Alabama Judge Orders Man to Jail for Sagging Pants

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Ala. Judge Orders Man to Jail for Sagging Pants

PRATTVILLE, Ala. April 11, 2012 (AP)

A central Alabama judge ordered a man to serve three days in jail for contempt of court for wearing so-called saggy pants.

Twenty-year-old LaMarcus D. Ramsey was in Autauga County Circuit Court on Tuesday to enter a plea on a charge of receiving stolen property.

Circuit Judge John Bush told Ramsey his blue jeans were sagging too low and gave him the three-day stint. The judge told Ramsey to buy pants that fit or a belt when he gets out of the county jail.

The judge says he finds it disrespectful and a disruption when people wear pants below their waistline in his chambers.

"To me it's not any different than if someone stood up in court and started cussing everybody out," Bush said. "It's disrespectful conduct and I think as judges we're expected to at least have some degree of control and respect for the courtroom the people have given us charge of."

Calls to Ramsey's public defender were not immediately returned.

———

Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com
GTR?

GTR? :haha7:

LaMarcus D. Ramsey

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
What are some of those other pant styles we got?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I like the cut of this guy's jib...

Judge addresses sagging pants spotlight
1:21 PM, Apr. 11, 2012

Circuit Judge John Bush listens as family members speak during his sentencing hearing at the Elmore County Judicial Complex in Wetumpka, Ala. on Tuesday August 18, 2009. (Montgomery Advertiser, Mickey Welsh)

Autauga County Circuit Judge John Bush said he’s shocked by the national attention he’s received after sentencing a Prattville man to three days in jail for contempt of court because his jeans were sagging too low.

Bush, a seasoned jurist with more than 25 years on the bench, said Wednesday morning his office had fielded calls from local media outlets as well as the Associated Press and other national news outlets. The sentence was first reported in Wednesday’s Montgomery Advertiser.

“People are asking me: Is this out of the norm?” Bush said of his contempt citation. “And I tell them ‘no,’ that the only thing that’s different is that most of the time I give a person five days in jail. This time, I gave the young man three. And this time our local reporter was in the courtroom.”

Bush was referring to Advertiser reporter Marty Roney, who reported Bush’s citation against LaMarcus D. Ramsey, 20, of Prattville. Ramsey was in Autauga County Circuit Court on Tuesday to enter a plea on a charge of receiving stolen property.

Bush took exception to the fact that Ramsey’s blue jeans were sagging too low.

Ramsey’s three-day stint will be served in the Autauga Metro jail.

“You are in contempt of court because you showed your butt in court,” a visibly irate Bush told Ramsey on Tuesday. “You can spend three days in jail. When you get out you can buy pants that fit, or at least get a belt to hold up your pants so your underwear doesn’t show.”

Bush said he was surprised by the national attention his citation has received, however, he said he understands why the situation struck a chord.

“I feel the public in general is sick and tired of the fundamental lack of respect we see in everyday life,” he said Wednesday. “This is the courtroom. You need to respect the building and what it stands for. This is not my courtroom. This is the people’s house. And the citizens of the 19th Judicial Circuit of Alabama expect me to preserve the dignity and respect of their courtroom.”

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120411019

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I was down at court the other day and we were just talking about this. My boss was telling me he went down for a drinking summons and he dressed in a shirt and tie..

He said this as we watched people showing up to court in their best sneakers, best hat with the flat brim and best sweatshirt.. good for this guy.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
“People are asking me: Is this out of the norm?” Bush said of his contempt citation. “And I tell them ‘no,’ that the only thing that’s different is that most of the time I give a person five days in jail. This time, I gave the young man three. And this time our local reporter was in the courtroom.”
Great.

Aug 11, 2005
In prison sagging pants is a sign that you want gay sex.
yes it is

and at UPS where I work there is a "no sagging" policy at the guard shack before you can enter the building now

(lotta darkies where I work..the town has really gone down. Wait this isn't pertinent to the topic

I should shup now)

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
yes it is

and at UPS where I work there is a "no sagging" policy at the guard shack before you can enter the building now

(lotta darkies where I work..the town has really gone down. Wait this isn't pertinent to the topic

I should shup now)
I've never seen a UPS truck with a breathalyzer on it before.

Absolutely couldn't resist the urge to post that.

Aug 11, 2005
I've never seen a UPS truck with a breathalyzer on it before.

Absolutely couldn't resist the urge to post that.
you should try the third joke in your head and you wont sound like a hack

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Good!

i freakin' hate sagging!

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
How long before the judge is charged with a hate crime?