Al Sharpton is a Roboho

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
Sharpton to TMZ: "Roboho" a Big No No

Posted Jul 9th 2007 5:52PM by TMZ Staff

National Action Network President Al Sharpton has set his sights on TMZ.com over the word "Roboho" in a fashion piece that was published two weeks ago:

"Calling any woman a "ho" is demeaning and abusive and it should not be tolerated on any level. It is intolerable to think that TMZ.com would find humor in calling Beyonce -- someone who symbolizes the strength, dignity and uplifting of Black women -- a "Roboho," and they should be denounced by the entire community for glorifying the continued oppression of women with this derogatory term. Racism in America is perpetuated by ignorance and hate and using one's airwaves or media entity to promote it is a blatant setback to civil rights and the advancement of equality.

National Action Network has been in the forefront of protesting the word "ho" and will hold a 20-city tour featuring 100 women in each market on August 7th to protest the use of the word "ho" as well as the "N" and "B" words. We encourage TMZ.com to retract their misogynistic labeling of Beyonce and apologize immediately."
http://www.tmz.com/2007/07/09/sharpton-to-tmz-roboho-a-big-no-no/#comments

queeby

Irrelevant Liberal
Jun 12, 2004
Columbus OH
In looking at the comments on TMZ (who will not apologize) people are pretty Anti-Sharpton. That is pretty encouraging, since these are the people that are generally pretty easily led to outrage.

augiep38

Aug 9, 2005
when i was in hs we used to call the blacks bobos - seeing roboho made me remember that :D

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I can't see tmz doing anything but telling him to basically fuck off.

Opanie

May 30, 2007
Sharpton just picked a fight he can not win. His association is all about putting pressure on the advertisers. It's the web, Al. If websites who show people pissing and shitting into each others mouths can find advertisers, TMZ will have no problem finding replacement advertising. Al will rattle his sabre for a few days, then simply lose interest and disappear once he realizes he's having no impact on this front. He'll go back to picking softer, more vulnerable targets (scapegoats). The web is still way too wild for anyone to pay attention to this one.

Feb 20, 2007
He is an idiot. Its called free speech, and there is no way he can do shit. Its the internet, you dolt. You picked the wrong market, jackass. With a google rating of 7, they are going to be doing pretty good any way you put it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
If it weren't for robo-hos how could 'Baggers get laid?

SabresRule

May 19, 2006
Buffalo
Check this out from the National Action Network web site.

JUSTICE PARTNERS

Reverend Al Sharpton's National Action Network is one of the nations leading social justice and civil rights organizations and we need your help! We are asking for 100,000 people to give $10 and become part of the Drum Beat for justice.

to JOIN the 100,000 Drum Majors for JUSTICE PARTNERS
GET INTO THE ACTION NOW!
$1,000 Corporate Membership
$5,000 Lifetime Corporate Membership

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
TMZ's Response

The Truth, The Ho Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Posted Jul 9th 2007 5:54PM by TMZ Staff

Thank you Rev. Sharpton. In response to your statement questioning TMZ's use of the term "roboho," first and foremost, please note that we called Beyonce's performance outfit "roboho" not Ms. Knowles herself. There is a difference. One need not know a celebrity personally to have an opinion on their wardrobe. Joan Rivers created an entire industry based on this fact.

As to accusations that our comment was racially motivated, TMZ has humorously called into question many celebs for wearing racy outfits -- regardless of their race. In the past, TMZ referred to Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice, as "poshtitute," Hulk Hogan's daughter a "working girl" and called Lindsay Lohan's trashy ensemble a "HO-rror." A tight mini-dress is a tight mini-dress! Even Kid Rock got a humorous "ho" reference in a December 2006 story, and last we checked, he was neither Black nor a woman.

The point of the BET Awards story was to humorously highlight the fashion missteps of celebrity attendees at the show. We were making light of their outfits -- not who they are as people. With everything serious going on in our world, if you can't make fun of something as superficial as awards show clothing, then what can you make fun of? TMZ has done similar fashion stories for the Oscars, Grammys, Emmys, CMTs, etc. If nothing else, the wardrobe critique of the BET Awards proved that TMZ is an equal opportunity offender when it comes to the snarky fashion policing of Hollywood.

We ask you, should the word "ho" be banned? Or only in reference to Black women? Isn't the context in which a word is used almost as important, if not more so, than the actual word? While others may have used the term with maliciousness -- we clearly did not. It was a humor piece -- as all of our fashion roundup stories are.

TMZ appreciates your feedback, Rev. Sharpton, and the dialogue it has opened, but it is clear that the only thing more subjective than what is fashionable, is what one finds funny.
http://www.tmz.com/2007/07/09/the-truth-the-ho-truth-and-nothing-but-the-truth/

I changed that part to red for emphasis.

Generally, it's a good response. It points out the slippery slope argument, racial hypocrisy, and also the importance of context.

But, there is an inference that Imus used the term "ho" with maliciousness ("others"), when, in fact, he did not. It was also humor w/o any malice.

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
What is Sharpton doing? I had more respect for him when he was "fighting for" blacks who were beat up by whitey.

Where does he (and his group) get off trying to stop people from using words? Especially when they are clearly jokes. I wish someone would bug his office so we can hear him say Cracka and cunt and all the things you know any ole person would say. Someone needs to be debating him and just keep repeating "nigga please".

Levin is also an attorney so he knows a thing or two about the constitution.

May 15, 2007
Check this out from the National Action Network web site.

JUSTICE PARTNERS

Reverend Al Sharpton's National Action Network is one of the nations leading social justice and civil rights organizations and we need your help! We are asking for 100,000 people to give $10 and become part of the Drum Beat for justice.