved in placing 20 or so operatives in the country for an extended period of time, sending them to flight school and paying for them to take repeated flights to test security and have dry runs leading up to the actual attempts.

That takes a lot more organization than making a pair of undies that go boom.

17. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Wrong. Even if you assume that he did the actual bomb making by himself, someone had to recruit him. Someone had to train him in bomb making and other things, most likely somewhere like Yemen. In a camp full of other such people and equipment. Someone had to pay for all this and get the money to him - sleeper agents can't just go around buying bomb making materials with their credit card (the latest issue of AQAP's english-language magazine "Inspire" states this explicitly). Someone had to give him at least a minimal amount of guidance on where and when to strike (there are varying levels of independence, but activating a sleeper agent necessitates at least some measure of contact).

Now, whether this is all done via AQAP internet propaganda or via a human chain of command is irrelevant. The point is the organization still has the capability to take regular people and turn them into bomb-making suicide bombers intent on striking America. I'd hardly call that problem solved.

There is a big difference between an Andres Breivik, who was truly a lone-wolf type terrorist, and this. Note that the story repeatedly mentions AQAP the organization, rather than the person himself. They obviously think it was an organizational operation, as opposed to a zealous sympathizer.

18. MayrMeninoCrash

A bunch of ragheads working together in one shithole country to wire some explosives together into a pair of Jockey shorts doesn't frighten me to the level of having 20 hijackers allowed to freely roam and train in the United States while receiving financial and technical aid from agents in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia and Germany for over one year to prepare for a coordinated attack on a two major buildings. How do we know this guy was "recruited"? Might have been yet another disgruntled loner. And the instructions for the bomb could've been downloaded from the internet.

Look I get that you want to make it seem like we haven't made a dent in the fearsome Al Qaeda machine. It helps continue the narrative that we need to keep spending billions of dollars in the Middle East to wipe out every raghead. Fact is, a couple of dudes hiding out in Yemen doesn't approach the level of sophistication that we saw in the 9/11 attacks.

19. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

That is absolutely not what I am saying, dummy. But the CIA should stop with their politically-worded speculation and focus on their fucking job, because apparently there is still much work to be done.

And I assume he was recruited because of how they are talking about it:

That doesn't sound like some loner to me. And regarding the sophistication - you have it all wrong. Organizations like AQAP are INTENTIONALLY shifting to things on a more simpler level precisely for that reason. They aren't planning 9/11-type attacks because they draw too much attention. They are working on the stuff that we aren't looking for. They haven't gotten there yet, but they are always trying. That's why including the 9/11 thing in that CIA analysis was a political smoke screen. They aren't even trying to carry out those types of things, and therefore mentioning it is just a way to pat themselves on the back for no real reason.

20. MayrMeninoCrash

Why the personal insults?

21. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Really? I figured that by intentionally using little kiddie terms like "dummy" or "silly" it would be obvious that I wasn't attacking you (I would have said something like "asshole" or "fuckwad" or whatever if I was really angry). It's just the way my brain works, I guess. I need to have something in there, and writing "blah blah blah, Mayr" every time just gets kinda boring. Didn't mean anything by it.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

OK cool...just cuz you're wrong and I'm right, we don't need to get petty with each other :thumbsup:

23. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I recently listened to the Louis CK vs. Bill Donahue fight from O&A, and Louis called him a blockhead. It was on free FM and he struggled to find an insult on the spot and it was fucking hilarious (got line of the day). I just figure the really tame insults don't rise above the level of background noise here. In fact, it's gotten me into trouble IRL. We get aggressive here just for the sake of being aggressive. Sometimes I'll do that and the person in front of me will go "what the fuck just happened? I just told you I enjoyed the Phantom Menace and now you're yelling at me." Thanks, Wackbag!

24. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

[​IMG]

25. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator