Alabama’s immigration reform again cuts unemployment

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Alabama’s unemployment rate continues to drop amid state-wide enforcement of a new immigration law, despite Democratic efforts to block and stigmatize the popular reform.
December’s unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent, down from 8.7 percent in November and 9.8 percent in September.
“In the last three months alone, we’ve seen an unprecedented drop of 1.7 percentage points,” noted Alabama Republican Gov. Robert Bentley in a Jan. 20 statement.
“Our rate is once again below the national average, and over 41,000 more Alabamians are employed now than at the beginning of the year… but we still have work to do,” said Bentley.
The drop began after a bipartisan 2011 law toughened the state’s immigration policies.
The reform prompted many low-skilled illegal immigrants to leave the state, and was slammed by advocates for illegal immigrants, including Tom Perez, the chief of the Justice Department’s civil regulation division.
Many established media outlets have highlighted the departing illegals and controversial portions of the law — which forced schools to verify the immigration status of students, while downplaying the employment gains and the law’s popularity.

Perez and immigration advocates have sued the state to halt enforcement of the apparent employment-boosting measure.
The Democrats’ focus on immigration is largely intended to rally Hispanic voters behind President Barack Obama.
Multiple polls show that Hispanic-American voters believe that jobs and education are their top political issues.
But the polls also show that heated controversies over immigration tend to rally Hispanic support for Democratic candidates.
Democratic politicians and activists try to create controversies over the issue, partly by portraying bipartisan efforts to curb immigration as racist.
For example, numerous Democrats have declared that former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s call for immigration enforcement is “extreme.”
Romney “would become the most extreme presidential nominee of our time,” Florida Democratic Rep. Ted Deutch declared in a joint Jan. 12 press conference with fellow Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the head of the Democratic National Committee.
Alabama’s unemployment rate is now the 28th lowest in the country. In September the state placed near the bottom of the national list, at number 42.
The state has also added 35,400 new jobs since January 2011.
Still, many counties have very high unemployment rates. For example, the formal unemployment rate in majority-black Wilcox County is 16.3%. It is 13.7 percent in Bullock County, and 13.5 percent in Perry County and Lowndes County.
The unemployment rate in next-door Georgia is 9.7 percent, down from 10.3 percent in September, according to Georgia’s department of labor.
In neighboring Mississippi, the December data has not been released. In November, the unemployment rate was 10.5 percent, slightly down form 10.6 percent in September.
Nationally, the unemployment rate is 8.5 percent. However, that rate only counts people who have look for jobs in the last four weeks. Since January 2009, millions of workers have given up looking for jobs or remain stuck in part-time jobs.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/20/alabamas-immigration-reform-again-cuts-unemployment/#ixzz1kDl83vLX

[video=youtube;IHamad9Bfb4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHamad9Bfb4[/video]

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
But....but......no more tacos!

I do love the fact that the laws are working, and the immigration advocates are going batshit over it. After ICE raided the packing plant in Omaha a couple years ago and carted off over 200 illegals, the packing plant started hiring blacks and whites....production went up.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
The comments on Fark are fucking hilarious.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
and this is surprising to anyone?

Its actually a real tough position for the Democrats to be in, they need illegals to vote for them, but they also need the money from the labor unions and the labor unions only have money if union members are working

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
What happened to that article a couple of months back that said the Americans weren't taking the jobs left open by the deported illegals?

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
What happened to that article a couple of months back that said the Americans weren't taking the jobs left open by the deported illegals?
Yeah, when shit gets bad enough cutting meat in a packing plant for $12 an hour isn't so beneath people that are trying to live on $250 a week unemployment benefits that are about to be cut off.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, when shit gets bad enough cutting meat in a packing plant for $12 an hour isn't so beneath people that are trying to live on $250 a week unemployment benefits that are about to be cut off.
Shit a year ago the idea of having a $12 an hour job would have made me jump for fucking joy.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

Yep, illegals just lower the cost of labor

While I'm not a fan of Santorum (I'd still vote for him over any Democrat in a 2 candidate election) he is right that some jobs can't go overseas - but of course we can just bring cheap labor here with illegals

If you think about it, cheap labor has been the biggest problem with this country since day 1

