Alamo Rent a Car Must Pay Muslim Woman $288G for Banning Scarf

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
Alamo Rent a Car Must Pay Muslim Woman $288G for Banning Scarf

Saturday, June 02, 2007
PHOENIX — A federal jury in Phoenix decided that Alamo Rent A Car must pay a Muslim woman $288,000 for firing her for wearing a head scarf during the holy month of Ramadan.
Bilan Nur was fired just four months after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. She had worked at the company's Phoenix offices since 1999.
Then 22, Nur complained to the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which sued the company for what it called a "post 9-11 backlash." The suit says she was fired in violation of the Civil Rights Act for exercising her religious beliefs.
A federal judge agreed last year, ruling that Alamo was guilty of illegal discrimination and did not try to accommodate her.
A jury started hearing the damages part of the case on Tuesday and reached a verdict Friday.
A spokesman for Alamo declined comment.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
hopefully they will apeal it or have the judgement knocked down. aint no cunts hat worth 288gs

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
She started in 1999 and was fired at the end of 2001. I want to know 1) did she wear the scarf during Ramadan of '99 & '00? 2) Did Alamo allow it?

PDX909

Not that I really give a fuck but I bet you'll find in the Alamo employee handbook a statement somewhere that says they care and undertand about racial and reliigious diversity in the work place, most companies do these days. I imagine the bulk of the 288K is probably lost earnings from the time of dismissal to the date of the settlement. I think it's a pretty fair amount actually when you think what some lawyers would have gone for. I also think the public and our own reactions would have been quite different if it was someone wearing a yamaka or a crucifix. If the lady was legally working in this country as a citizen or permanent resident then she should be afforded all the civil rights and protections that we expect ourselves.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Not that I really give a fuck but I bet you'll find in the Alamo employee handbook a statement somewhere that says they care and undertand about racial and reliigious diversity in the work place, most companies do these days. I imagine the bulk of the 288K is probably lost earnings from the time of dismissal to the date of the settlement. I think it's a pretty fair amount actually when you think what some lawyers would have gone for. I also think the public and our own reactions would have been quite different if it was someone wearing a yamaka or a crucifix. If the lady was legally working in this country as a citizen or permanent resident then she should be afforded all the civil rights and protections that we expect ourselves.
Good points. Even though I agree she should not have been fired I at first thought 288k was excessive. That is until I realized the amount covered her income from 2001.

Actually, that is a pretty fair amount considering what courts sometimes award.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Yeah, shouldn't get fired for that but at most it's worth around $10k if it was just your standard low level rent a car job (since she was 22, I assume it was).

augiep38

three pieces of information necessary to determine if the verdict is justified

1. is there company policy restricting headwear
2. had she worn her scarf in the years prior to the termination
3. are other employees allowed to wear hats

these savages use the courts against us. I bet that she doesn't give a shit about ramadan or any other of their savage holidays. She is just trying to use liberal white guilt in her favor.

Schmed

I'm a corpse without a soul...
three pieces of information necessary to determine if the verdict is justified

1. is there company policy restricting headwear
2. had she worn her scarf in the years prior to the termination
3. are other employees allowed to wear hats

these savages use the courts against us. I bet that she doesn't give a shit about ramadan or any other of their savage holidays. She is just trying to use liberal white guilt in her favor.
Would I be able to show up for work wearing my white hood ?:)

She's probably one of the "domestic Muslims" that seem to convert to that religion because of their hatred of the white race.