Alicia Vikander is the The Girl With The Reboot Tattoo

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.thewrap.com/alicia-vikan...girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-sequel-exclusive/

Sony’s rebooting the Lisbeth Salander franchise as Steven Knight prepares to adapt “The Girl in the Spider’s Web”

Rooney Mara will not reprise her role as hacker heroine Lisbeth Salander in Sony’s forthcoming adaptation of “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” and Sony Pictures is interested in having Alicia Vikander replace her in a proposed reboot of the franchise, an individual familiar with the studio’s thinking has told TheWrap.

Director David Fincher and star Daniel Craig are also unlikely to return for the sequel, which will be based on the fourth novel in the late Stieg Larsson‘s Millennium series that was written after his death by David Lagercrantz.

Sony had initially been planning to adapt “The Girl Who Played With Fire,” shelling out mid-seven figures for a script by Steve Zaillian. “Fire” is now expected to follow “Spider’s Web,” which Oscar-nominated writer Steven Knight (“Locke”) is in negotiations to adapt for the studio.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The fuck?!?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
So they are bypassing more nazis and the trial? Good.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
I hate Hollywood.

May 30, 2013
Have any of you read The Girl in the Spider's Web? How does it hold up against Larsson's work?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Have any of you read The Girl in the Spider's Web? How does it hold up against Larsson's work?
I saw it yesterday and after reading the synopsis promptly put it back down. After the 3rd Larsson book Im out, even Hornet's nest felt like a chore and finished it out of some strange sense of obligation.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I never read the novels, but I saw the original movie, and the Fincher version is nowhere near as good. And the original movie wasn't particularly great either. So how much worse could it get with the hot NUDE android chick from Ex Machina?

She's gonna be at least as good as Rooney Mara, and way prettier. I'm also unconcerned about losing Fincher. I used to like him, but let's be honest: the last good movie he made came out 16 years ago.

Last edited:

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I never read the novels, but I saw the original movie, and the Fincher version is nowhere near as good. And the original movie wasn't particularly great either. So how much worse could it get with the hot NUDE android chick from Ex Machina?

She's gonna be at least as good as Rooney Mara, and way prettier. I'm also unconcerned about losing Fincher. I used to like him, but let's be honest: the last good movie he made came out 16 years ago.
That character isn't supposed to be pretty.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I saw it yesterday and after reading the synopsis promptly put it back down. After the 3rd Larsson book Im out, even Hornet's nest felt like a chore and finished it out of some strange sense of obligation.
I'm going through the second book right now. It's definitely not as good as I remember the first one being, but it's not necessarily bad. Though it has a fair amount of unnecessary padding.

Why they're doing these out of order doesn't make sense. That they didn't follow Dragon up right away was stupid on their part. Going back with a whole other cast and director is going to be a disaster.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

Ok let's take this one by one:

The Fincher version isn't as good as the original, but it's still a good adaptation.

The original movie is terrific.

It could get a lot worse since they're adapting a novel that isn't written by the original author and from what I understand is the mystery thriller equivalent to Armada.

Poor sad Rooney Mara.

Alicia Vikander is pretty.

Fincher's last good movie came out in 2011. 2010 if you don't count Dragon Tattoo. Lowest I'm willing to go is 2007 with Zodiac. If you're going to make beef with that you're not only going to lose your spot on @Jacuzzi Billy 's most trusted list, you're going to cost Jacuzzi Billy his spot as the "most trusted person on who to trust." I will assume you simply forgot Zodiac.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Fincher's last good movie came out in 2011. 2010 if you don't count Dragon Tattoo. Lowest I'm willing to go is 2007 with Zodiac. If you're going to make beef with that you're not only going to lose your spot on @Jacuzzi Billy 's most trusted list, you're going to cost Jacuzzi Billy his spot as the "most trusted person on who to trust." I will assume you simply forgot Zodiac.
I take it you don't like the single movie he's made post Dragon Tattoo.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I take it you don't like the single movie he's made post Dragon Tattoo.
I didn't think it was too bad, but I'm aware there are folks here that didn't like it and didn't feel like fighting for it. If someone wants to go a few rounds on Zodiac though, my shirt is off and I'm ready.