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Its actually a real tough position for the Democrats to be in, they need illegals to vote for them, but they also need the money from the labor unions and the labor unions only have money if union members are working
Now you're being silly. Illegals can't vote.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
A friend of mine had to take a job cutting meat after he got laid off from a manufacturing job. The first thing he noticed was that the illegals working in the plant do NOT like gringos cutting meat in THEIR plant. A white face at the cutting table means one of their familia hanging out at the Home Depot parking lot.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
A friend of mine had to take a job cutting meat after he got laid off from a manufacturing job. The first thing he noticed was that the illegals working in the plant do NOT like gringos cutting meat in THEIR plant. A white face at the cutting table means one of their familia hanging out at the Home Depot parking lot.
Noticed the same shit when I did landscaping. I loved the fact that I could run circles around those fucking cunts. "gringos are lazy" they would always say. Then they would have their liquid lunch and lay around doing nothing.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Hiring an illegal needs to be a strict liability criminal offense - every business owner, every personell director, every officer, every board member, majority stock holder - 1 year in prison and $250k fine per illegal, and anyone else involved in the hiring process

Do that and there will not be any more illegals in the country

And lets stop this shit about it isn't the businesses responsibility to screen applicants

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I wonder if you'd be singing that tune if unemployment was rising in Alabama.
Obviously if that were the case, it would be Obama's fault.

Hiring an illegal needs to be a strict liability criminal offense - every business owner, every personell director, every officer, every board member, majority stock holder - 1 year in prison and $250k fine per illegal, and anyone else involved in the hiring process

Do that and there will not be any more illegals in the country

And lets stop this shit about it isn't the businesses responsibility to screen applicants
How do you propose companies weed out illegals? Seriously, give me a workable solution that employers can follow to assure they don't hire anyone not permitted to work here.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
How do you propose companies weed out illegals? Seriously, give me a workable solution that employers can follow to assure they don't hire anyone not permitted to work here.
Um don't hire them? Is that a serious question. It's really not that complicated and its amazing how problems seem to go away when actual consequences are imposed. Do you think people hire them on accident?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

The same way they work out if someone is 18 or not

Trust me in 95% of the cases they know they are hiring illegals and they are knowingly doing so because they won't have to pay payroll taxes

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Um don't hire them? Is that a serious question. It's really not that complicated and its amazing how problems seem to go away when actual consequences are imposed. Do you think people hire them on accident?
The same way they work out if someone is 18 or not

Trust me in 95% of the cases they know they are hiring illegals and they are knowingly doing so because they won't have to pay payroll taxes
All you have to provide an employer, per the Federal Government, is proof of age and proof of residency, usually a Driver's License and Social Security Card. These are used to fill out a I-9, which is sent to the IRS. Both DL's and SSN's can be easily faked, so whose problem is it that an employee presents those documents and they later turn up to be forgeries. I can assure you we've hired many illegals who have had legit looking documents. Down the road when the I-9's were returned as being invalid, it's the employer's responsibility to re-verify the info or fire the employee for providing false info. But it is not on the employer to verify whether documents presented may or may not be valid, nor are we to weed out employees based on things like looks, names or any other metric that would physically indicate them as being illegal.

What you are suggesting is that employers take on the role of the Federal Government for every employee that steps foot in the door. And I thought you were against oppressive government regulations on employers.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Mayr is definitely a classic lib. No one should be held accountable for their actions.

In the real world employers know exactly who they are hiring. I worked in landscaping and my boss had no delusion of the legal status of the brown crews. No one did.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Again this may just sound like some crazy conservative propaganda that will destroy the country but make people responsible for their actions and watch the problems disappear. That shit used to work back in the day.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
All you have to provide an employer, per the Federal Government, is proof of age and proof of residency, usually a Driver's License and Social Security Card. These are used to fill out a I-9, which is sent to the IRS. Both DL's and SSN's can be easily faked, so whose problem is it that an employee presents those documents and they later turn up to be forgeries. I can assure you we've hired many illegals who have had legit looking documents. Down the road when the I-9's were returned as being invalid, it's the employer's responsibility to re-verify the info or fire the employee for providing false info. But it is not on the employer to verify whether documents presented may or may not be valid, nor are we to weed out employees based on things like looks, names or any other metric that would physically indicate them as being illegal.

What you are suggesting is that employers take on the role of the Federal Government for every employee that steps foot in the door. And I thought you were against oppressive government regulations on employers.

So in this case I might as well tell a prospective employeer my JD is from Yale instead of Widener

What would you do if you got an invalid check ?

Any employeer who isn't capable of verifying legal status is either lazy, incompetent, or just corrupt

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.

Eeeeek, there's a chink in my armor!!!! I'll go ahead and dip my toe into the pool of hot lava, that I support a national id, complete with fingerprint verification. There I said it.....whew, now let me go lace up my jack boots and stomp some jews and gypsys and maybe cornhole me a homo.

Flame away. I want a national ID, that can't be counterfeited. I have on my flame suit, let me have it.