May 30, 2013
I didn't think it was too bad, but I'm aware there are folks here that didn't like it and didn't feel like fighting for it. If someone wants to go a few rounds on Zodiac though, my shirt is off and I'm ready.
I don't see how anyone can think Zodiac was anything other than a tier 1 movie. Norm had to have forgotten it.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I liked Zodiac. It's not really the type of movie that highlights direction but he did a flawless job given the subject.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Wait, so we're rebooting the series and we haven't even finished the trilogy with Rooney Mara?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I don't see how anyone can think Zodiac was anything other than a tier 1 movie. Norm had to have forgotten it.
I didn't dislike Zodiac, it's a good story told relatively seamlessly, but I don't remember anything special about it, other than Gyllenhaal doing a good job.

In general, there doesn't seem to be anything whatsoever interesting about Fincher's directing for the last 15 years. He made other OK movies too, not just Zodiac. The Social Network tells the story just fine, and so does The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (there are other problems with it, like the acting and writing). I couldn't sit through it, but some people even seem to like Benjamin Button...or at least they don't usually hate the directing, they just hate the story and Brad Pitt's acting.

But, compared to the directing in Fight Club, Seven, or even The Game, none of this stuff is interesting, as far as the directing goes. He's not bad, it's not like he stinks or anything, he does a professional job, pays attention to all the details, you can even sense artistic talent in those details, but it's not spectacular, the way it was for the first half of his career. He's failing to push the envelope, and really put his talent on display, front and center, the way other great directors do.

Let's put it this way: if a project loses Tarantino, Eastwood or Michael Mann, it's fucked. You're not replacing them. If it loses Fincher, there's a chance the replacement will do at least as well and no one will notice the change. (note that I'm using names generally considered at or below Fincher's level, I'm not comparing him to Kubrick or Scorsese...that would be unfair)

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I didn't dislike Zodiac, it's a good story told relatively seamlessly, but I don't remember anything special about it, other than Gyllenhaal doing a good job.

In general, there doesn't seem to be anything whatsoever interesting about Fincher's directing for the last 15 years. He made other OK movies too, not just Zodiac. The Social Network tells the story just fine, and so does The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (there are other problems with it, like the acting and writing). I couldn't sit through it, but some people even seem to like Benjamin Button...or at least they don't usually hate the directing, they just hate the story and Brad Pitt's acting.

But, compared to the directing in Fight Club, Seven, or even The Game, none of this stuff is interesting, as far as the directing goes. He's not bad, it's not like he stinks or anything, he does a professional job, pays attention to all the details, you can even sense artistic talent in those details, but it's not spectacular, the way it was for the first half of his career. He's failing to push the envelope, and really put his talent on display, front and center, the way other great directors do.

Let's put it this way: if a project loses Tarantino, Eastwood or Michael Mann, it's fucked. You're not replacing them. If it loses Fincher, there's a chance the replacement will do at least as well and no one will notice the change. (note that I'm using names generally considered at or below Fincher's level, I'm not comparing him to Kubrick or Scorsese...that would be unfair)
Steve Jobs lost Fincher and it didn't seem to hurt the reviews. However, it gave the box office a good swift kick in the jimmies. It's barely going to beat the Ashton Kutcher Jobs. Now that may have more to do with the fact that nobody gives a flying fuck about Steve Jobs, but it's certainly worth noting. Another movie worth noting for losing Fincher and perhaps suffering as a result is Mission Impossible 3, which is by far the lowest grossing entry in the series. (Although some people say it's the best film - go figure.)

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Michael Mann?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Can you imagine what Miami Vice would have been without him?
Something that wouldn't have broke the careers of Foxx and Farrell? Seriously though, when I think of 2015 movies, I think of Blackhat.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Something that wouldn't have broke the careers of Foxx and Farrell? Seriously though, when I think of 2015 movies, I think of Blackhat.
Poor Thor just can't catch a break. What do you think will happen with his Moby Dick movie? The one that opens the week before Star Wars?

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Poor Thor just can't catch a break. What do you think will happen with his Moby Dick movie? The one that opens the week before Star Wars?
There's a Moby Dick movie oh hey Star Wars is coming out this gonna be good.

May 30, 2013
@whiskeyguy is going to watch 5 minutes of it and leave. Unfortunately for Thor, he'll be the only one in the theater.